2020/06/09 12:47:40
Stevogenix
I recently purchased this PSU
Connected everything up, double checked connections. However when it's running I can really hear what can only describe a hard drive frantically searching for something. I.e the read and write heads of a hard drive "clicking" as they do. Or it sounds like a geiger counter.
In fact I originally thought it was my nas server busy that sits on top of my desk.
However I narrowed it down to the psu and it's really distracting. My old cheaper CiT one was silent in this regards

It starts making this noise about 2 minuets after start upIt only stops making the noise, when loading a application. And then resumes when it has loaded.

I have requested it to be returned to the place where I bought it from. But they may say its not faulty. To me it should not sound like that fans whirring perhaps but not the sound of hard disk heads working really hard reading and writing.. do all evga power supplies sound like this.

Regards
2020/06/09 13:29:00
Cool GTX
Welcome to the EVGA Forums

No idea if it is the fan or not ... but, I agree it should not be happening

You only used the wires that can with the New PSU & they are All properly inserted & Latched  ?

ECO switch On or Off ?

Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

2020/06/09 14:38:36
Stevogenix
Hi Yes I used only the supplied cables, including the main power cable from the mains..

Eco on or off does not make a difference. It still sounds like it's a hard disk frantically reading data..
2020/06/09 17:21:37
Cool GTX
RMA time or exchange at original source
2020/06/10 00:45:31
Stevogenix
Thank you. I have arranged for it to be replaced by the place I bought it from. But I am worried about two things. That all EVGA PSU's behave like this (I thought they where supposed to be high quality, and I was lured in by the 10 year warranty). And the place I bought it from decide that this is normal and say it's not faulty.
2020/06/10 01:27:49
bob16314
Stevogenix
I have arranged for it to be replaced by the place I bought it from. But I am worried about two things. That all EVGA PSU's behave like this (I thought they where supposed to be high quality, and I was lured in by the 10 year warranty). And the place I bought it from decide that this is normal and say it's not faulty.

1. Like everything else, there may be inherent design flaws in certain models, but, maybe not and it's just your unit that has something wrong with it (that happens).

2. If they hassle you about replacing it, you can see about getting a refund for it or exchanging it or buying another model from them..You can always RMA it to EVGA.
2020/06/10 08:38:31
Stevogenix
Ok thankyou.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account