2020/06/03 06:43:55
Jdawgz
Yesterday, I got my order of an i7 10700 and EVGA Z490FTW, an $800 affair. Here's what I've learned from the day-1 BIOS.

Sometimes, the BIOS will disable active SATA ports when the CMOS has been reset. I don't know why, but it's just an extra step for users when re-entering settings.

The clear CMOS button is at the bottom of the board, in addition to the BIOS select button. On my Z97 and Z270 FTW board, the button was at the top next to the power and reset switches. Also, the button is black, in contrast to having been traditionally red. I guess this was an efficiency choice, since the BIOS chips seem to be at the bottom of the board too.

Overclocking RAM has issues. I have a 16x4 set (64Gb) with an XMP rated clock of 3600Mhz, and the system flat out won't boot unless I downclock it to 3200Mhz. Even then, the system will sometimes refuse to boot and give me an error code of "55". When I apply no XMP overclock, there are no issues. Back on my Z270FTW board, I could easily put the same kit up to 3600Mhz at 1.5V with no issues.

The system WILL NOT shut down from windows. I will tell the system to shut down, but the system will exit windows, but then stay in a half-awake state where the CPU is being used somewhat, but won't shut off. I gave it around 15 minutes to shut off on its own, but it won't. I have to hold down the power button.

The 10700 is rated for up to 4.8Ghz, but will only go up to 4.6Ghz. I will try to go into the BIOS (yes, I know it's not a K chip, but I wanted to see if I could encourage it to behave), and set the all-core frequency to 4.8Ghz with an AVX offset of 0, but no luck.

I can't use the WifFi as a hotspot for my iPhone SE. They are both WiFi 6 compatible, so I'm guessing it's just a software issue. I used to be able to use an Intel WiFi 6 m.2 key as a hotspot for my iPhone SE on my Z270FTW board.

I hope this helps new users and the system designers when creating new BIOS versions.
2020/06/03 07:12:39
rjohnson11
Sorry for the delay as your post was stuck in the spam filter. I'll forward this to EVGA. 
2020/06/03 08:04:27
Cool GTX
1) CMOS reset = factory default - so, thats why the SATA ports are lost when you reset --> they are Not on by default

2) RAM & XMP --> has always proved to be less than trouble / crash free ... manual settings are Best Practice & CPU quality & Voltage setting impact RAM

3) Windows not shutting down .. is Fast Startup turned Off ?  & New OS will index All drives it sees (slow process) + there are the automatic updates

4) CPU GHz --> BIOS settings & Loads ?  How are you testing ... not sure you can force that CPU to Max OC all cores in BIOS
2020/06/03 09:50:59
Jdawgz
I guess I got used to how smoothly things ran on my 270 FTW board.

1) SATA ports were all on by default (minus the 0/1 ports that were being used by my NVME drive). My opinion is that they should be on by default, even if an NVME drive is installed or not.

2) XMP on my Z270 worked without any fuss. I wonder if it is the 1.3V limit that Intel puts on the RAM. I ran 1.5V on my kit running at 3600Mhz.

3) My fast startup setting is whatever the default version is.

4) BIOS settings were set to manual 48x the base clock. I set the voltage to adaptive. I can only see the operating frequency since Eleet and Eleet X1 do not support the z490 board.
2020/06/03 10:13:45
Cool GTX
With New hardware ... Windows 10 Fast startup is Not your Friend ... & Yes, it is On by default & so is Xbox dvr ... thank MS

Turn Off - Windows 10 Fast Startup OFF, when upgrading drivers, firmware or hardware

With Windows 10 there is a new “hybrid” startup mode that should cut down on boot up times.  It does this by putting the PC into hibernation instead of "fully shutting down."

Windows Central - How to disable Windows 10 fast startup (and why you'd want to)

How-to Geek The Pros and Cons of Windows 10’s “Fast Startup” Mode
2020/06/03 17:39:30
EVGA_Lee
Jdawgz
Yesterday, I got my order of an i7 10700 and EVGA Z490FTW, an $800 affair. Here's what I've learned from the day-1 BIOS.

Sometimes, the BIOS will disable active SATA ports when the CMOS has been reset. I don't know why, but it's just an extra step for users when re-entering settings.

The clear CMOS button is at the bottom of the board, in addition to the BIOS select button. On my Z97 and Z270 FTW board, the button was at the top next to the power and reset switches. Also, the button is black, in contrast to having been traditionally red. I guess this was an efficiency choice, since the BIOS chips seem to be at the bottom of the board too.

Overclocking RAM has issues. I have a 16x4 set (64Gb) with an XMP rated clock of 3600Mhz, and the system flat out won't boot unless I downclock it to 3200Mhz. Even then, the system will sometimes refuse to boot and give me an error code of "55". When I apply no XMP overclock, there are no issues. Back on my Z270FTW board, I could easily put the same kit up to 3600Mhz at 1.5V with no issues.

The system WILL NOT shut down from windows. I will tell the system to shut down, but the system will exit windows, but then stay in a half-awake state where the CPU is being used somewhat, but won't shut off. I gave it around 15 minutes to shut off on its own, but it won't. I have to hold down the power button.

The 10700 is rated for up to 4.8Ghz, but will only go up to 4.6Ghz. I will try to go into the BIOS (yes, I know it's not a K chip, but I wanted to see if I could encourage it to behave), and set the all-core frequency to 4.8Ghz with an AVX offset of 0, but no luck.

I can't use the WifFi as a hotspot for my iPhone SE. They are both WiFi 6 compatible, so I'm guessing it's just a software issue. I used to be able to use an Intel WiFi 6 m.2 key as a hotspot for my iPhone SE on my Z270FTW board.

I hope this helps new users and the system designers when creating new BIOS versions.

I'll have our team look into some of these issues.  Which memory brand and kit are you using?  Also, which OS and which build?

The black button near the bottom-right of the board is not a Clear CMOS button - it's the Safe Boot button.  It will load defaults and send you into the BIOS for that boot, but it won't reset your settings.  The Clear CMOS button is located on the I/O panel.

Regarding the turn off issue (or rather lack of turning off issue), is this a fresh install of Windows, or are you reusing an install from a previous board?

Regarding ELEET X1, the first version that supports Z490 was released today:  https://www.evga.com/eleetx1

For the rest, I'll have our team review.
2020/06/04 07:23:17
Jdawgz
EVGATech_LeeM
I'll have our team look into some of these issues.  Which memory brand and kit are you using?  Also, which OS and which build?

I use 2 G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series (2x16Gb) 3600Mhz Model F4-3600C16D-32GVKC for a total of 64Gb.

EVGATech_LeeM
Regarding the turn off issue (or rather lack of turning off issue), is this a fresh install of Windows, or are you reusing an install from a previous board?

It's a 100% fresh install of windows.

EVGATech_LeeM
Regarding ELEET X1, the first version that supports Z490 was released today:

Thanks. I downloaded it and took a look, but I'm surprised that there is still no fan control. Would it be possible to add fan control as a feature of ELEET X1? I've been missing this feature on my Z97 and Z270 boards from EVGA. I would like to be able to change fan settings without having to reboot and go into the BIOS.
2020/06/04 09:56:44
EVGA_Lee
Jdawgz
I use 2 G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series (2x16Gb) 3600Mhz Model F4-3600C16D-32GVKC for a total of 64Gb.

It's a 100% fresh install of windows.

Thanks. I downloaded it and took a look, but I'm surprised that there is still no fan control. Would it be possible to add fan control as a feature of ELEET X1? I've been missing this feature on my Z97 and Z270 boards from EVGA. I would like to be able to change fan settings without having to reboot and go into the BIOS.

Thanks for the memory kit information. I'm finishing up our Memory QVL, and I can tell you that your kit isn't listed on our supported list (other G.Skill 3600MHz memory is on the list, however).  Of course, this doesn't mean that the kit isn't necessarily supported (unless our team tells me otherwise), but it may just be a kit that we didn't have available to test.  The team is still looking into this issue.

Fan control in ELEET X1 is planned down the road.  Right now, our SW team is doing a lot of work on a couple other projects, however.

It seems the team can reproduce the issue with system shutdown, and will be fixed in the next BIOS.  I don't have an ETA, however.

With regards to the CPU, the i7-10700 spec maximum ratio is x48 on 1-core, but x46 for all-cores. Please check the ratio in the OS with CPU-Z.  It's not always running at x48, so you might need to open the all core monitor and check it.

The team tested the WiFi link using an iPhone hotspot and it appeared normal on their side.  Can you check whether the AX201 device is detected in device manager and confirm that the driver/antenna are installed?

Lastly, I still need to know the build version of the Windows you're on.

Edit:  Added additional information regarding memory.
2020/06/04 10:24:34
Jdawgz
EVGATech_LeeM
With regards to the CPU, the i7-10700 spec maximum ratio is x48 on 1-core, but x46 for all-cores. Please check the ratio in the OS with CPU-Z.  It's not always running at x48, so you might need to open the all core monitor and check it.

I opened up ELEET X1 to look at the individual clock frequencies, and they were all at 4.6Ghz. I checked by giving the base clock a 1Mhz boost, and all of the clocks increased to the same value.

EVGATech_LeeM
The team tested the WiFi link using an iPhone hotspot and it appeared normal on their side.  Can you check whether the AX201 device is detected in device manager and confirm that the driver/antenna are installed?

I did not mean using the iPhone as a hotspot for the computer, I meant using the computer as a WiFi 6 hotspot for the phone. One reason I bought the board was to avoid having to buy a $300 router. I was able to get my iPhone to connect to the WiFi by forcing the radio to transmit at 2.4Ghz in windows. The antenna are connected, but the speeds are very slow compared to using a wireless router.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account