2020/06/02 14:25:01
BlueDevil0
Hi experts,

I would like to request you assistance. I've upgraded my old mobo and CPU to a Asus X570 TUF + 3800X. On the first boot everything went fine, I got into windows (same installation, didn't want to format) and installed all the drivers, rebooted once or twice and started benchmarking the CPU, however I noticed that it was running very hot, then I turned off the PC to change the Wraith Prism to High.

After that, the system wouldn't boot anymore (coincidence?), the QLEDs would cycle and eventually stop at the VGA_LED (a few times also with the BOOT_LED on). After trying several things, I found out that with the GPU on the second slot (unfortunately its only x4) it would boot, warning that CMS had to be enabled because this VGA did not support UEFI (what? ).

I'm afraid that if I try to RMA the board and CPU they will say it's my GPUs fault (besides that it would take a long time given the pandemic...), so I'm trying everything I can before RMA. Please consider some of the troublshooting I've done so far
  • Setting wraith to Low again
  • Re-seating CPU
  • Tried different RAM sticks
  • Tried another device on PCIe slot 1 (x1 PCIe wireless card works fine)
  • Tried the GPU on the old system (worked fine)
  • Tried clearing CMOS, removing baterry, setting slot to PCIe Gen 3, enabling\disabling CMS
  • Updating mobo BIOS to 3 different versions
As a last alternative I was thinking of updating GPU's BIOS, but I'm a little scared to do it since this GPU costs almost a year of minimum wage here in Brazil... 

Any sugestions are welcome, thank you in advance! 
2020/06/02 14:53:53
Cool GTX
sorry for the delay ... had to release your post from filter

Welcome to the EVGA Forums 

Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members
2020/06/02 14:58:52
Cool GTX
It is Not the GPU .. you state it works fine in another PC

Please explain:  "I turned off the PC to change the Wraith Prism to High"  --> is this a CPU cooler ?

Sounds like you have something set wrong in the BIOS ....

Do a clean install of OS is best practice with a New MB & CPU

2020/06/02 16:15:14
BlueDevil0
Yes, Wraith prism is the AMD stock cooler, there's a small physical switch to set from Low to High speed. But no changes were made to the BIOS at this point :(

I tried reinstalling windows and it is currently working fine with the GPU on the second slot. However I believe I'm losing performance this way, because of the lower bandwitch (2.5GT/s).

I also think its a bios/compatiblity issue, but I tried reseting CMOS, removing the battery, updating the bios and nothing worked  and at first it worked out of the box.
Maybe if I update the GPU BIOS it will be detected as a new device and it might work?
2020/06/02 16:18:36
Cool GTX
try a different CPU cooler if you have one ... could be an issue with your current cooler - (short?)

MB could have a bad PCIe slot ... always best to use PCIe closest to the CPU

Or -- too much pressure & Not tightening the heatsink slowly & evenly in an "X" pattern --> on the CPU with your cooler ... can displace or bend pins in the CPU socket
2020/06/02 20:53:09
bob16314
A 2080 Ti should work with that mobo right from the get-go with no BIOS/Firmware update needed.

What monitor do you have and what connection (DisplayPort, HDMI, USB Type-C) are you using?..Disconnect your monitor and see if it boots up.

If it boots up, you may need a firmware update for your monitor, or to change your monitor to use a different DisplayPort (if you're using DP) version in it's settings..May need to reset monitor to default settings in it's setup menu..Try a different video output on the card.

Probably don't need the NVIDIA Graphics Firmware Update for DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 Displays, but you could run it anyway just for kicks and see what it says.
2020/06/03 04:54:44
BlueDevil0
Hi guys, thanks for the suggestions!

I've tried reseating the CPU carefully (checked for bent pins or issues on the slot), disconnected the display, tried every port including HDMI, tried several BIOS options regarding CMS, secure boot, etc. but still no luck.

I guess I will just have to RMA the board and hope the issue also happens with their GPU. Too bad I can't be certain it's the board issue, since the first slot is controlled by the CPU... What bugs me is that it worked a few times, anyway, thanks for the help and let me know if you have any other ideas.
2020/06/09 08:56:54
veganfanatic
BlueDevil0

I've tried reseating the CPU carefully (checked for bent pins or issues on the slot), disconnected the display, tried every port including HDMI, tried several BIOS options regarding CMS, secure boot, etc. but still no luck.

I guess I will just have to RMA the board and hope the issue also happens with their GPU. Too bad I can't be certain it's the board issue, since the first slot is controlled by the CPU... What bugs me is that it worked a few times, anyway, thanks for the help and let me know if you have any other ideas.

When you have new hardware like that, a clean install of windows is necessary to get thinks working right.

2020/06/09 09:22:15
rjohnson11
veganfanatic
BlueDevil0

When you have new hardware like that, a clean install of windows is necessary to get thinks working right.

I have an ASUS X570 motherboard and my NVIDIA graphics card worked the first time without issues. In the first slot an RTX 2080, RTX 2070 FTW, and RTX 2080ti have all worked. 

2020/06/14 07:11:56
BlueDevil0
Hi guys,

I found a partial solution (sharing just in case someone with the same issue comes across this post). I used electrical tape to block the GPU contacts to make it into 'physical' PCIe x8 card. This way the motherboard was able to recognize it on the first slot and I'm currently using it as a x8 istead of x4 like before (checked on HWInfo64). I guess this really shows that the issue is on the mobo PCIe (specially on the lanes x9~x16).

Just in case you are wondering, this change made my OC'ed 3DMark Spy GPU score go from ~13400 to ~14700 (my gpu seem to clock really well, at 2160mhz max but on daily use I leave it at 2010mhz@70c). I wonder if it would make much of a difference to actually use it on a x16 slot, I guess the gain would be much smaller.

Obs.: It's been 2 weeks that I've opened the mobo RMA request, still no answer.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account