2020/05/24 14:25:56
RainStryke
I'm curious how many bicyclist we have in the forum, maybe share a picture or biking story. I was also wanting to share my collection. 

I got around to cleaning out my garage today and cleaned up my bikes, here is a picture of them.

Picked this up on a deal for $775. My newest bike, so far i'm loving this thing! Can't wait to get this thing on some trails with more hills...

This is my fastest, 2015 Scott Metrix 20 - Picked it up for $400 if I remember correctly. It's pretty light and top gear is plenty. That bike seat was the best one I could find to take a decent amount of the bump impact, had to go with something cloth, that gel/plastic material was not much help. Biggest problem I have with this bike is... inner tubes... they seem to pop a lot with these 700C tires. I'm thinking it's my weight... I was around 260LB before buying the GT so I am trying to work off the weight so I can get back on this one. The SORA drive-set is very smooth. 

Got this 2011 TREK Fuel EX5 from a guy on craigslist. He told me it was $1700 at the shop, I bought it from him for $550. I had to replace the brakes, I really wanted to keep the coloring scheme so I ended up going with Shimano Alivio/Altus level brakes, they are not that great... but they work for now. I just put that seat on it because it looked fun. This is a really comfortable bike... The brakes were a nightmare though, I took this bike on a 50 mile ride... about 22 miles in, the brakes kept rubbing the rotor causing it to make this awful noise and also create resistance for rest of the ride. The only way to make it stop for about 60 seconds was to pump the brakes hard... It was pretty agonizing on the way home, I ate a whole pizza that night and bought those replacement brakes lol

I'm no biking enthusiast... I honestly don't bike enough to claim that. But I do enjoy it and I know it's really good for my health... so i'm trying to build up to being one. Does anyone else here do longer distance runs? I'm curious what people pack with them, the tools you expect to use... food you can eat half way through the ride to give your body some carbs.
2020/05/24 14:42:17
notfordman
I like a lot of the features on the TREK. The hand grips look comfy. I have not been into bikes myself, still looks enjoyable. 
In my opinion if your going 50 miles on a bike, I would say you are a enthusiast. Good exercise. 
Do the fatter tires give a smoother ride? 
2020/05/24 15:42:43
RainStryke
notfordman
I like a lot of the features on the TREK. The hand grips look comfy. I have not been into bikes myself, still looks enjoyable. 
In my opinion if your going 50 miles on a bike, I would say you are a enthusiast. Good exercise. 
Do the fatter tires give a smoother ride? 

That was about 2 years ago. Working back up to it... only 2 rides so far this year and the longest one was around 12 miles so far. The 50 mile rides are a bit much and take around 4 hours to complete. I was also about 20LB lighter... im at 240LB now.

Yeah, the fatter tires definitely help with the smoothness of the ride.
2020/05/24 16:03:48
CraptacularOne
I've had a few over the years my current 2 bikes I have are my 2019 Cannondale Bad Habit and a 2008 Specialized Stumpjumper. I kept the old Stumpjumper to have a backup bike or for a loaner for friends who want to try out the sport.

2019 Cannondale Bad Habit

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper

LOL don't laugh too much but this was my first race. That was snapped by a randomly placed photographer that I wasn't expecting, hence the confused look on my face  I think this was in 2007

The bike I was riding was my 2007 Felt Virtue

This is a pic of me on the trails in NC on a Felt Redemption with the "equilink" suspension in 2007

And the following year I got Felt Redemption Team issue bike. It's a 2008 model. 

For me though this is the bike that I really started to take mountain biking seriously. I still have this frame and fork but was in the middle or overhauling it when for one reason or another I just never got around to finishing it so it's still to this day in my shed wating for it's moment in the sun to come again. I dunno, maybe I'll finally finish the restore and take her for a nostalgic ride one of these days. 

2003 Trek Liquid

EDIT: Was asked to remove any details about the bike store by my friend who used to own it for personal reasons
2020/05/24 16:52:32
RainStryke
Nice bikes all around, even the oldest. Those look like some nice trails in those pics. I remember seeing a video you posted a while back where you and a buddy was running through a dirt trail with some nice jumps. haha I stay away from jumps, I've had too many instances in my life where I had the wind blown out of me from taking a object off of a jump with me.
2020/05/24 17:16:56
CraptacularOne
RainStryke
Nice bikes all around, even the oldest. Those look like some nice trails in those pics. I remember seeing a video you posted a while back where you and a buddy was running through a dirt trail with some nice jumps. haha I stay away from jumps, I've had too many instances in my life where I had the wind blown out of me from taking a object off of a jump with me.

LOL well getting bumps, cuts and bruises in mountain biking is really a "mind over matter" thing.........If you don't mind, it doesn't matter 

For real though you don't have to jump and get all aggressive on the trails, you can and should ride within your ability. It's only if you wanna start pushing those abilities that you get in trouble. I love jumping and riding aggressively, to me it's just fun. I've had my fair share of crashes and bumps and bruises. Hell I'm nursing a pretty gnarly scrape and bruise now LOL

Did this a week after I got my new Cannondale

That's my right arm right now. Just snapped a pic sitting in my bedroom. It's par for the course man. If you like to jump you're gonna end up with a few bumps and bruises. Never been afraid of falling down or taking a hit, I dunno I'm just not wired that way I guess lol. 

As for the video, you must mean this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGXy-dBo4cw

That was for a video project my Uncle was doing for his videography class he was taking at the time. That's me and my brother in law, and in that I'm riding the Felt Redemption Team I posted above. My uncle hated hiking through the trails with his camera equipment and it was hotter than hell that day too LOL. It was a good time though. 
2020/05/24 20:14:45
GTXJackBauer
Now with newer tech, should be able to take nice videos on 4K @ 60hz.  Should leave us with nice details of that trail.
2020/05/24 22:26:50
the_Scarlet_one
I have a 2012 Specialized Roubaix Elite that I bought brand new in 2013, and haven’t taken the time to ride it over the last few years. I need to make it a point to ride it when I get home.
2020/05/24 22:26:55
Nereus

2020/05/27 20:06:57
RainStryke
CraptacularOne
RainStryke

LOL well getting bumps, cuts and bruises in mountain biking is really a "mind over matter" thing.........If you don't mind, it doesn't matter 

For real though you don't have to jump and get all aggressive on the trails, you can and should ride within your ability. It's only if you wanna start pushing those abilities that you get in trouble. I love jumping and riding aggressively, to me it's just fun. I've had my fair share of crashes and bumps and bruises. Hell I'm nursing a pretty gnarly scrape and bruise now LOL

Did this a week after I got my new Cannondale

That's my right arm right now. Just snapped a pic sitting in my bedroom. It's par for the course man. If you like to jump you're gonna end up with a few bumps and bruises. Never been afraid of falling down or taking a hit, I dunno I'm just not wired that way I guess lol. 

As for the video, you must mean this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGXy-dBo4cw

That was for a video project my Uncle was doing for his videography class he was taking at the time. That's me and my brother in law, and in that I'm riding the Felt Redemption Team I posted above. My uncle hated hiking through the trails with his camera equipment and it was hotter than hell that day too LOL. It was a good time though. 

Ouch... looks like that's gonna last a bit. Probably 2-3 weeks.

I still expect the occasional wreck even when trying to keep it jump free. About 5 years ago I was flying down a twisty hill, going 20+ MPH... I was leaning into a huge turn... about 50% of the way in, I ran into a 15 foot patch of algae. Momentum and all.. it had been quite a while since I had felt that kind of pain.

Yep, that's the video!

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account