• Folding@EVGA
  • Started folding again for the first time in years
2020/03/28 13:31:01
flyinion
Don't think I've run folding for something like 8 years now, but started it back up last night.  Figured I should do my part to help with the Covid research especially since my wife is a RN at a hospital so if I can help find a cure before she catches it and/or brings it home to me, that would be awesome.  I'm just running the GPU units and based on temps I'm seeing that's probably a good call.  I think I definitely need a second rad lol.  At full power my 2080 Super FTW3 Hydro Copper is seeing around 54C and I've had spikes to mid-70's on my CPU as it's apparently still being used for something with the GPU WU's.  I do have the client set to full power usage though so maybe I should dial it back to medium until I expand my loop.  I think my single 30mm 360 is not cutting it for this kind of extended torture.
2020/03/28 15:31:17
Cool GTX
Thank you & Welcome Back to the Team

Lower any OC on the GPU 50% ... some of those Core 22 will pull extra Watts

Might also depend on both room temp & circulation in your room

I'd keep the Client at Full power

Looks like your CPU is in that same loop --> Kill any OC on the CPU ... not needed for GPU folding  .. let it idle back - Optimized

2020/03/28 15:41:28
flyinion
Thanks, not sure what you mean by that last part?  I'm actually not running any OC's right now, though I've been meaning to playing OC's on the FTW3.  I need a better block or more rad capacity before really trying anything with the CPU and even then I'm probably just going to use PBO but that still adds a good bit of temp.

Cool GTX
Thank you & Welcome Back to the Team

Lower any OC on the GPU 50% ... some of those Core 22 will pull extra Watts

Might also depend on both room temp & circulation in your room

I'd keep the Client at Full power

Looks like your CPU is in that same loop --> Kill any OC on the CPU ... not needed for GPU folding  .. let it idle back - Optimized

2020/03/28 16:15:11
Cool GTX
If you lock the CPU to Max performance ... it will stay at Max OC all the time ... which could cause more heat in your loop
2020/03/28 20:11:26
flyinion
Cool GTX
If you lock the CPU to Max performance ... it will stay at Max OC all the time ... which could cause more heat in your loop

Ah, hmm well I am running the AMD Ryzen power plan which sets the min proc state at 99% but that's just in relation to the base clock.  So since I'm not OC'ing it only uses the default boost behavior right now.
2020/03/29 11:47:07
notfordman
Ahh, there you are! Welcome back, glad to have you.  

You can fold on the CPU if you want, but it's really not worth the electric to run it. If you do decide to fold on CPU, make sure to leave a core free for each GPU you are folding on. Thanks for helping. Not sure if you have been following the F@H project, but after asking for people to help, people answered the call and overwhelmed their servers. What I am getting at is WU's were scarce, now it is getting better. Good to see you return! 
2020/03/29 15:59:17
flyinion
notfordman
Ahh, there you are! Welcome back, glad to have you.  

You can fold on the CPU if you want, but it's really not worth the electric to run it. If you do decide to fold on CPU, make sure to leave a core free for each GPU you are folding on. Thanks for helping. Not sure if you have been following the F@H project, but after asking for people to help, people answered the call and overwhelmed their servers. What I am getting at is WU's were scarce, now it is getting better. Good to see you return! 

Yeah the impression I got on the CPU ones is that they took so long to do and gave so little points it wasn't really worth it.  Since I seem to already be pushing it with cooling on my CPU once my loop is saturated I'm going to hold off on CPU units if I do them at all until I can expand my loop and/or look into those newer Zen 2 optimized blocks that are showing up.
2020/03/31 07:59:47
tank1023
Welcome back!
2020/03/31 08:34:08
ipkha
You could always limit the cores on the CPU to something reasonable. I leave it set to 6 cores on my 10 core processor. It folds pretty quickly and apart from 1 massive cpu project that got out.
2020/04/03 22:41:32
flyinion
ipkha
You could always limit the cores on the CPU to something reasonable. I leave it set to 6 cores on my 10 core processor. It folds pretty quickly and apart from 1 massive cpu project that got out.

Looks like I might be trying that.  I just saw an update on the Extreme OC site that says there's some new batch of COVID WU's for a specific thing but they only run on CPU's right now.  

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account