• EVGA NU Audio Series
  • NuAudio Pro 7.1 DESPERATELY needs crossover to push low-frequency content to the C/Sub
2020/03/15 20:51:25
Phileosophos
I'm not the first person to complain about this, but this is my first time complaining about it in the forums. Any true 5.1/7.1 setup needs low frequency content pushed to the C/Sub channel for your amp/speakers to send the appropriate material to the subwoofer. Otherwise, you're just not going to get the bass response you're after. It's a surprising omission to me, in such an otherwise stellar prosumer-level audio card, that the NuAudio drivers do not yet provide such an option. Can we get a response from EVGA personnel as to when we can expect support for a proper crossover frequency and exposure in the software UI? Thanks in advance!
2020/03/16 19:46:47
M4A
Phileosophos...5.1/7.1 setup needs low frequency content pushed to the...Sub channel

See next, #10 post in 14 years.

2020/03/16 19:50:11
Phileosophos
I'm sorry, is that supposed to mean something?
2020/03/16 19:51:57
M4A
as I was saying, for a temporary fix, Jukebox 2112 will do that.  See the attached image. 

P.S. I can't post links or upload until I have 10 posts.

Attached Image(s)

2020/03/16 19:54:50
Phileosophos
I'm sorry again, but that looks nothing like any of the software I have with my EVGA NuAudio Pro 7.1 card. I'm not looking for a fix to a specific program, I'm looking for the drivers to provide the proper crossover options so that it will work with all applications, games, etc.
2020/03/16 20:07:30
M4A
PhileosophosI'm looking for the drivers to provide the proper crossover options so that it will work with all applications, games, etc.

Right.  A decent AVR will do that for you.  Used to be called "bass management".  I know some sound hardware comes with PC software to do that, but if you have an AVR that does, that's the better place to do it.

P.S.  have you given this a shot?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/audio/bass-management

I have not seen if that does what it implies, but give it a shot.  Set your fronts to small and see if Windows itself redirects low-Hz oomph to the subwoofer.  But you need the setting.  If you don't see it there's nothing you can do but keep complaining.  First up, though, is DDL or DTS-Connect.  I don't see that coming (licensing costs).  Bass management may already be there.  If you see this checkbox in the image it is.

Attached Image(s)

2020/03/17 04:13:55
ty_ger07
Proper speakers should have high pass or low pass filters built in which are appropriate for that speaker's design.
2020/03/18 11:16:41
Phileosophos
M4A
Right.  A decent AVR will do that for you.  Used to be called "bass management".  I know some sound hardware comes with PC software to do that, but if you have an AVR that does, that's the better place to do it.
P.S.  have you given this a shot?

I don't appear to have any such options. If you can recommend a third party tool that provides such things, I'll surely try it.
2020/03/18 11:18:05
Phileosophos
ty_ger07
Proper speakers should have high pass or low pass filters built in which are appropriate for that speaker's design.

You're missing the point: by the time it gets to the speakers it's too late. The whole point of having a subwoofer is to take the heavy-lifting off all the other speakers. In order to do that, the low-frequency content must be sent to the subwoofer in the first place. That has to be done via a crossover at the driver level, because otherwise the low-frequency content goes to the individual channels, isn't on the CSub channel at all, and thus your subwoofer is essentially a useless lump, doing nothing.
2020/03/18 12:19:16
ty_ger07
Phileosophos
ty_ger07

You're missing the point: by the time it gets to the speakers it's too late. The whole point of having a subwoofer is to take the heavy-lifting off all the other speakers. In order to do that, the low-frequency content must be sent to the subwoofer in the first place. That has to be done via a crossover at the driver level, because otherwise the low-frequency content goes to the individual channels, isn't on the CSub channel at all, and thus your subwoofer is essentially a useless lump, doing nothing.

How do you figure that it isn't already "being sent to the subwoofer"? Consider the design of center channel audio.

I think that you are missing the point. The design of the 2.1, 5.1, and 7.1 recording and playblack standards should ensure that what is output from the card is correct. If the audio which is reaching your speakers is not appropriate for your speaker's frequency, the speakers should have filters internal to cause them to operate properly. If for some reason the speakers have a design issue and are missing appropriate filtering necessary to make them work properly, I think that you should add filtering; you don't need software to do it. You don't need software for crossover either; you could add that too, if you insist.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account