• Folding@EVGA
  • Here is a really different question, looking for good input. (p.2)
2020/03/15 12:11:12
SmookinJoe
Cool GTX
When in a rush, I just place / replace one of the GPU in a working PC

I get your need to decide if your keeping a new part

Multi GPU Rigs & new builds are a different story ... as you see planning is the first step

PSU - what to buy ? 

1) Make sure the PSU has enough power connections for the Build you have in mind

2) I go by the rule of thumb that 100% of the calculated load does not exceed 80% of the PSU output for Rigs that will run 24/7

My EVGA 1200W & EVGA 1600W have work very well on my Folding Rigs 24/7 .... plenty of power with enough cables to get the job done

GL on your adventure

Thanks
I tried the ROG Strix 2060 in the Z270 and I got the same error and I tried the working EVGA 2060 in the earlier B450-F I sent back. It scared me and I was relieved when the EVGA 2060 worked again in the Z270.
Part of the problems I may have been experiencing is not using both 6 pin and 8 pin on the Strix 2060. I have discovered you are supposed to use both.
From my perspective...
PSU's have limited outlets on their case and they are marked clearly for usage. The connectors are dummy proofed to help the challenged configure it correctly.
Since the outlets are limited... do I need to use wiring harnesses with multiple connections to supply power to multiple headers...for gpu and motherboard?
ie...my EVGA 550 came with a rail or harness with two eight pin outlets leaving a second outlet on the psu...never saw that before..
Obviously I will be shopping for a larger psu down the road but...
Do I need to get or use a couple of harness's like that to supply the two connectors on the 1 ROG gpu and possibly 1 EVGA 2060? ...

2020/03/15 13:16:52
ipkha
Nvidia cards will detect if both power leads are detected. So you have to use converters if you don't have enough proper connectors. Try to make sure if possible to use different cables per converter to be safe. Certainly this is not a preferred long term solution as molex really isn't designed with that use case in mind.

To troubleshoot an defective GPU requires running it solo with no overclocking of either GPU or CPU. I have never had any problem with EVGA or MSI tech support with regards to RMAing a card. You just have to do the grunt work of isolating the GPU.
2020/03/15 15:11:15
SmookinJoe
ipkha
Nvidia cards will detect if both power leads are detected. So you have to use converters if you don't have enough proper connectors. Try to make sure if possible to use different cables per converter to be safe. Certainly this is not a preferred long term solution as molex really isn't designed with that use case in mind.

Converters...?
ahh Molex ..Adapters...I think I get you.
Your talking about using the other power outs on the PSU and converting the ends.
Since this is bypassing the dummy proofing ....LOL

Where should I rummage around to figure out the best converters for use?
and which power outs to use?

Last thing I want is create a 10Tid error...lol

My current collection of GPU's are 3 EVGA 2060's with each having one 8 pin and 1 ROG Strix 2060 having 2 power inputs...1X6 and 1X8
I just found out I have to connect both, on the ROG(I thought it was either or...oops), so I wish to retest the one Amazon has sent a replacement for. That way I can send back it unopened, for resale.
ipkha
To troubleshoot an defective GPU requires running it solo with no overclocking of either GPU or CPU. I have never had any problem with EVGA or MSI tech support with regards to RMAing a card. You just have to do the grunt work of isolating the GPU.

Good to know!
Since I have been away from computers allot has changed.

2020/03/15 15:17:58
SmookinJoe
Build delay I am waiting for a new WS Z390 Pro
The box was previously opened and some of the nameplates have gouges in them.
New WS Z390 Pro arriving Mar 18th...
Intel Chip is in a sealed box.
Looking for convertor options concerning PSU outputs.

Joe
2020/03/15 15:57:54
bill1024
The PSU you have now should have 4 GPU wires, that will be enough for 2 GPUs you said you are going to use.
You do not have to connect the GPU extra power plug on the board for what you are doing.
Are you over thinking this?
If when you add more GPUs you will need a bigger PSU, get one with enough leads at that time, no?

2020/03/15 16:04:28
ipkha
If I read the first post correctly, each vga header from the psu has a single end 6/8pin not a dual 6 and 8 pin. So he only has 2 gpu cords for 3 gpu inlets or 4 if you count the motherboard.
2020/03/15 18:15:35
SmookinJoe
bill1024
The PSU you have now should have 4 GPU wires, that will be enough for 2 GPUs you said you are going to use.
You do not have to connect the GPU extra power plug on the board for what you are doing.
Are you over thinking this?
If when you add more GPUs you will need a bigger PSU, get one with enough leads at that time, no?

bill1024 you are both wrong and right at the same time...lol
Which is good.
2 vga outlets BUT the wire rails will service both gpu cards.
1 has a combo end with 6/8 pins and 8 pins and the other has one 8 pin.
One eight pin for cpu etc..
So you are close enough in my book
Thanks
ipkha
If I read the first post correctly, each vga header from the psu has a single end 6/8pin not a dual 6 and 8 pin. So he only has 2 gpu cords for 3 gpu inlets or 4 if you count the motherboard.

I answered above ipkha, I was mistaken about the need for adapters
I was panicking unnecessarily...
My bad.

Thanks to both of you, for talkin me off the ledge...lol
Joe

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account