• Folding@EVGA
  • Here is a really different question, looking for good input.
2020/03/14 21:41:32
SmookinJoe
Hi
The Asus WS Z390 Pro mobo I am building has one extra Eatx 12 volt 8 pin header and one extra EATX 12 volt 6 pin header.
Asus tech told me I only need to connect to EATX_1 and the other two headers are for bigger power supplies.
He also gave me the impression that I could use them to use power to the gpu's if needed..???
I was supposed to get a email pushing me to level two tech but I never got the email...
I have a new EVGA Supernova 650 G5 and it doesn't have enough rails to supply 4 gpu's...and two extra motherboard headers (1 8 pin cpu out 2 VGA out ), I think...lol.
Each EVGA 2060 gpu has one 8 pin connector and the ROG Strix 2060 oc has 2 connectors one 6 pin and one 8 pin...you are supposed to use both.

I have extra psu rails, from other installs, and I am curious if I am supposed to use the extra motherboard psu headers for to supply power to the gpu's, because the psu doesn't have enough outs.

So recapping
My power supplies have two 8 pin out puts for PCI use. Rails have eight or six pin outlets for the gpu...I think I have one eight pin with dual outlets of eight pins each, which came with the EVGA 650.
My problem is I only have two eight pin outlets from the psu to supply possibly 5 (4X8 pin and 1X6 Pin) gpu connections.
At the moment I have 2 gpu's that I could install (1 evga 2060 and 1 ROG 2060)
If I wanted to combine all of my current gpu's in one machine I would have..
3xEVGA 2060(one 8 pin each) and 1 ROG Strix 2060( one 6 pin and one 8 pin)

HELP!!!!....lol

2020/03/15 00:28:01
bill1024
You want to power a system with 4 GPUs with 1 650watt PSU?
Not so sure that will work so well. I did a power calculation with EVGA's  power meter 1000w 
Seems to me I would want to go bigger than that with 4 GPUs and CPU and MB
Normally the 2nd ATX 12v is for high overclocks where the CPU needs and can get more 12v power.
They are not there to feed a GPU. What kind of cable would you use? I don't think so.

And you want to power a GPU from the mohterboard using the 2nd 12v CPU power plug?
Never heard of such a thing.
2020/03/15 00:42:13
whiskywarrior
Why not get a PSU to dedicate to those GPUs? And use the 650W to power what it can. Just make sure to power on GPU PSU first and turn it off last, so the system POSTs properly. 
2020/03/15 10:16:27
SmookinJoe
Welcome everyone
Thanks for responding
A little back history for those that wonder how I got to this point

https://forums.evga.com/T...ork-here-m3028359.aspx
2020/03/15 10:34:40
SmookinJoe
'
bill1024
You want to power a system with 4 GPUs with 1 650watt PSU?

Nooo, Nooo
I want to install a couple of cards that I currently have
EVGA 2060 XC and ROG 2060 OC(which might be going back if it doesn't play nice)
The 650 should be more than enough.

After that I will upgrade the PSU but when I was looking at the specs on the EVGA 1000 series I didn't see any extra power outlets on it....
Eventually I will be trying to max out the boards capabilities with more gpu's

bill1024
Not so sure that will work so well. I did a power calculation with EVGA's  power meter 1000w 
Seems to me I would want to go bigger than that with 4 GPUs and CPU and MB
Normally the 2nd ATX 12v is for high overclocks where the CPU needs and can get more 12v power.
They are not there to feed a GPU. What kind of cable would you use? I don't think so.

And you want to power a GPU from the mohterboard using the 2nd 12v CPU power plug?
Never heard of such a thing.

So now you understand where I am at, I too did a calculation using EVGA Power Metter but I didn't see any more power outlets on the 1000w models. (Just saw the second cpu out..on 1000w)

I hadn't heard of such a thing as two extra Eatx 12 volt power inputs on the motherboard or two power inputs on one GPU card
(the Rog Strix has a 6 pin and 8 pin to be both used)

I am on a voyage of discovery...lol
Just need some help making it work with what I have and growing from there guys and gals..

2020/03/15 10:40:57
SmookinJoe
whiskywarrior89
Why not get a PSU to dedicate to those GPUs? And use the 650W to power what it can. Just make sure to power on GPU PSU first and turn it off last, so the system POSTs properly. 

Seems beyond my cases dimensions and my capabilities..lol
Building it in a Coolermaster Haf EVO workbench case...don't want to hack it though..
Good suggestion , food for thought whiskywarrior89
2020/03/15 11:11:51
Cool GTX
Asus usually makes a fairly good manual - should answer what those power points are for - my last WS was a Z97 & its still running as a Folding rig

The additional Power to the MB for PCIe = extra power for better stability when using 2 or more GPU on that MB

Most (all current ?) EVGA PSU are Single Rail

In the past - you the user - had to divide your load across many independent power rails - inside of the PSU --> by how you connected your hardware to those outside power ports on the PSU. 

Current standard is a Single rail - so users do not have to manually balance the load

some nice basic explanations are found:  lifewire
2020/03/15 11:40:04
ipkha
For 2 gpus you shouldn't need to plug an extra 6 pin cable into the board. You just need the ones attached to the Gpus. The extra 8pin for cou power isn't needed if you aren't on liquid nitrogen cooling. Only extreme overclocking will use the extra juice.
2020/03/15 11:45:22
SmookinJoe
Cool GTX
Asus usually makes a fairly good manual - should answer what those power points are for - my last WS was a Z97 & its still purring

The additional Power to the MB for PCIe = extra power for better stability when using 2 or more GPU on that MB

Most (all current ?) EVGA PSU are Single Rail

In the past - you the user - had to divide your load across many independent power rails - inside of the PSU.  Current standard is a Single rail so users do not have to manually balance the load

Hi Cool GTX
Obviously I am in over my head at the moment..lol
I read the manual and looked online...just matter of fact info on the EATX 12 volt headers. This one is here and that one is there etc...I called Asus customer support and was supposed to get a level 2 upgrade email...never got it.
Just finished rummaging around in the EVGA PSU product line and started top down with a look at the 1600w and it has enough power outs.
The 1000w had the same as the 650w
(Sorry can't remember why I thought that)
I have a OCZ 700w, I was using, and it has the same number of outputs, as the Evga 650W.
I am under a time crunch at the moment and want to test the ROG 2060 OC in a new working computer so I have a need to make this work with what I have currently.
(I have a time limit on returning the ROG cards, I have one I was trying to use and they sent me a replacement. I must return one in the 30 day window or possibly both depending on results, that window is closing. I also have Muscle control issues and things can take me too long to accomplish.)
I have a EVGA 550w PSU running a prime Z270  with 2 EVGA 2060's purring along and I don't want to pull it apart and jinx it...lol
It has lots of fans running(7 case and cpu + 4 gpu fans in 2 gpu's) and absolutely no power issues
Want to use the WS Z390 Pro to test out the ROG card.
I will be installing the cpu today, with a Coolermaster 212 EVO, this may take awhile for me. I will also be looking at trying to figure out something that works with the psu rails.
Don't want to use two separate psu because I am concerned the power might not be cycled or balanced properly.
I will check back before I power it up.
Thx
2020/03/15 12:03:36
Cool GTX
When in a rush, I just place / replace one of the GPU in a working PC

I get your need to decide if your keeping a new part

The PSU is the Single most important part of your build, yet usually the last thing people put in their budget process

Without stable power the rest of your PC will never be stable

Multi GPU Rigs & new builds are a different story ... as you see planning is the first step

PSU - what to buy ? 

1) Make sure the PSU has enough power connections for the Build you have in mind

2) I go by the rule of thumb that 100% of the calculated load does not exceed 80% of the PSU output for Rigs that will run 24/7

My EVGA 1200W & EVGA 1600W have work very well on my Folding Rigs 24/7 .... plenty of power with enough cables to get the job done

GL on your adventure

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account