2020/02/21 18:18:22
dmacklewis
Is there a way to change the boot override in the bios? When I do a boot/save there are 2 disks listed for boot override but I can't find a way to change the order or delete one. What's the secret?
2020/02/21 18:38:33
bob16314
Probably changing the Boot Option #1, #2, #3, etc. changes the Boot Override device order too..And if you disable a boot device it'll remove it from the Boot Override options, and enabling will add it..Does for me in my Asus (AMI) BIOS, at least.

But if you change the Boot Option priority to a Boot Device that isn't bootable or with no bootable media in it like a CD-ROM, it'll waste a little boot time figuring out there's nothing there to boot from before moving on to the next device, or cough up a boot error.
2020/02/22 17:39:00
dmacklewis
Oh my, I’m back again with boot problems. A few weeks ago I posted about problems trying to boot from a USB stick but now it’s a problem booting from the proper disk.  I built this system to dual boot with Windows installed first on a SSD and then Linux (Opensuse) installed on a second SSD. Everything seemed to go well, F7 showed Opensuse first on the boot list, it would boot into Grub2/Opensuse and I run either Opensuse or Windows. But I kept having ACPI Bios startup and shutdown errors and usually had to do a manual start twice to get the system to come up. The last time I did that, Windows came up instead of Opensuse and the settings in the Bios had changed. Booting with F7 select, shows the boot devices found and I can boot from any of them. The attachment, Boot options, shows Windows as Option #1 where before it was Opensuse as #1 and Opensuse has gone missing. The attachment,  Boot override, shows Windows first and Opensuse second where before only Opensuse was listed. The flash disk is what I used to capture the screenshots. If I stay in the Windows world, everything starts/stops/executes with no trouble. There seems to be something about the Linux world the Z390 doesn’t like. I'm at a loss as to what is happening. The User Manual is of no help, it doesn't address how to navigate/edit the UEFI/BIOS, so I'm shooting in the dark. Frustrating.

Attached Image(s)

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account