2020/02/21 08:58:29
cneuhauser
G-Force Now has me somewhat confused... what is this service?

I think the explanation on their splash page could be a little more clear. At first I thought it was a streaming service for games, but my impressions now are that it allows you to stream games in your own libraries on other stores (Steam, Epic, Origin etc.)... Steam already allows something like this to an extent with their mobile app. which boots the game on your home PC then allows you to stream it on your Wi-Fi enabled devices as long as you're on the same network as the host PC.

The mechanics of G-Force Now sound like the software license in your personal gaming libraries is somehow transferred to Nvidia, and their cloud servers run the game, and allow you to play anywhere? Is this correct?

**If the above is true, then I'm also a little baffled by their business plan. Why would a company that engineers graphics cards want cloud gaming to work? Wouldn't this cut their market share right out from under them? I mean, if I can spend $5.00 per month and cloud game, with little to no lag, why the world would I go out and buy a GPU for $800.00?

**It would be different if the service was a cloud gaming scenario where I could try a whole bunch of games I don't own. Similar to other subscription based gaming platforms, only in the cloud, I have a feeling I'm not understanding their service though.
2020/02/21 09:16:33
Cool GTX
It is Cloud gaming ... just think of the reacquiring revenue every month for Nvidia ... not everyone has / can afford the latest & greatest

NVIDIA's New Cloud Service Could Spell Doom for Google's Stadia
(excerpt)
NVIDIA claims that over 300,000 beta testers streamed more than 70 million hours of gameplay in 30 countries in North America and Europe over the past three years. It also noted that 80% of players "instantly upgraded from systems without GeForce GPUs to the latest PC graphics" via its cloud service.

GeForce Now Game Streaming Is Live: Free Vs. Paid, How It Works, And More

(excerpt)
How GeForce Now WorksUsing either a free or premium account, GeForce Now lets you stream PC games to your Mac, PC, Nvidia Shield TV, or Android-based device. Since GeForce Now is not a storefront and does not sell games itself, the service plays games based on your library in existing platforms like Steam and Epic Games. Although Nvidia hasn't put out an exact number, GeForce Now supports hundreds of games, and you can use this search tool to see if a game is compatible to run on the service. If it is, GeForce Now asks you to sign in to the platform for which you own the game to validate ownership, then the game will run in the cloud--there are also over 30 free-to-play games available on the service like Destiny 2, Warframe, Fortnite, and more.
2020/02/21 10:53:18
aka_STEVE_b
I think I finally figured out why it is actually a good idea for Nvidia to do this...

(1) They provide a middle-ground of sorts to get people hooked on gaming easily ,
 (2) but the experience is more than somewhat not up to par with the latest & greatest gaming

( 3 ) - so people then think they will buy hardware to build their own system to make a more enjoyable experience for themselves... 

WIN _ WIN  for Nvidia ! 

but if that's not it - I also don't understand why a hardware sales company would try to convince people to stop buying hardware ..?? 

2020/02/21 11:47:54
cneuhauser
aka_STEVE_b
I think I finally figured out why it is actually a good idea for Nvidia to do this...

(1) They provide a middle-ground of sorts to get people hooked on gaming easily ,
 (2) but the experience is more than somewhat not up to par with the latest & greatest gaming

( 3 ) - so people then think they will buy hardware to build their own system to make a more enjoyable experience for themselves... 

WIN _ WIN  for Nvidia ! 

but if that's not it - I also don't understand why a hardware sales company would try to convince people to stop buying hardware ..?? 

You might be right... never thought of it that way...
2020/03/05 12:23:12
Brad_Hawthorne
Makes me wonder if it's just the same old cloud gaming tech that gets released over the last few years where it's launched and you hear about it for a few months and it folds and some other company buys the patents on the tech, rinse and repeat. Cloud gaming has been attempted for years now. Nvidia is throwing good money after bad on this one.
2020/03/05 23:49:03
chrisdglong
Their version is probably the best though. You pay a few bucks a month to play a game on their hardware, games that YOU already own elsewhere... In other words, bring your own games to the party. Google is trying to sell you NEW games to play on THEIR hardware that you can't play anywhere else, AND pay them a monthly fee... Yup, cloud gaming was always a trash idea, ever since Onlive attempted it and failed miserably. I doubt it will ever take off.
2020/03/06 04:36:48
Hoggle
I think that the best thing NVIDIA has over Google is the game library is up to the user with NVIDIA. Since the games are owned it's unlikely to see the list of supported games change month to month while with Google people could be playing Witcher 3 put in like 80 hours and then find the game is no longer available the next month.
2020/03/09 05:33:02
ty_ger07
Hoggle
I think that the best thing NVIDIA has over Google is the game library is up to the user with NVIDIA. Since the games are owned it's unlikely to see the list of supported games change month to month ...

Sorry, not true.

Just as we don't own digital copies of the games (they are licensed to us), NVIDIA doesn't have control over the licensing of games provided on its service. Day after day, big groups of games have been removed from GeForce Now due to licensing. During the GeForce Now BETA, NVIDIA had licensing agreements to showcase the capabilities, but now game distributors are removing access to whole groups of games (or whole online stores) from GeForce Now.
2020/03/09 07:39:42
aka_STEVE_b
Seems like a lot of the Devs are now removing their games from the service...

Looks like none of them will be around long at this pace...

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account