2020/02/20 22:51:30
yaggaz

Every video card I've ever purchased since 2005 has been evga, and 3 years has been the max I've ever reached before upgrading. I'd never bought an extended before but now with how much the RTX series costs I'm wondering whether it must just be worth it?

What about others? Do you automatically buy an extended or just for the top of the line models? Thanks.
2020/02/21 00:21:39
wmmills
yaggaz

Every video card I've ever purchased since 2005 has been evga, and 3 years has been the max I've ever reached before upgrading. I'd never bought an extended before but now with how much the RTX series costs I'm wondering whether it must just be worth it?

What about others? Do you automatically buy an extended or just for the top of the line models? Thanks.

YES! Look in my sig. I also have 2 8800 GTS 320's evga, 2 gtx260 216's one evga one xfx black, evga 560ti and i had 2 780 FE's but sold one way early on. I have a few assorted much lower end cards too from ati and nvidia. All my cards, higher end cards, still work just as good as ever but i did buy the EAR, when they first started it, for the 8800GTS but nothing else with the rest of the cards. Im def not typical, im a hardware fanatic and like to tinker, mod and wreck some things, but not the expensive stuff for the most part. Id suggest those extended plans if you plan on keeping your hardware and youre not very tech experienced, bad at troubleshooting and dont have tools etc... Most issues can be fixed or addressed yourself in 95% of cases but there is always the occasional stinker. 
2020/02/21 03:40:20
Hoggle
yaggaz

People are still gaming with GTX 970 cards that came out well over 5 years ago and the 1080Ti is now often over 3 years old and still a great card that people can run anything on. I guess it depends on the details they want and what is happening with life as to when the right time to upgrade is. It's great to be able to upgrade within 3 years but sometimes people can't and a extended warranty is a great way to be covered.
2020/02/21 04:19:01
bob16314
Certain select cards have an 'expiration date', if you will, programmed into the VBIOS that makes them go bad within 1 month after the warranty is up.

No, just kidding, but sometimes it seems like it.

All depends how long you plan on keeping the card and if you want the extra insurance..But for sure if I was gonna buy a $1500 card, I would get an Extended Warranty for the low low price of $30 for 5 years or $60 for 10, extending the warranty by an additional 2 or 7 years respectively.
2020/02/21 06:21:28
Cool GTX
Yes, I tend to keep my cards - even if they just move down the family tree

Can you afford to replace it if it fails --> After the standard warranty ?

But it is a personal choice ... I think it represents a good value
2020/02/21 10:10:05
z999z3mystorys
I know my 1080 tis are getting near the end, only 1-3 months left on the 3 year warranty, and it'll likely expire before I replace them with a new one, as I'm waiting for GPUs not yet released. Still, it's the first time it happened ( my oldest cards, if I still had them around would have there lifetime warranty, which for EVGA means forever (not all lifetime warranties mean that)

However.. I wonder how old the oldest card that was RMA'd was, has anyone sent in a TNT 2 card recently?
2020/02/21 13:01:01
yaggaz
Thanks everyone for your feedback.   I didn't realise the extended was so dirt cheap, I was thinking it was a lot more for some reason, duh.

Yeah I was gaming on a 980 until I got the 2080 3 months ago.   Love the card, hate the heat, figure I'll abandon it as quick as I can when the 3080 gets here.

Also, when you sell your evga card, do you sell the warranty with it?  Can the new owner have the benefits of the warranty?

P.S. Bob thanks for the laugh about the death timer, I think I nearly choked to death as I've been fighting a chest infection this week lol
2020/02/22 11:19:36
Cool GTX
yaggaz
Thanks everyone for your feedback.   I didn't realise the extended was so dirt cheap, I was thinking it was a lot more for some reason, duh.

Yeah I was gaming on a 980 until I got the 2080 3 months ago.   Love the card, hate the heat, figure I'll abandon it as quick as I can when the 3080 gets here.

Also, when you sell your evga card, do you sell the warranty with it?  Can the new owner have the benefits of the warranty?

P.S. Bob thanks for the laugh about the death timer, I think I nearly choked to death as I've been fighting a chest infection this week lol

Extended warranty does not transfer  EVGA Extended Warranty

EVGA Warranty
Depending on the last two "alpha" of the serial number the second-hand warranty Can transfer --> but different "starting date"   EVGA CS can check the number of days of transferable warranty - based on serial number

Original and Secondhand Warranty FAQ
2021/06/25 10:18:23
hster
yaggaz
  Love the card, hate the heat, figure I'll abandon it as quick as I can when the 3080 gets here.

Just bought 10 year warranty for the 3080ti FTW Ultra. I don't know if you got your 3080 but it only gets hotter...

2021/07/22 11:05:53
Rosencrantz
hster
yaggaz
  Love the card, hate the heat, figure I'll abandon it as quick as I can when the 3080 gets here.

Just bought 10 year warranty for the 3080ti FTW Ultra. I don't know if you got your 3080 but it only gets hotter...

Same! Given my 970 had to last me 7 years with the market and it ran a solid 15-20C cooler, I don't want to have to worry about this 80C beast melting itself to an earlier grave in case some new stock catastrophe happens lol. $60 is well worth the peace of mind alone so I can ignore the 83C temps and just drool over the gorgeous graphics it produces! :) 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account