2020/02/20 03:37:59
constantinmaco
Hello,

I have a 1060 SSC DT, I was able to overclock it just fine, +100 on clock and +1000 on memory, been using it for a  year.
I run evga XOC with the kingpin skin so I can set an alarm on the temp limit since one time the fans stopped spinning  so I would like to avoid the gpu reaching unwanted temps if maybe I have headphones on.
I keep an aggressive fan curve and usually the card in idle (when I just use my browser) stays between 22-23°c but sometimes the clock and memory clock for no reason go to their max and the card can go as far as 34°C with an aggressive fan curve, which is weird.
I'm running the latest nvidia drivers (442.19) and this also happened with previous drivers, I've noticed this for the last couple of months but perhaps it has been going on for longer and I didn't notice.
K-boost is disabled, in the nvidia global 3d settings the "Power management" option is set to "Adaptive".
2020/02/20 04:17:21
coolmistry
Sometime it can happen background software still running which not close properly
Try open your EVGA XOC and click on the top right corner 'i' to check who running background in Active 3D process. Try force close some apps! 

I use MSI Afterburner so it look like this

Try find which software still running which not close properly! When you have close the apps and check if your card is down clock!

Attached Image(s)

2020/02/20 04:46:01
constantinmaco
coolmistry
Sometime it can happen background software still running which not close properly
Try open your EVGA XOC and click on the top right corner 'i' to check who running background in Active 3D process. Try force close some apps! 

I use MSI Afterburner so it look like this

Try find which software still running which not close properly! When you have close the apps and check if your card is down clock!

Hi,
I am running the latst xoc version (6.2.7), and when I click the "i" button on the top right corner I don't get the same information as you do.
You can see what I get in the file which I will link below.

Could you recommend me a good program which monitors resource usage on windows? the built in one does not include gpu processes, just usage in percentage which is not that helpful.

2020/02/20 04:52:01
coolmistry
Sorry I can't remember using XOC for long time! I use MSI Afterburner for long time!
So MSI Afterburner do have lots of monitor processes and many more! Haven't you try use MSI AB? if so give a go and how it go 

EDIT> make sure you shut down EVGA XOC and untick start up Windows for EVGA XOC then restart your Windows before install MSI AB! 
2020/02/20 05:45:48
constantinmaco
coolmistry
Sorry I can't remember using XOC for long time! I use MSI Afterburner for long time!
So MSI Afterburner do have lots of monitor processes and many more! Haven't you try use MSI AB? if so give a go and how it go 

EDIT> make sure you shut down EVGA XOC and untick start up Windows for EVGA XOC then restart your Windows before install MSI AB! 

Hi,

Thanks for your answer, I do have msi ab already installed and it didn't cross my mind to check it. It does show which applications use my gpu.
I'll check it when my gpu gets stuck on max clocks next time.
2020/02/20 06:24:02
coolmistry
constantinmaco
coolmistry

Hi,

Thanks for your answer, I do have msi ab already installed and it didn't cross my mind to check it. It does show which applications use my gpu.
I'll check it when my gpu gets stuck on max clocks next time.

No problem oh good you are using MSI AB 
What I am thinking maybe if you can check in your NVCP to see Global setting > Power Management Mode to set Optimal or Adaptive that where help down clock!

2020/02/20 10:19:50
Sajin
Here are the top causes of why a GPU would run at full clocks at idle...

#1 You're running multiple monitors. Fix: Enable mutil display power saver using nvidia inspector.
#2 Your machine has a virus. Fix: Scan computer using malwarebytes.
#3 One or more programs running in the background are using your GPU. Fix: Perform a clean boot of windows.
#4 Power management mode inside the nvidia control panel is set to prefer maximum performance. Fix: Set power management mode to adaptive then reboot your computer.
#5 Running a resolution of 2560x1440 @ 144Hz. Fix: Change refresh rate to 120Hz.
#6 K-Boost is enabled inside Precision X. Fix: Disable K-Boost.
#7 Shadowplay is enabled inside geforce experience. Fix: Disable shadowplay inside geforce experience OR completely uninstall geforce experience from your machine (highly recommended)
2020/02/20 12:43:32
constantinmaco
Sajin

#1 You're running multiple monitors. Fix: 
#2 Your machine has a virus. Fix: 
#3 One or more programs running in the background are using your GPU. Fix: 
#4 Power management mode inside the nvidia control panel is set to prefer maximum performance. Fix: Set power management mode to adaptive then reboot your computer.
#5 Running a resolution of 2560x1440 @ 144Hz. Fix: Change refresh rate to 120Hz.
#7 Shadowplay is enabled inside geforce experience. Fix: Disable shadowplay inside geforce experience OR completely uninstall geforce experience from your machine (highly recommended)

1. Only running 1 monitor
2. That's the first thing I did, scanned with emsisoft which I found to be far more reliable than malwarebytes
3. I checked and no programs that were running would justify the usage
4. It's set to adaptive
5. If I told you the resolution I'm running at you would start laughing
6. Nope
7. I've been avoiding geforce experience for about 8 months now, pure bloatware
2020/02/20 14:09:44
HeavyHemi
constantinmaco
Sajin

#1 You're running multiple monitors. Fix: 
#2 Your machine has a virus. Fix: 
#3 One or more programs running in the background are using your GPU. Fix: 

1. Only running 1 monitor
2. That's the first thing I did, scanned with emsisoft which I found to be far more reliable than malwarebytes
3. I checked and no programs that were running would justify the usage
4. It's set to adaptive
5. If I told you the resolution I'm running at you would start laughing
6. Nope
7. I've been avoiding geforce experience for about 8 months now, pure bloatware

Are you using both MSI Afterburner and EVGA XOC at the same time?
2020/02/21 00:25:24
constantinmaco
HeavyHemi

Are you using both MSI Afterburner and EVGA XOC at the same time?

Maybe sometimes when I want to monitor temps on a game but usually when my pc is idle I do not run them both, just XOC.

coolmistry

No problem oh good you are using MSI AB 
What I am thinking maybe if you can check in your NVCP to see Global setting > Power Management Mode to set Optimal or Adaptive that where help down clock!

Sajin

It just happened again and the only 3d processes that were running in the background were:
PrecisionX_64.exe;
PXSW10_64.exe;
PrecisionXServer.exe

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account