2020/04/27 00:32:37
zGunBLADEz
it also happens in frequency switching ie adaptive or avx divider been use on avx loads..
It will hit momentarily a yes in hwinfo but it will not stick as a "pegged" yes... i do not pay attention to it if is not pegged on the yes option while on a load.

I Have svid disable and i check for phantom throttling on continous cbs loops i use a very low input as well 1.73v i dont get phantom throttling whatsoever hrs after hrs of testing.

2020/06/21 22:02:26
tailevn
TiN_EE
On mesh CPUs like SKX/CLX there is power management unit inside CPU that handle clock changes. When it switches between one turbo ratio to another it will report EDP/Current clipping while all CPUs are switching ratios. When it's done, this flag goes away. If user set CPU ratio to manual , there is no automatic ratio changes so no EDP clipping is reported. However if user to change ratio in windows, for example using XTU ratio adjustment slider - you can see same thing - EDP/Current limiter will be clipped for few seconds, when all cores switching to new ratio. It's normal and known behavior. You can ask Intel on why this is happening too, perhaps if many users ponder same question, they could remove this item in future :)

Hi TiN,
My laptop Dell precision 5520 (Core i7-7820HQ 2.9Ghz) has the same phenomenon as you describe.
I have two profiles in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, I turn on function 'App-Profile Pairing' and i see one problem happened. When IETU switches between two profiles, a short moment 'Current/EDP limit throttling' somtimes happened, arround 1s (view attached photo). I don't know the reason why?
-I set 'Processor Core IccMax' to maximum, the problem still happens.
-I increase 'Turbo Boost Short Power Max' to 65W, the problem still happens.
My laptop runs low workload, temperature is low, stress test is OK.
Do you havea any solution for this one?

Thanks!

Attached Image(s)

2020/06/23 07:21:26
TiN_EE
Current/EDP limit is indicator of multiple things, not directly related to just power throttle. It's a way for CPU to say "hey, I'm doing something while changing ratios, wait a bit until I stabilize on new frequency". So having short pulses of it is expected scenario when CPU ratios are changed by software. This is internal mechanism of the CPU, so there is no solution for it. To be fair, it's not a problem to be "solved" either, if the limiter is not permanently stuck on active position.
2020/06/23 07:24:08
PINKTULIP
Yes it does on default setting regardless the Bios installed and goes away when you OC or change CPU setting in Bios Auto to Manual.
2020/06/24 00:37:32
tailevn
TiN_EE
Current/EDP limit is indicator of multiple things, not directly related to just power throttle. It's a way for CPU to say "hey, I'm doing something while changing ratios, wait a bit until I stabilize on new frequency". So having short pulses of it is expected scenario when CPU ratios are changed by software. This is internal mechanism of the CPU, so there is no solution for it. To be fair, it's not a problem to be "solved" either, if the limiter is not permanently stuck on active position.

Hi Tin,
I think you are right.
I have some information want to share with members here.
-When I decrease 'Processor Core IccMax'--> happen Current /EDP Limit Throttling.
--When I decrease 'Processor Graphics IccMax'--> happen Current /EDP Limit Throttling.
However, when i increase maximize these IccMax, it doesn't remove "pulse" Current/EDP Limit throttling as i mentioned above post.
One more problem with me, yesterday, i update new BIOS from Dell for my laptop Dell Precision 5520, my IETU was disabled almost all functions, I cannot change clock, IccMax, voltage, powers,... of CPU and Graphics. It makes me crazy...
I want to downgrade BIOS by USB and driver file (.exe) of DELL but not successful, have error "Firmware Update fail"
Do you have any experience on this matter, how to downgrade BIOS?
Thanks a lot!
2020/06/29 13:49:24
ZoranC
TiN_EE

If that (frequency change triggering current change that needs to be throttled until things are stabilized) is the culprit of what I’m seeing then this explanation of why it happens under ‘Auto’ even though I use Windows ‘high performance’ power plan that shouldn’t be resulting in any frequency changes makes sense to me.

XTU stress test uses AVX instructions in parts of code. So I am guessing there will be swings in frequency every time code goes from non-AVX part to AVX one and back even under ‘high performance’ power plan.

One could ask why I don’t see same behavior when running manual ratios and I believe this has been already explained (changing to manual ratios lifts power limits).

So, if this is the case, then Tin_EE and LeeM are correct that this is how things are supposed to work and thus nothing is “broken” that would need to be fixed.

That left me with a question do I still want to run on ‘auto’ or I will go with ‘manual’.

In general I prefer using ‘auto’ when I want to assure my lack of expertise with manual settings will not result in me having issues. However, as of now I feel good that manual settings way I approached them have ended up stable so I will stay on ‘manual’.

Thus I personally consider this case closed and want to thank to everyone, starting with whole EVGA support team, that helped me understand what is going on.
2024/02/16 22:12:21
polykoma1
Im on Auto and got permanent TDP Throttling in my XTU as soon as I start a browser. Lol.

So only Switchting from Auto  to   Manual Per Core or Per Ratio fixes it?=
2024/02/17 11:41:24
ZoranC
polykoma1
Im on Auto and got permanent TDP Throttling in my XTU as soon as I start a browser. Lol. So only Switchting from Auto  to   Manual Per Core or Per Ratio fixes it?=

Yes, switching from 'auto' to 'manual' makes it go away. However, according to those that know CPUs and motherboards very well "fixes" it isn't correct phrasing because there is nothing to fix, nothing is broken (see explanation's by Tin_EE above).
2024/03/25 16:32:51
dmann304
This a very annoying issue, that i just discovered.  I uninstalled XTU, and put Eleet back on.  And added 
pci-ex supplimental power to bottom of board, maybe it will help.  I have all Slots used by NVME cards, and
USB 3 card and 3080Ti  OC'ed to 1ghz mem 100 GPU Core.  

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account