2020/03/05 17:49:51
ZoranC
mkimbro
ZoranC

I'm not sure if this helps, But I notice this issue on my Micro ATX 2 setup too, with the latest bios, and with a 7920X CPU... I just thought is was the way it was. Go figure.... I don't think I have the throttle issue, just the pure clock mode reset to 43x. per-core.

Thank you for sharing this info :) According to what LeeM posted in that thread I linked too this issue has been triggered by Intel microcode update and happens only when all 3 certain conditions are in place. My problem is that I am not meeting 2 out of 3 conditions yet it is happening.
2020/03/05 19:14:38
PINKTULIP
ZoranC
mkimbro
ZoranC

I'm not sure if this helps, But I notice this issue on my Micro ATX 2 setup too, with the latest bios, and with a 7920X CPU... I just thought is was the way it was. Go figure.... I don't think I have the throttle issue, just the pure clock mode reset to 43x. per-core.

Thank you for sharing this info :) According to what LeeM posted in that thread I linked too this issue has been triggered by Intel microcode update and happens only when all 3 certain conditions are in place. My problem is that I am not meeting 2 out of 3 conditions yet it is happening.

Easy to blame Intel microcode...........
2020/03/05 19:55:41
ZoranC
PINKTULIP
Easy to blame Intel microcode...........

As I am not an insider I have to give benefit of a doubt to both sides.
2020/03/27 21:29:01
davidmoffitt
I experienced similar tonight on my X299 Micro - set some cores of a 10920X to 5.0 but could only get it to boost to 4.6-ish with out adding more voltage (normally on other boards and even on other CORES on this board, it'd just crash in Cinebench if the voltage was too low, but would actually allow the full clock speed vs hitting a current limit / power limit). Strange behavior :(
2020/03/27 23:28:15
ZoranC
EVGATech_LeeM
We're looking into this.

EVGA / @EVGATech_LeeM any updates, please?
2020/03/30 00:54:26
zGunBLADEz
i have a question as well why the micro2 is power throttling with avx after the 1.330v mark?? even when vrms are well cooled?? it also happens when i disable cores and disable ht from bios and uses less power draw only when i go above this 1.330v setting?

it dont throttle when im looping cinebench or running other aplications over and over but it will throttle "drops multiplier in some cores" on a loop in blender what gives ?

2020/04/09 13:43:47
EVGA_Lee
ZoranC
EVGATech_LeeM
We're looking into this.

EVGA / @EVGATech_LeeM any updates, please?

Again, my apologies for taking a long time to answer this.  

Our MB/BIOS teams looked into what you're seeing, and it falls under "working as intended".  EDP/Current limit throttling looks like the CPU default behavior when following Intel's guidelines.

When you switch it to "Manual" mode, our X299 BIOS will auto-adjust some overclocking settings.  This is why you'll see a difference between Auto and Manual.
2020/04/09 13:45:22
EVGA_Lee
zGunBLADEz
i have a question as well why the micro2 is power throttling with avx after the 1.330v mark?? even when vrms are well cooled?? it also happens when i disable cores and disable ht from bios and uses less power draw only when i go above this 1.330v setting?

it dont throttle when im looping cinebench or running other aplications over and over but it will throttle "drops multiplier in some cores" on a loop in blender what gives ?

Which AVX tests are being run for each benchmark?  Also, which CPU?
2020/04/09 14:55:56
ZoranC
EVGATech_LeeM
Our MB/BIOS teams looked into what you're seeing, and it falls under "working as intended".  EDP/Current limit throttling looks like the CPU default behavior when following Intel's guidelines.

When you switch it to "Manual" mode, our X299 BIOS will auto-adjust some overclocking settings.  This is why you'll see a difference between Auto and Manual.

Could you please elaborate what exactly you mean with "working as intended" because this Intel's article implies, way I am interpreting it, you see this warning when motherboard is NOT working as intended:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000039154/processors/intel-core-processors.html

To quote them:

"Current Limit Throttling
There can be multiple reasons why the current limit is throttling on the processor. The three common reasons for current limit throttling:
  1. Processor Core IccMax is set too low in XTU.
  2. VR (voltage regulator) current limit is set too low in BIOS. (Different motherboard OEMs may have different names for this control, so please check with your motherboard vendor.)
  3. The motherboard is not able to provide high enough current for the given CPU. Pairing a low power motherboard with a very high Thermal Design Power (TDP) chip can cause current throttling, even with current limits set to the maximum."
So why exactly you claim, please, that seeing this means mb is working as intended?
2020/04/09 21:48:35
zGunBLADEz
EVGATech_LeeM
zGunBLADEz

Which AVX tests are being run for each benchmark?  Also, which CPU?

7980xe it does it on blender but not on cb runs. Static or adaptive. Cpu is well cooled as well..

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account