2020/02/16 19:19:14
sjcrespo
So I want to update the VBIOS for my Powercolor 5600 XT video card. But after downloading the latest RUFUS MS-DOS file and installing it on my 8GB USB stick and setting it up in the Z390 Dark bios to boot priority #1 USB Sandisk Voyager, after post it still goes into my SSD drive and loads Windows 10 as normal.

Is there a setting in Z390 Dark BIOS (for legacy mode or something) I need to turn on in order to boot from a USB stick into MS-DOS? Thanks in advance!
2020/02/16 19:36:13
bob16314
Need to 'Quick format' the USB drive with Rufus using 'FreeDOS' under 'Boot selection'.

Need to have the USB drive plugged in and then restart your PC.

You may need to disable 'Fast Boot' in the BIOS.

You can bring up the 'Boot Device' menu after POST but before Windows starts loading by spamming an F key, I think that it may be F7 for that mobo..Or plug in, restart, and set the USB drive as the first boot device, which you did already.

Did you do/try all that?
2020/02/16 20:29:52
Mr. Fox
If you have the boot mode set to UEFI change it to Legacy. 
2020/02/16 20:35:11
sjcrespo
^ Its set to UEFI last time I checked. I'm gonna change it to Legacy and give it a try.

[EDIT] It actually worked. Changed it to Legacy, booted up on first try after saving & restarting. Updated the VBIOS successfully!! Thanks.
2020/02/16 21:02:14
HeavyHemi
sjcrespo
^ Its set to UEFI last time I checked. I'm gonna change it to Legacy and give it a try. Thanks.

Anyhow...once you're in the BIOS as long as you have formatted the USB stick correctly you should see it as being a bootable drive in UEFI BIOS boot menu. You do not need to be in legacy mode.
2020/02/16 21:22:02
sjcrespo
HeavyHemi
sjcrespo
^ Its set to UEFI last time I checked. I'm gonna change it to Legacy and give it a try. Thanks.

Anyhow...once you're in the BIOS as long as you have formatted the USB stick correctly you should see it as being a bootable drive in UEFI BIOS boot menu. You do not need to be in legacy mode.

Dunno what to say, but it wouldn't load no matter what. And yes, I could see it listed in the BIOS with UEFI enabled. Bios would list it as USB Sandisk Voyager and I selected it as #1 Boot Priority. Took a chance, and changed it to Legacy in the BIOS, but then I no longer saw USB Sandisk. So I just picked USB Disk (generic) as #1 Boot and it loaded up fine after save & restart. Go figure... 
2020/02/16 21:36:37
bob16314
Cool

I use an el cheapo 64GB Kingston DataTraveller or an 8GB Lexar thing (USB thumb drives) for that kinda stuff..Never had a problem.
2020/02/16 23:29:55
Mr. Fox
sjcrespo
^ Its set to UEFI last time I checked. I'm gonna change it to Legacy and give it a try.

[EDIT] It actually worked. Changed it to Legacy, booted up on first try after saving & restarting. Updated the VBIOS successfully!! Thanks.

Cool. I figured that might be the problem. Glad that worked and you were able to get it flashed.

I have never been able to boot DOS with UEFI mode unless you have a BIOS with a CSM option that gives you the combo that includes UEFI and Legacy simultaneously, and most do not allow it. The XOC BIOS for the X299 Dark allows it, but the stock BIOS has that menu option hidden, so it is one or the other, not both.
2020/02/17 03:17:15
bob16314
And the numero uno reason I went with ASUS and not EVGA this time is... a better/more compatible/smarter BIOS.

Although an F key will bring up the Boot Selection menu for you so that you could choose what to boot from without changing anything in the BIOS (if your drive is visible)..You should find out which one it is because it can be really handy..Like I said, I think it's F7 for that board.
2020/02/26 20:58:35
Mr. Fox
bob16314
And the numero uno reason I went with ASUS and not EVGA this time is... a better/more compatible/smarter BIOS.

Although an F key will bring up the Boot Selection menu for you so that you could choose what to boot from without changing anything in the BIOS (if your drive is visible)..You should find out which one it is because it can be really handy..Like I said, I think it's F7 for that board.

ASUS definitely wins hands down on firmware options. EVGA and their other competitors really need to take some lessons from ASUS on robust firmware configuration options and access to more settings. The Maximus X Hero Wi-Fi AC motherboard I used to have, and the Rampage VI Apex that my X299 Dark replaced both had truly outstanding firmware configuration options. The problems that I had and a number of my close overclocking buddies have had with ASUS products relate to hardware reliability and a truly lousy warranty fulfillment process. I was extremely happy with both of those motherboards until I had failures that required RMA. The lousy tech support and a long and drawn out RMA process soured an otherwise epic experience for us. This is where EVGA totally destroys its competitors, particularly ASUS. If they would get their act together as well on the firmware side of things they would be the undisputed winner in every category.

My Maximus board had problems with the RAM slots failing (original and replacement) and the Rampage board actually caught on fire due to an electrical short in the fan controller circuit. In both cases, I was without a working computer for about a month while they analyzed the motherboards to decide if they were going to replace it under warranty. They initially tried to deny my warranty on the Rampage board and claimed I caused it by overloading the fan circuit, which was baloney because I did not use any of the onboard fan headers and no fans were connected. I use an external fan controller hub connected directly to the PSU, and controlled the fans manually. A good friend of mine is on his third Rampage VI Apex RMA (fourth motherboard) in two years due to the RAM slots failing (intermittently not detecting DIMM modules).

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account