• Hardware
  • my gpu die dissolving ? (p.2)
2020/02/16 10:18:28
sparetimepc
Yeah it looks like both corners are messed up and also the one side of the sealant seems to be flaking away or something, does seem to be kind of unusual from any i have seen. Abnormal as far as i would say. 

Attached Image(s)

2020/02/16 10:29:29
the_Scarlet_one
I am thinking the yellow line SparetimePC made is just left over thermal grease.  I still suggest cleaning it with a tooth brush (gentle pressure) and rubbing alcohol.  This will clean around the SMD's and everything without risking breaking them off.  using a coffee filter or napkins or anything else is rather risky when it comes to the SMD's are the die, but the bristles on a tooth brush are perfect.

Use a towel or a rag to clean the excess paste removed from the surface of the Core PCB from the tooth brush occasionally, and then gently wipe it off.  

No matter what, a bette picture will definitely be necessary to verify.  

I am hoping that your GPU is still fully functional just to ease the stress of everything you are experiencing.  

A video I made last year on this topic:

2020/02/16 16:54:43
GTXJackBauer
Looks like the TIM on there.  As everyone stated, time for some cleaning.  Those corners do look odd.
2020/02/16 17:49:53
ty_ger07
The corners were chipped at some point. I would imagine that the original heatsink or waterblock were stuck on there pretty good, and you had to lever it off, rolled it over that edge, and the corners chipped.

Looks pretty plain and simple to me.

If it just happened, I hope that it still works when you put it back together.

I imagine that your video card's warranty is now void.
2020/02/17 12:20:58
aka_STEVE_b
ty_ger07
The corners were chipped at some point. I would imagine that the original heatsink or waterblock were stuck on there pretty good, and you had to lever it off, rolled it over that edge, and the corners chipped.

That's what I see also or corners chipped off from uneven tightening of the block back & forth.... if it's not put on alternating from corner to corner / little by little 
2020/02/18 07:17:39
Sajin
Chipped die. 
2020/02/18 08:53:06
Cool GTX
aka_STEVE_b
ty_ger07

That's what I see also or corners chipped off from uneven tightening of the block back & forth.... if it's not put on alternating from corner to corner / little by little 

+1   uneven or Over tightened

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account