2020/02/14 18:55:00
Jiberish001
I read in a post that the thermal throttle begins at a cool 55-60c. Did a forum search with no luck. Is this really true, that my card is throttling itself at such low temps? Is there any way to change this? This seems ridiculously excessive for a water cooled card. I can understand if maybe the vrm temps play a role here, but judging by how low the vrm fan runs even in the more aggressive oc mode, I'm guessing the vrms are not getting that hot.

If this is true then it's going to upset me quite a bit. The 45-50c mark is a normal STARTING POINT for these cards while gaming, even when water cooled. Hitting such a low thermal limit can be as easy as loading into the game. Why would this card need to maintain such a low temp?
2020/02/15 01:04:59
Sajin
Dynamic adjustment starts at 40c. Dynamic adjustment isn't true thermal throttling. True thermal throttling starts at 90c.
2020/02/15 10:09:02
Jiberish001
This dynamic adjustment, can you elaborate a bit? Like how much is being adjusted per Celsius or something?
If I start a game, and temps are already at 40-45c from the start, does this mean I never see the full potential of the boost clock while playing that game? How much am I missing, and can this adjustment be changed in any way?
This still seems kind of ridiculous, especially now that you tell me this is happening at an even lower temp. Why is this adjustment starting at 40c? A good idle temp is around 30c. Reaching 40c is far too easy for there to be an adjustment needed.
Perhaps if I understand this adjustment better.
2020/02/15 10:43:00
Cool GTX
Jiberish001
This dynamic adjustment, can you elaborate a bit? Like how much is being adjusted per Celsius or something?
If I start a game, and temps are already at 40-45c from the start, does this mean I never see the full potential of the boost clock while playing that game? How much am I missing, and can this adjustment be changed in any way?
This still seems kind of ridiculous, especially now that you tell me this is happening at an even lower temp. Why is this adjustment starting at 40c? A good idle temp is around 30c. Reaching 40c is far too easy for there to be an adjustment needed.
Perhaps if I understand this adjustment better.

It is Nvidia Boost 4.0 controlling the Max GPU MHz to balance Power/ MHz & Temps -- all based on load on the card

I've  seen my 2080 Ti(s) exhibit MHz Drop starting @ ~ 36C

While testing - run GPU-Z & check the Performance Tab to see what your GPU is doing & limited by

Getting as much cold room (colder the better) air into your case while getting the hot air out is important, for Max OC

You see the GPU pushes most of the heat into your case. 

That is why many OC either use Open benches (instead of closed cases) - Custom water cooling & exotic sub-zero cooling for those World records
2020/02/15 10:57:28
the_Scarlet_one
How is your air intake and exhaust configured on your system? It may help to know how your system is set up so that folks can see what you are working with and how they may help you improve your airflow to lower your temps.

Anything over Base/Boost clocks is perfectly normal. If you start going below base clocks, there is a problem. If your card is overclocking itself with GPU Boost, and you are overclocking on top of that, and it adjusts down from 2000mhz to 1900 MHz, you are still well above stock specs and your card is operating normally.

Please provide details on your system, to include the frequencies you are referring to.

Best bet is to include GPU Sensor tabs after gaming for 20-30 minutes, or HWInfo64 clocks. This will show actual numbers and not broad numbers or guesses.
2020/02/15 12:42:08
GTXJackBauer
the_Scarlet_one
How is your air intake and exhaust configured on your system? It may help to know how your system is set up so that folks can see what you are working with and how they may help you improve your airflow to lower your temps.

Anything over Base/Boost clocks is perfectly normal. If you start going below base clocks, there is a problem. If your card is overclocking itself with GPU Boost, and you are overclocking on top of that, and it adjusts down from 2000mhz to 1900 MHz, you are still well above stock specs and your card is operating normally.

Please provide details on your system, to include the frequencies you are referring to.

Best bet is to include GPU Sensor tabs after gaming for 20-30 minutes, or HWInfo64 clocks. This will show actual numbers and not broad numbers or guesses.

+1 
2020/02/15 13:19:44
Jiberish001
I don't need any cooling help. I have good temperatures for all of my components. All my stuff idles in the range of 35c or less depending on current room temp. This isn't about overclocking. This is about normal gaming with only the cards normal boost. My clocks are still within spec, but it's still ridiculous that they should be getting 'adjusted' at 40c (or even less apparently). This may be a significantly contributing factor for why I'm able to game for hours at 55c, but I don't NEED to be gaming that low. I shouldn't have to suffer a lose of hertz for temps I never asked for. If this stupid thing would ease up just a bit I could probably get an extra 100mhz, and hit 2000 (with no OC) while still maintaining a very reasonable temperature. These newer cards are advertised for their under 70c gaming. I have a ton of headroom that I'm being held back from using, UNLESS I increase volts or clocks, and that is absurd to me.
2020/02/15 13:46:57
Cool GTX
Jiberish001
I don't need any cooling help. I have good temperatures for all of my components. All my stuff idles in the range of 35c or less depending on current room temp. This isn't about overclocking. This is about normal gaming with only the cards normal boost. My clocks are still within spec, but it's still ridiculous that they should be getting 'adjusted' at 40c (or even less apparently). This may be a significantly contributing factor for why I'm able to game for hours at 55c, but I don't NEED to be gaming that low. I shouldn't have to suffer a lose of hertz for temps I never asked for. If this stupid thing would ease up just a bit I could probably get an extra 100mhz, and hit 2000 (with no OC) while still maintaining a very reasonable temperature. These newer cards are advertised for their under 70c gaming. I have a ton of headroom that I'm being held back from using, UNLESS I increase volts or clocks, and that is absurd to me.

That is how Nvidia Boost is supposed to work .... You do not Need to manually OC the card because Boost 4.0 does it for you ... usually at speeds Above the advertised boost speed ...

Besides; 100 MHz on your GPU ... not sure your FPS would change in your games

Nvidia Boost 4.0 Will lower MHz (step down) to try for the Best automatic OC - based on Temps, loads, MHz, Voltage

RTX 2080 Voltage Limit, Boost 4.0, & OC Interview w/ Tom

(boost 4.0 - starts near 7:20 mark)

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Review: No Seriously, Just Buy It (Page 11)
2020/02/15 14:12:00
Jiberish001
I don't overclock this GPU. The extra hertz may seem insignificant to you, but when that little bit is what's keeping me from getting the same performance that many others talk about then it becomes significant to me, especially considering the reason for missing out. I don't have time to look at that stuff right now, but I can tell you this isn't an issue of voltage limitation. If I allow the card to take 100% of it's volts from the start, then I see the gains I'm talking about, with no changes to core clock. So the problem is obviously an issue of the boost being too conservative when the power it has at it's disposal. I should have the option to game at higher temps for higher clocks, without the need override the boost with an oc. I cannot say it enough, that speed stepping at 40c is absurd. If I'm gaming at 55-60c, then how much more am I losing from this stepping from 40 to 60? 60c gaming is great, but it's not really necessary.
2020/02/15 15:01:10
Sajin
It drops like 15 mhz at 40c, 50c, 60c, 70c and 80c for a total of 75 mhz lost if you reach all the way up to 80c. You can't adjust it.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account