• EVGA Power Supplies
  • Why oh why did you move away from SuperFlower to go with FSP powersupplies?
2020/02/08 18:16:08
Dukman
The G2 and G3 line up of power supplies were awesome.   This new G5 line produced by FSP is... well disappointing.  Sorry EVGA, but Im going to have to wait and see what happens with these new PSU's before I consider one for any builds I do.  Fortunately the warranty is still there, and my money is on the fact that the buyers will need it more than they did with the previous line up

Hopefully the big boys 1300 and 1600 will still be made by SuperFlower.  
2020/02/09 16:10:59
Sajin
EVGA has used FSP before.
2020/02/14 15:50:09
DamonLynch
The simple answer is because of the Trump tariffs on goods made in China. PSUs are made in Shenzen. Companies like EVGA need to meet price targets. When tariffs bump up the price, something has to give, and it's quality. Tom's Hardware raised this very point in their reviews of the G5 PSUs.
2020/02/16 04:36:21
GTXJackBauer
DamonLynch
The simple answer is because of the Trump tariffs on goods made in China. PSUs are made in Shenzen. Companies like EVGA need to meet price targets. When tariffs bump up the price, something has to give, and it's quality. Tom's Hardware raised this very point in their reviews of the G5 PSUs.

Wrong.  We're not in the EVGA boardroom to know what their decisions are based on.

Here's a more info and not one mention about PSUs.
2020/02/16 07:25:49
DamonLynch
GTXJackBauer
DamonLynch

Wrong.  We're not in the EVGA boardroom to know what their decisions are based on.

EVGA is like any business. It must meet price points in the market, make plans for the future, fulfill contracts, etc. Just because some tariffs were changed at the last minute doesn't mean EVGA can simply ignore plans and contracts it put in place many months before.

Or are you suggesting that EVGA would switch to an inferior PSU manufacturer just for fun? Or to somehow make more money at the expense of customers receiving an inferior product? Personally, I don't believe that. It's clear the tariffs forced their hand. They had no choice. That's the entire point of tariffs.

Quoting Tom's Hardware journalist Aris Mpitziopoulos:

"U.S. tariffs put an end to EVGA's close cooperation with Super Flower, so EVGA turned to FSP which is a good OEM with reliable products, but it cannot meet the performance levels of the Leadex platforms, used in the G3 models."

and again:

"EVGA's high numbered G, P, and T lines (G2, G3, P2, and T2) exclusively used Super Flower's Leadex platforms, which are among the best in today's market. Nonetheless, recent U.S. tariffs affected manufacturers with production lines in China, so EVGA had to turn to another OEM for the new G5 line, which will replace the G3 models."

Sources:

https://www.tomshardware....power-supply,6337.html
https://www.tomshardware....power-supply,6344.html
2020/02/16 09:03:17
GTXJackBauer
DamonLynch
GTXJackBauer
DamonLynch

EVGA is like any business. It must meet price points in the market, make plans for the future, fulfill contracts, etc. Just because some tariffs were changed at the last minute doesn't mean EVGA can simply ignore plans and contracts it put in place many months before.

Or are you suggesting that EVGA would switch to an inferior PSU manufacturer just for fun? Or to somehow make more money at the expense of customers receiving an inferior product? Personally, I don't believe that. It's clear the tariffs forced their hand. They had no choice. That's the entire point of tariffs.

Quoting Tom's Hardware journalist Aris Mpitziopoulos:

"U.S. tariffs put an end to EVGA's close cooperation with Super Flower, so EVGA turned to FSP which is a good OEM with reliable products, but it cannot meet the performance levels of the Leadex platforms, used in the G3 models."

and again:

"EVGA's high numbered G, P, and T lines (G2, G3, P2, and T2) exclusively used Super Flower's Leadex platforms, which are among the best in today's market. Nonetheless, recent U.S. tariffs affected manufacturers with production lines in China, so EVGA had to turn to another OEM for the new G5 line, which will replace the G3 models."

Sources:

https://www.tomshardware....power-supply,6337.html
https://www.tomshardware....power-supply,6344.html

But did they get this from the horse's mouth or this a opinion piece?  I think the latter.
2020/02/16 09:11:49
DamonLynch
GTXJackBauer

But did they get this from the horse's mouth or this a opinion piece?  I think the latter.

So your explanation for why EVGA chose a clearly inferior quality PSU supplier at the same time tariffs were loudly signaled is. . . . . what, exactly? 

You seem to be blaming EVGA. You seem to think tariffs have no effect on supply chains. That's not how life works.

I'm saying EVGA had little choice if they wanted to maintain their market share.
2020/02/16 09:28:10
apsese
DamonLynch

How does that matter here if both Super and FSP are still made in China?

2020/02/16 09:29:19
RainStryke
I wouldn't recommend the G5 to anyone. I got one thinking it was a Super Flower unit and quickly found the quality was lacking when the unit I purchased was making noises after about 60 hours of use. I ran a RMA on it and got a worse one in replacement. It was louder and less stable, I had to remove all of my overclock profiles in order to run stable with the second one. With the move EVGA took to with the 25% cash back promotion, I am convinced they knew there was a drop in quality and wanted to pay for good reviews before their gamble was dead in the water. Many people were quick to try and be the first 200 reviews to get that money back before actually noticing the flaws with the product. It took about 3-4 weeks until the original unit started to degrade and get louder. 
2020/02/16 11:39:48
DamonLynch
apsese
DamonLynch

How does that matter here if both Super and FSP are still made in China?

All PSUs we use are made in Shenzen. Any computer parts company like EVGA needs to meet well-recognized, pre-determined price-points in the market, e.g. $110 for an 850W in Microcenter (or something like that, I don't recall exactly what they sell them for) . If the prices are too high, people will not buy. So to keep prices the same after tariffs are applied, the quality of the product has to go down. Manufacturing PSUs is all about quality vs. price.The higher the quality, the higher the price. I think it was PC World that had a really excellent interview with the Corsair PSU guru several months back. That was his basic message: price vs quality. You want better quality, you pay more for it. Each market has price points companies like Corsair & EVGA must meet. The market in India is more price sensitive than the U.S. market, for example. PSU manufacturers target these price points.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account