2020/02/03 07:10:35
beegup
Ever since I installed this gpu (I believe) I can now hear what I can best describe as an electrical hum whenever the gpu or possibly cpu is under load. The sounds seems to be coming from either the gpu or the power supply, but can't seem to isolate it. Whenever it starts, any movement or input/interaction causes the volume level of the disruption to rise (but it doesn't change pitch like I've seen in videos about the coil whine). From what I can tell, it just started happening after installing the 2070 card (but the previous 5700 was causing other issues...). What steps can I take to isolate and fix? 
Currently running latest bios/firmware 
Using ryzen 2700x 
Evga 2070 super gaming black 
Gskill flare x 2x8gb c14 3200 
Gigabyte auros elite b450 mb 
Corsair cx series 650 bronze 
Monitor lg27gl83ab

Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: fixed after isolating noise, testing card in different machine, and swapping/upgrading psu in current machine. Recommend testing voltages and going for the better power supply for symptoms like this (or before they occur!....). Many thanks to contributors. 

edit by Cool GTX [Resolved] added to title
2020/02/03 13:24:29
spit051261
Could be psu .
Get a screwdriver ,long straw or something put it to your ear and put other end on card and then PSU.
See if you can isolate where sound is coming from .we use the screwdriver trick in work to isolate sounds coming from bearings etc.
It works .
The vibration to your ear will get stronger when your on the cause of the noise .
2020/02/03 13:37:45
bob16314
You can put a load on just the CPU/PSU using OCCT or Prime95 or Aida64 Extreme (30-day free trial) and see if that's what's noisy, but it sounds like the GPU is most likely doing it since you said "any movement or input/interaction causes the volume level of the disruption to rise."

There's also GPU benchmarks/stress tests such as in OCCT and Unigine Superposition and Furmark but those will load up the PSU too.
2020/02/03 14:27:04
beegup
Well I isolated it to the GPU. It's a loud buzzing (slightly "grindy" almost like an old hdd) noise. Loud meaning.. you can drown it out turning all fans on full speed. Very audible at normal fan curve under medium load and normal/medium temps.

Seems like everything I found before this pointed coil whine to different pitches where this one is the same sound just at 2 different volumes... mellow buzz/grind vs something sounds wrong buzz/grind. 

So I guess I have to go with coil whine?... Should I try a different psu before replacing the gpu? Should I bother replacing the gpu? 
2020/02/03 15:05:02
bob16314
See: What is coil whine, and how does it affect my video card? in the EVGA FAQs for answers to your questions.

2020/02/06 12:43:43
tattude69
I suggest a better power supply gold or platinum. Dirty power could be the reason your gpu is making noise. Try capping your FPS to see if noise changes.My understanding is a rtx 2070 is at least if not more powerful then my gtx 1080 and I personally would not run a bronze power supply on a 1080 let alone a rtx 2070 super.. you also stated you had problems with previous gpu and you installed new gpu and still have problems I would test your power supply. A really good power supply is the heart of any high end computer.
2020/02/06 13:32:06
HeavyHemi
beegup
Well I isolated it to the GPU. It's a loud buzzing (slightly "grindy" almost like an old hdd) noise. Loud meaning.. you can drown it out turning all fans on full speed. Very audible at normal fan curve under medium load and normal/medium temps.

Seems like everything I found before this pointed coil whine to different pitches where this one is the same sound just at 2 different volumes... mellow buzz/grind vs something sounds wrong buzz/grind. 

So I guess I have to go with coil whine?... Should I try a different psu before replacing the gpu? Should I bother replacing the gpu? 

If you are using vsync, the intensity varies. If you are not using vsync, the intensity and pitch varies with the game FPS and game load. 
2020/02/07 07:30:55
timbalistea
What you're describing sounds a lot like my card. There will be a hum/buzz right when it ramps up but then quickly fades. Oddly enough I don't think it happens when I have my custom fan curve set (minimum fan speed of about 40%). This could be just the fans drowning it out but I don't think so as the buzz/hum was pretty loud and the FTW3 fans at 40% in my case are barely audible.

Try setting your fans to like 40% and see if it still happens at all.
2020/02/07 15:36:49
beegup
So I swapped the card into another machine. No noise/coil whine. Swapping out the psu in my machine next. I believe the issue is bad grounding in that room/outlet.... will swap the psu and try a different outlet. Any power testing equipment advice/suggestions?
2020/02/07 18:05:28
GTXJackBauer
timbalistea
What you're describing sounds a lot like my card. There will be a hum/buzz right when it ramps up but then quickly fades. Oddly enough I don't think it happens when I have my custom fan curve set (minimum fan speed of about 40%). This could be just the fans drowning it out but I don't think so as the buzz/hum was pretty loud and the FTW3 fans at 40% in my case are barely audible.

Try setting your fans to like 40% and see if it still happens at all.

Sounds like a case of coil whine on your end.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account