• Folding@EVGA
  • This is embarressing to admit, so I will post it here because I am doing good work here
2020/01/31 16:03:31
SmookinJoe
Soooo
Not familiar with AMD products and I made the mistake of not realizing that not all cpu's can handle boards with onboard graphics
**Please Read Carefully**
I have a Asus B450-F new motherboard
https://www.asus.com/ca-e...G-STRIX-B450-F-GAMING/
a new Ryzen 7 2700x which requires discrete graphics card..(didn't realize this)
https://www.amd.com/en/pr.../cpu/amd-ryzen-7-2700x
Plus I have two new gpu cards I plan on installing
https://www.asus.com/us/G...IX-RTX2060-O6G-GAMING/
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-2163-KR

The reason for the following question is I have a i7 computer with two evga 2060 xc ultra's installed in a Asus Prime Z270 and I am using the onboard graphics port to view and I have FAH running on the computer. No problems or issues. Easily folding 1.7mil ppd on low setting

Here is the stupid question...

When I go to fire this puppy up CAN I(should I) use the onboard graphics port, with the Strix gpu installed and see if it works or connect directly to the graphics output of the card?

I have concerns that the FAH client will have unforeseen issues regarding slots etc because I am hooked into and using one of the gpu's, I am also concerned I might damage something internally as well because the chip doesn't have the ability to handle onboard graphics...
I started, and still use, the i7 using onboard graphics and upgraded to 2 2060 xc ultra's later having no issues all the way.
Joe
2020/01/31 16:26:59
z999z3mystorys
I'm not well informed on how onboard graphics work, but from my understanding, they are all in the CPU now, never in the motherboard. attempting to use the Motherboard's connection for onboard graphics may not do anything, as it'd require the existence of a onboard graphics that isn't installed.

So I think it's not so much of a CPU able to handle onboard graphics, but of a CPU not having any at all.

So my guess is that it's a matter of "you can't" not a matter of "you should/shoundn't".

I'd say use the 2060's port, then look in the bios to see if onboard graphics even exist, if it doesn't, then no need to try to use it.
2020/01/31 16:59:19
DrSchmidt
Nice choices.  I would connect the monitor(s) directly to the graphics card that is in the primary X16 slot of your new motherboard.
2020/01/31 17:02:16
STR1D3R_2
DrSchmidt
Nice choices.  I would connect the monitor(s) directly to the graphics card that is in the primary X16 slot of your new motherboard.

^ This
2020/01/31 18:55:03
SmookinJoe
Thx Everyone

I will probably put the ***Rog Strix 2060 in the primary slot and hook monitor directly to it. Then boot, install windows, configure Fah etc then add the EVGA 2060 xv after.
*** Rog has three fans so I figured the air flow would be able to handle drawing air from behind another card better***
I will let you know how it goes. Might take me a little while because I will be moving extra computer pieces from other equipment to save money.
I do have another question if you guys are interested.
Same machine different components.
I have  64 gigs of memory in the i7 and I was thinking of taking two 16 gig strips out and installing them in this Ryzen 7 computer.
Just have to make sure this is approved for this motherboard.
If you guys think this can cause me a problem let me know.
I am not have luck finding it listed on Asus site under the QVL for this motherboard and chip
I am sooo not an expert and if you guys have the time let me know if I am wrong...don't think I can use it
Darn, good thing I checked
Joe
Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 Dram C13 Memory Kit, CMK64GX4M4A2133C13R, Red

https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE%C2%AE-LPX-64GB-%284-x-16GB%29-DDR4-DRAM-2133MHz-C13-Memory-Kit---Red/p/CMK64GX4M4A2133C13R
https://www.asus.com/ca-e...F-GAMING/HelpDesk_QVL/
2020/01/31 20:23:43
bill1024
It may very well work, If it takes DDR4 and that is DDR4 pop it in and see.
You can go to the memory manufacturer web page and see if they have a list of MB they tested that set of ram in.
Then see if yours is on it.
2020/01/31 22:57:27
SmookinJoe
CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 is on the QVL list
I bought 2 sets of 2x16 for total of 64gbs
If it isn't ver 5.39 I will probably return it.
https://www.amazon.ca/Cor...electronics&sr=1-1
2020/02/28 17:02:44
SmookinJoe
The memory was not a problem.
I installed everything.
Windows Device manager disables one of the display adapters because it says it has a problem
The both say NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2060
I have tried to update, delete reinstall, pick a better driver but I am having no luck.
Tried updating device manager from the ROG cd that came with the GPU etc
Both say the same description and one is disabled by Windows
(it is always the lower numbered PCI slot, which confuses me because I thought that is the primary pci???) 

Should windows describe each of the cards differently?
One is EVGA and one is ASUS.

How do I get both enabled when I install the Asus in the secondary slot?
My Intel based machine has two enabled identical EVGA RTX 2060 XC in device manager ..
(2x)  NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2060

The EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 XC is in the primary PCI slot (it has a DVI-D connection which I connected to the monitor),
the ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 2060 is in the secondary PCI because it was too thick to allow any airflow if I installed a second card in PCI slot 2.
I removed the ROG card for the time being and installed FAH.
It is working as it should and the AMD based cpu (displaying 15 for folding) is getting more cpu based points than my intel based machine (displaying  6 for folding)...lol
PS..I am laughing because I am an Intel Guy..doh!

2020/03/07 23:37:29
DrSchmidt
#1: Make sure that you have the latest BIOS installed (version 3003 for your board).

Both cards should be listed individually, each as NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 in Windows Device Manager.

#2: You may have to go into the BIOS settings and manually disable the option (if there is one) to run Radeon Vega Graphics.  If the board has this setting enabled (regardless of whether or not you are actually using it), it may disable the second x16 slot.

#3: You can also try to install the second card on the 3rd X16 slot, rather than the 2nd slot.  In this configuration, it should run the second card at PCIe 2.0 x4.  I don't know if there will be a performance issue with this on FAH, but it should work until you figure out the problem with the 2nd slot.

I'm looking at the user manual for your board on pages 1-7 and 1-8 to give you this advice.

Hope it helps

2020/03/08 12:38:24
ProDigit
When I was folding (on Linux; my situation may be different than yours), the onboard HDMI/DVI port would shut down.
If I enabled the IGP, FAHControl would complain, because in slot 0 it would find a GPU, that it can't use.
If your CPU has no IGP, the motherboard display slots are not recommended to be used, simply because your CPU will feed your primary GPU display data, which it will send back via the PCIE port, to your motherboard.
In other words, you'll have up and download data going on at the same time, which reduces performance, and causes system overhead.
You will always want to display your screen via IGP when possible (on AMD systems with AMD IGP), and disable that IGP slot if you can in FAHControl.
Or, if AMD IGP can fold, use it; but then your display will tear (as it'll stop using double/triple buffering, and put out image in single buffering mode).
That means watching a youtube video might show tearing, and watching a 1080p/4k video might cause freezes or lags.

Instead, use the first dGPU, which will set aside like 50-100MB of RAM for the desktop (might be more for Windows), and should use between 1-10% of your GPU.

Set your screen to blank screen saver, and turn off screen after x amount of minutes.
In this state, you'll use near to 100% of your GPU.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account