2020/01/05 20:33:57
Thebigskysky
Hey guys!
Since i am thoroughly bothered by the lack of RBG sync-ability among manufactures i am having a hard time coming to terms with my graphics card not syncing with the rest of my case.  Since i am willing the "hack" around a bit with these things i was looking at the card and it appears that the RGB strip that illuminates the "EVGA HYBRID" logo is actually an RGBW strip.

My mobo is the Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER board and i have 5V/12V 4-pin RGB headers as well as 3-pin D_LED headers. 

QUESTION: Is there a way i can hard wire that RGB strip from my GPU to my MOBO, i have already figured out the routing im just not sure how to deal with the 5-pin RGBW with only a 4-pin RGB.  Also, any idea on what the voltage is? I peeled back some of the masking to reveal the pinout on the strip but it only showed a (+) for the voltage line. 

Thanks for any help in advanced!!!
2020/01/06 05:28:04
Kev1n8088
Based on other posts in other tech forums, I'd give it a MAYBE. 5pin RGB is basically GND + Red + Green + Blue + White (At least usually). The main appeal is that it can produce better pure white than just GND + Red + Green + Blue (4 pins) because instead of mixing colors to produce white, you can just use the white LEDs. If you leave the White pin not connected, you could, IN THEORY, connect Ground, Red, Green, and Blue, and not use the "better white" feature. This may kill your RGBW strip, I don't think anyone knows the voltage of that thing apart from EVGA. But it should be technically possible. Don't use DRGB.

You'd be better off buying a new argb strip, and would be much less of a hassle.
2020/01/06 10:01:05
Cool GTX
Kev1n8088

You'd be better off buying a new argb strip, and would be much less of a hassle.

+1

I'm guessing your not running a static Color
2020/01/07 21:18:06
Thebigskysky
Cool GTX
Kev1n8088

+1

I'm guessing your not running a static Color

Yea im not...
My last option was to just rip out the RGB strip and slap my own into the body of the card.  I prefer to have the colors cycle in sync. 

2020/01/08 05:13:50
ty_ger07
I have yet to see anyone create a thread saying something like 'I successfully connected my GPU RGB to my RGB controller/motherboard, everything is in sync, and this is how I have done it'. You see threads like that from time to time about custom fan, heatsink, and pump modifications. Instead, the only threads I have seen on this subject have gone something like 'I tried to connect my GPU to my system's RGB controller, and now my GPU LEDs don't work. Now what? Is my warranty now void?'. So, given the lack of success of those before you, I would not advise it. But, hey, if you get it to work by some stroke of genius, please post a guide so others can consider if they want to attempt to do the same.

Regarding the correct pinout, how to do it, voltages, currents, etcetera, you are on your own in uncharted territory.
2020/01/27 15:09:05
Thebigskysky
Sorry for the delay and i figured i was out on my own but i was going to give it a try... guess i will break down my gpu again and see what i can manage... was also thinking about putting an additional strip of my own in the bit of space under the case since its mostly clear... get some nice lighting effects from underneath since that portion of my case is pretty dark anyhow... will post an update if i manage to get it to work..

Again sorry for the delay, life.... but thanks for the suggestions and replies!

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account