2019/12/29 14:44:11
Ghost13
Yes thats right im 47 and just over clocked my i7 8700k to 5.1 ghz for the first time ever, and ran it for 6 hours stable.  temp reached 83c  while running folding.  i didnt noticed it was still over clocked, untill i looked at the LCD on my evga Z390 motherboard and seen 83, im like what the crap, so i opened up intels sfotware for over clocking and seen it was still at 5.1ghz..  how many other have done that over clocked and forgot.  and what was your over clock speed and what was your set up

so is it a overclock with a i7 8700k at 5.1ghz  on distilled water with nothing added to it and hitting 83c any good  ?
2019/12/29 14:49:48
Cool GTX
Moving this over to the Overclocking, Cooling and Benchmarking section of the forums

Home » All Forums » [Computer Hardware/Software] » Overclocking, Cooling and Benchmarking
2019/12/30 02:14:38
bob16314
83C isn't bad..The TjMax temp is 100C, that's when the cores start throttling down frequency/voltage to keep their temps in check providing that Thermal Control hasn't been disabled (enabled is default) in the BIOS.

You might get the temp down by lowering the Vcore, or changing the Load-Line Calibration (LLC) so that the Vcore doesn't increase so much under load..What is the Vcore under load/stress, that's what's most important?..Mine needs 1.390/1.392 for 5.2GHz and cores temps are less than 70C, but it's delidded and with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut (liquid metal TIM).

You can use (I do) Intel Burn Test or the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool for quick load/stress testing.

2019/12/30 02:46:09
Hoggle
Welcome to the world of overclocking. Keep in mind that as long as it's stable and cooling is good it's unlikely in the time your using the system that you would see any effects of the higher clocks.
2019/12/30 08:41:51
EVGATech_BrandonO
Oh first time overclocker! Overclocking is very fun once you get into it :)
If you are running those settings stable so far for several hours then I wouldn't expect any further issue from it but
of course keep an eye out and adjust if you need to.
Have fun!
2019/12/30 19:08:43
Ghost13
bob16314
83C isn't bad..The TjMax temp is 100C, that's when the cores start throttling down frequency/voltage to keep their temps in check providing that Thermal Control hasn't been disabled (enabled is default) in the BIOS.

You might get the temp down by lowering the Vcore, or changing the Load-Line Calibration (LLC) so that the Vcore doesn't increase so much under load..What is the Vcore under load/stress, that's what's most important?..Mine needs 1.390/1.392 for 5.2GHz and cores temps are less than 70C, but it's delidded and with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut (liquid metal TIM).

You can use (I do) Intel Burn Test or the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool for quick load/stress testing.

not sure what ya mean by some of that .  like the LLC  .. but im using some crappy silver thermal paste i got off ebay. 
as for what everything is set at i took photos and ill put it all down here ..
information is from the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility i got from Intel's software download page .

my system is post here on the Mods rigs page
( top 10 evga system by category - 3d fire strike 
motherboard EVGA Z390
im at 10th place:  1st. EVGA Build   
system owner: Ghost 13 
https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?buildid=40563

all the stats on there is all stock settings, didn't think i code post the over clock.
  i posted that system last month before i even said lets over clock.
 then i said to my self, lets see if i can burn up the CPU at 5.1 ghz.
it didn't happen, i tried . 
Then i i got looking over Silicon Lottery's website and seen some of there settings they had done. 
and i went Hmm, lets try some of this settings . 
and now here we are .. 
finally got it to run a 5.1ghz, using silicon lottery settings, on some of there cpu`s they have over clocked.
i went for the 5.2ghz settings and it crashed and system restarted . 
so i backed it down to 5.1 ghz. a
nd today i got it to 5.12ghz. 
ran the test on the intel software Extreme Tuning Utility and just added .2 to the reference clock along with the 5.1 clock profile i saved ..
and got it to 5.12, running the same as below .
have not tryed to go back to the 5.2 clock speed, but will work my way there. 
IF i hit that speed and it runs stable for say 5 minutes running intel extreme benchmark i will say i hit 5.2 ghz.  

max turbo: 5.1
intel boost: enabled 
turbo  power max: unlimited
turbo short boost power: unlimited
turbo boost short power max: enabled
turbo boost  power time window: 28.000 seconds
core voltage mode: adaptive
cove voltage: 1.415v
core voltage offset: 0.000v
processor core IccMax: 255.750A
AVX Ratio offset: 3.000x
1-6 active cores: 5.1000X 

Cache voltage mode : Adaptive 
cache Voltage: default
Cache Voltage offset : 0.000
Cache IccMax : 255.750A

memory is Adata Z1 DDR4 3000mhz stock timings 

2019/12/31 03:46:25
bob16314
Basically, Load-Line Calibration, aka Vdroop, or CPU Vdroop as it's called in your BIOS -> OC section as seen here keeps the CPU core voltage lower, or lowers it, under load so that the core voltage doesn't spike over Intel specs when it transitions from load to no load..Exactly what you don't really want when overclocking.

You want to have a low Vcore (as possible) and use LLC to keep it the same or increase it under load..This is best.

I think that on your board, a 75% Vdroop is default when it's on Auto..You need to see how your board reacts to a lower or higher Vdroop % or number..My board uses Levels 1 - 7 and the higher the Level the more Vcore is applied under load..Your board might be opposite and the lower the Vdroop % the higher the Vcore will be under load, I'm not sure but I think so, you'll have to find out.

Vcore under load is what's most important.

Now, what you can do to kind of rough it in is to use the latest EVGA E-LEET software and set the Vcore to Override and apply a fixed Vcore to find out how much voltage your CPU needs to maintain a given frequency..After that, go into the BIOS and apply it..That way, using the sofware, you don't have to keep going into the BIOS time and time again and changing it all the time..The software will make dynamic changes by default, meaning temporary, until the next boot/start/restart, but there is an option to make them apply at startup..Making changes in the BIOS are static changes and will always remain.

In your mobo manual, in the Using the E-LEET X Software Suite section, it says:

Generally speaking, Adaptive will allow you to tailor your CPU Vcore voltage profile to keep voltage usage and heat to a minimum, while Override is more of a brute-force method of setting your CPU Vcore voltage.

Adaptive gives you both Target Voltage and Offset Voltage as an option.  When adjusting Adaptive, you start by setting your target voltage, which you will discover through stress-testing your CPU.  The Offset voltage is then used to fine-tune additional voltage that may be required in load or stress situations.

Override just provides a static voltage; outside of extreme benching, this setting is typically not needed or ideal for the longevity of the CPU, since the VCore is meant to fluctuate based on load.  Alternatively, this can be used in the early stages of overclocking to find your Target voltage, before switching back to Adaptive.

You can make/save different overclocking profiles in E-LEET and you can change profiles 'on-the-fly' without having to go into the BIOS and do it as also stated below..But you can also make/save overclocking profiles in the BIOS.

The Options tab is for managing your ELEET profiles.  You can save overclock profiles made in the previous section, as well as selecting an option to load a profile at boot.  Use care, however, when setting a profile to load on startup; if the overclock is unstable, it may prevent your system from booting to the OS.

Before you do anything though, you should make sure to update to the latest BIOS if needed found in the EVGA Download Center..There have been BIOS updates for improved overclockin/compatibilty/security reasons.

So, with all that said, it might be a good idea to clear CMOS, which returns the BIOS to all default settings, and begin again.
2019/12/31 05:29:56
RainStryke
Bob has provided a lot of really good overclocking info to follow. -- Just to call it out directly, 1.415v is too much, you will see degradation in your overclock abilities within 3-6 months at that voltage, hints the reason he's suggesting to find your lowest voltage requirement.
2019/12/31 11:49:01
Ghost13
based off the information given and the information i have at hand.  the information i have came from Silicon Lottery.com`s web site  https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics..
but with the new information from Bob, ill have to make changes to adjust .. 
and the software i am using to get my over clock is one from intel 
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU .. 
and now with the NEW information, ya i got some work to do..
when i get time and the wife and youngest child is gone and i can focus more on over clocking.. 
2019/12/31 11:52:49
Ghost13
aw it didnt post ..

but over all i got work cut out for me.
all this new information, bob has given is good intel.
and what i had from the Silicon lottery website and using the Intel software for over clocking.
i defintly got some woek, to run this system at 5.1 ghz stable, more stable and with easy.. 
that screen shot Bob, its seems like it is from a EVGA Z390 FTW, if it is that is the motherboard i am running .  right when i seen it, i was like same UEFI as i have ..
and i do have the EVGA software, i never used it.  i have it to monitor mainly, and to see what my cpu is doing and what parts i have installed..  other than that never really messed with any of the setting for overclocking ..  

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account