2019/12/27 19:29:47
yaggaz

First of all, what does "individually sleeved" mean?  And I want to run a 8 pin power cable and a 6 pin power cable separately to my RTX 2080

I notice the extra cables that come with the PSU have the 6 and 8 but they seem to be daisy chained/piggy backing each other? Like it ends with a 6 pin and then further down there's another 6 pin.  Is this what it means when it ISNT individually sleeved?

Is it possible to buy dedicated cables for my PSU that go straight from the PSU to the Video Card without any extra bits dangling off it?   Does it MATTER to have more hanging off of it than the one you have plugged in? Thanks.

2019/12/27 23:49:54
bob16314
Individually sleeved means each wire is sleeved (covered) separately from the rest like shown here..A sleeved (covered) cable has all the wires sleeved (covered) together inside one sleeve (cover) as shown here..Some cables have no sleeving (covering) at all like shown here..A sleeve is a protective wire/cable cover.

You can use one of the two PCI-E connectors from the cable that's hardwired to the PSU and leave the other connector part hanging doing nothing..Same thing with one of the PCI-E cables that's removeable (Modular) from the PSU..Use only the connector part you need from each cable if you want to, it doesn't matter.

EVGA is saying here that modular cables from BQ/B2/B3/G2/G3/G5/G+/GM/P2/PQ and T2 units are interchangable with each other..You can Contact EVGA Customer Service to get cables with just a 6-pin or just an 8-pin PCI-E connector on it (no extra bits hanging off it) or go to CableMod and get them there.
2019/12/28 16:11:44
yaggaz
bob16314

You can use one of the two PCI-E connectors from the cable that's hardwired to the PSU and leave the other connector part hanging doing nothing..Same thing with one of the PCI-E cables that's removeable (Modular) from the PSU..Use only the connector part you need from each cable if you want to, it doesn't matter.

EVGA is saying here that modular cables from BQ/B2/B3/G2/G3/G5/G+/GM/P2/PQ and T2 units are interchangable with each other..You can Contact EVGA Customer Service to get cables with just a 6-pin or just an 8-pin PCI-E connector on it (no extra bits hanging off it) or go to CableMod and get them there.

I guess I'm just not knowledgeable enough to understand what that information means on the first Evga link there so I just went with using an extra modular VGA cable that came with the PSU .   So now I did as you suggested, have the eight pin from the hardwired cable and using a six pin from a modular so they are separate.    Anything I need to keep an eye on for issues? 

Also, is it safe to cut off excess cable lengths and plugs you dont use (pic below) and just wrap it with electrical tape?  It's not a big deal I'm just OCD about seeing plugs hanging down that don't connect to something :)

2019/12/28 22:29:22
bob16314
yaggaz
Anything I need to keep an eye on for issues? 

Also, is it safe to cut off excess cable lengths and plugs you dont use (pic below) and just wrap it with electrical tape?  It's not a big deal I'm just OCD about seeing plugs hanging down that don't connect to something :)

No and yes.

I was almost going to suggest before to just cut the stupid things off with some side cutters and tape up the excess but I didn't want to give people the impression that sometimes I'm a butcher that some members here already know I am ..Just make sure there's no possibility of bare wires touching each other. 
2019/12/29 02:18:24
yaggaz
bob16314
yaggaz
Anything I need to keep an eye on for issues? 

No and yes.

I was almost going to suggest before to just cut the stupid things off with some side cutters and tape up the excess but I didn't want to give people the impression that sometimes I'm a butcher that some members here already know I am ..Just make sure there's no possibility of bare wires touching each other. 

Haha okay thanks.
2019/12/29 14:48:22
piggradio
Just be VERY careful about insulating every single cable if you cut one or more off.  You don't need a short inside your system blowing something up or burning your house down.  Good luck with your project.  :-)
2019/12/29 14:54:49
yaggaz
piggradio
Just be VERY careful about insulating every single cable if you cut one or more off.  You don't need a short inside your system blowing something up or burning your house down.  Good luck with your project.  :-)

Like, don't cut it off, then run the PC and put the exposed cut wires on my tongue? Well that's no fun...
2019/12/29 15:47:38
piggradio
I'd heat shrink each individual cable, but electrical tape would work if you don't mind it looking crappy.  Save that tape for holding your car's mirrors on.  :-)

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account