2019/12/29 18:59:14
dwoodward
Most expensive Motherboard I've ever seen. Hilarious. Especially considering Threadripper is crushing Intel ATM in the market that this board is marketed towards. EVGA needs to take a step back in my opinion, if they want us to take this board seriously. This is just some serious LOL atm.

2019/12/29 20:09:05
Ranmacanada
dwoodward
Most expensive Motherboard I've ever seen. Hilarious. Especially considering Threadripper is crushing Intel ATM in the market that this board is marketed towards. EVGA needs to take a step back in my opinion, if they want us to take this board seriously. This is just some serious LOL atm.

Yep.  For the price of this board alone you can get a board and chip that will destroy any of the Xeon-W's that this board supports.  (24 core 3rd gen Threadripper 3960x and a motherboard)  The top end Xeon 3175x has an OEM price of $2999, and gets beat by processors half it's price.  https://www.anandtech.com/show/15044/the-amd-ryzen-threadripper-3960x-and-3970x-review-24-and-32-cores-on-7nm

There is no reason to buy this board/platform unless you like wasting money, or you need an expensive space heater (look at the power usage difference between Threadripper and the 3175x, more than 100 watts!)
2019/12/30 22:35:29
ComboSlicer
Can you discuss AMD vs Intel elsewhere please?
2019/12/30 22:38:23
Ranmacanada
ComboSlicer
Can you discuss AMD vs Intel elsewhere please?

We are discussing this board and how much of a joke it is.  That is all.  If you see it otherwise, I'm sorry that you don't seem to understand this.
2019/12/31 00:27:22
ComboSlicer
Well the product clearly isn’t for you. Obviously this platform is a niche and from economical point of view there are cheaper options (which is good).

Comparing with other two motherboards this one is clearly rather cool, kudos for the waterblock.

Lets hope there will be reviews soon.
2019/12/31 02:01:59
apsese
But can it run Crysis?
2019/12/31 04:07:49
Spartan0536
I am wondering at this point if Intel is paying "rebates" to EVGA for not making any TR40X or X570 boards, they are the only board partner to yet produce a single board for EITHER of those 2 platforms?

As for the board, $1800 for a board is really stretching it even for the exotic high end consumers, and most of them are looking for performance where the best chip this board will get gets STOMPED HARDCORE. The waterblock is a nice touch, but the only people I can see even buying this board will use exotic cooling solutions like LN2 to get max clocks, it's a cool board with a cult following, but it's dead on arrival sadly :(
2019/12/31 06:32:56
aka_STEVE_b
definitely not marketed for me , is all I can say.
2020/01/02 13:04:53
mr_scary
vinhus
I hope its raid config will work with third-party high-end NVme SSD such as Samsung... and if it does not support then waist the money!

failbadon
vinhus
failbadon
vinhus
I hope its raid config will work with third-party high-end NVme SSD such as Samsung... and if it does not support then waist the money!

you'd spend money on something like this and not buy a dedicated hardware raid card?

Im not a rich man to spend $1700 for this and other raid hardware couple hundred bucks ?! sorry i can't compete with you Mrmillionaire 

if you've got 2k for a board for this (average) and the 3k for the CPU (average) factor in u.2 real SSDs and a good bit of RAM the RAID card is not an issue.  And onboard RAID blows anyways.  Always has, always will.   Ditto that nobody who will "game" on a board like this is going to use the onboard audio, it's well past the price point where soundcards or external DACs come into play.

If anybody is going to be sane and actually "use" this platform rather than brag here's what you want , won't OC but  you shouldn't OC it but has LRIMM support.

And hardware raid cards are less than a 2080ti, let a lone a titan, it's not that bad for expense.

If you are talking about NVMe Raid it will be pointless if this board is "PCIe 3.0" I ran 2 Samsung Evo Plus' in RAID 0 and the result was actually worse then 1. 
As far as other types of raid for other uses IDK. So there will be no performance gain on PCIe 3.0, 4.0 may have better results, but there are now PCIe NVMe that are much faster.

Now for RAID using Mechanical drives that's a different story, I have been running HDDs in RAID 0 Since Nvidia 780i (Still Have it) years ago, and I am running RAID 0 x 5 in this PC for almost 5 years. Onboard RAID is not trash, and works great, One of the things I really love about Intel HEDT boards, is the onboard RAID is Great! Easy to setup properly in BIOS/UEFI, and never fails on me. It makes for excellent game drives with large capacity, and performance. However I don't think I would buy this board cause I don't want to spend this kind of money, I would if I had cash to blow.

Attached Image(s)

2020/01/02 13:36:12
bill1024
I guess everyone has an idea what this board would be good for and not good for.
No raid, just one 160gb WD velociraptor drive would be all I need once up and running.
Could use a 16gb USb drive but they are a but laggy when working setting things up, but good enough to run once done.
Bet this setup would be great for BOINC crunching, especially primegrid LLR project, no doubt at all
But for this price I would get a dual or quad socket MB and a couple CPUs.
For playing games, why would anyone buy this at this price when an i7-8086k or i9-xxxxx 8 core will play any game thrown at them.
This should be a dual processor system like the ones that came before it.

High end hardware is getting priced out of the reach of the average person. 1700$ GPUs and motherboards, several thousand $ CPUs.
As long as some are willing to pay.....

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account