2019/12/06 20:44:34
yaggaz

Thank you again for the extra advice and comments it's very much appreciated.  When you save up for a year and drop 700 for a video card it can get pretty nail biting when you worry something might be wrong.

Anyway the case is nearly 12 years old.  I seem to remember buying from a company called "3D Cool"? or such.

The rest of my stuff:

Windows 10 home
Asus VS229 21.5 inch monitor
Evga RTX 2800 Super with 441.41 drivers.  (55c to 55c idle min/max on hardware monitor on for three hours no ames played yet tonight)
620 Watt Power Supply   (Have a evga Bronze 750 watt shipping now to replace)
Creative Labs X-Fi Sound Card
Gigabyte z270P-D3 Mb  (27c to 44c on Hardware monitor min/max idle)
i7700k  (27c to 54c on Hardware monitor min/max idle)
16 Gig Ram 2133 set to 2400 with XMP
Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 1TB  ( 32c to 32c min/max etc)
(The DVD drive is old broken junk that's unplugged that I've been too lazy to toss lol)

Temp in my room is about 60 degrees f,  (It's winter here in the mountains)

What about one of those PCI slot fans above or below the RTX?  Also I'm willing to spend up to 150 bucks on a new case that comes with QUIET (I hate fan noise) fans already installed that would be superb for this setup? I was googling last night but I am so indecisive.  Anybody have a good recommendation on what they use?

Update:  Late last night When turning on vsync and limiting to 60fps  the temperature sticks around 70c, but the whole reason I got a 2800 was to prepare for 144hz gaming at 1440p with a new monitor, but if I'm stuck at 60fps why bother now?

2019/12/06 20:56:01
GTXJackBauer
yaggaz

Thank you again for the extra advice and comments it's very much appreciated.  When you save up for a year and drop 700 for a video card it can get pretty nail biting when you worry something might be wrong.

Anyway the case is nearly 12 years old.  I seem to remember buying from a company called "3D Cool"? or such.

No offense here but as soon as I saw that image, I stopped reading the rest. (Kinda skimmed through it actually. :P)  It's really time for a new case cause these GPUs love fresh cooler ambient air and they perform faster because of it.  You could keep running till you hit the thermal wall which will result in a shutdown or restart to protect itself but that is all up to you.  Many great decent cases in the $100-$150 range to choose from or possibly even less.  I guess it all depends how much room you're looking for.
2019/12/06 21:15:02
EVGATech_DanielM
It is time to upgrade the case my man. You are suffocating that poor card. The air flow in this case looks to be poor. Try popping off the side and see if the temps get any better. 
2019/12/06 21:23:29
CraptacularOne
yaggaz

The rest of my stuff:

Windows 10 home
Asus VS229 21.5 inch monitor
Evga RTX 2800 Super with 441.41 drivers.  (55c to 55c idle min/max on hardware monitor on for three hours no ames played yet tonight)
620 Watt Power Supply   (Have a evga Bronze 750 watt shipping now to replace)
Creative Labs X-Fi Sound Card
Gigabyte z270P-D3 Mb  (27c to 44c on Hardware monitor min/max idle)
i7700k  (27c to 54c on Hardware monitor min/max idle)
16 Gig Ram 2133 set to 2400 with XMP
Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 1TB  ( 32c to 32c min/max etc)
(The DVD drive is old broken junk that's unplugged that I've been too lazy to toss lol)

Temp in my room is about 60 degrees f,  (It's winter here in the mountains)

What about one of those PCI slot fans above or below the RTX?  Also I'm willing to spend up to 150 bucks on a new case that comes with QUIET (I hate fan noise) fans already installed that would be superb for this setup? I was googling last night but I am so indecisive.  Anybody have a good recommendation on what they use?

Update:  Late last night When turning on vsync and limiting to 60fps  the temperature sticks around 70c, but the whole reason I got a 2800 was to prepare for 144hz gaming at 1440p with a new monitor, but if I'm stuck at 60fps why bother now?

Holy crap....that case is a relic from a time forgotten. After seeing that I'm now thinking your thermal grease on the GPU is probably OK, you are just choking the life out of it with that case. That case has zero intake in the front and those puny fans on the side are from a time when most video cards didn't even have heatsinks on them. That case looks like it's from the late 90s early 2000s.

It is definitely time to buy a new case and move your gear into it. Look for something with good ventilation like the Fractal Design Meshify, Phanteks P400 or really anything at this point. SOmething with a front intake fan arrangement preferably with a mesh front. 

2019/12/07 12:23:23
yaggaz
Haha thanks for the laughs on the case comments.   I like that one you linked, but it looks to have only one fan on the front.  Isn't ideal like two on the front, three exhausting?  Thanks.
2019/12/07 12:30:05
CraptacularOne
yaggaz
Haha thanks for the laughs on the case comments.   I like that one you linked, but it looks to have only one fan on the front.  Isn't ideal like two on the front, three exhausting?  Thanks.

https://www.newegg.com/black-phanteks-eclipse-p400a-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811854086

This recently won the GN "case of the year" award for it's excellent air flow and overall build quality. It comes with 3 intake fans and one exhaust fan as well as a top vent for adding more fans if you want. As for "ideal" in most cases you want more intake fans than exhaust for what is known as "positive pressure". 

PS: If you want an idea of what it looks like with a system in it, It's the very case I'm currently using you can see pics of the inside arrangement I have on my "Mods Rigs" link in my profile. 
2019/12/07 16:32:27
GTXJackBauer
Corsair, ThermalTake, NZXT and Coolermaster are other case manufacturers that design nice cases as well on top of Phanteks and Fractal Designs.  I'm sure there are more I'm missing but those are some of the common cases you see in today's builds that have nice designs.
2019/12/07 18:06:08
yaggaz
Wow those are some nice pics.  Amazing how the lighting can make something so effective also look so sweet, hehe.   So with that setup what type of temperature you getting on your 2080ti under load and how quiet is it?  Reasonably quiet is critical for me...

Oh also did some tests I think it's pretty much the nail in the coffin that my case is garbage.

Borderlands 3
1920x1080
Unlimited frames, vsync off, AA off, AO low,  Fog Medium:

Regular Closed case on

69 load CPU
84 load GPU

Right side of the case off

67 CPU
76 GPU

Both sides off, room fan blowing directly into case  (Idle before booting game, for the first time ever goes down to 41c from 55c)

68 CPU
67 GPU

Thanks for the case pics and those other ones named, GTXJack, time to do some review/research on these.
2019/12/07 18:56:13
CraptacularOne
yaggaz
Wow those are some nice pics.  Amazing how the lighting can make something so effective also look so sweet, hehe.   So with that setup what type of temperature you getting on your 2080ti under load and how quiet is it?  Reasonably quiet is critical for me...

Oh also did some tests I think it's pretty much the nail in the coffin that my case is garbage.

Borderlands 3
1920x1080
Unlimited frames, vsync off, AA off, AO low,  Fog Medium:

Regular Closed case on

69 load CPU
84 load GPU

Right side of the case off

67 CPU
76 GPU

Both sides off, room fan blowing directly into case  (Idle before booting game, for the first time ever goes down to 41c from 55c)

68 CPU
67 GPU

Thanks for the case pics and those other ones named, GTXJack, time to do some review/research on these.

My card tops out at about 55C load at 2100Mhz give or take 50Mhz from GPU boost. I usually run my fans in their quiet profile for gaming and general use. It is quiet but not absolutely silent (nothing with fans is) but it is very quiet in general.

Um I don't wanna be harsh but the final nail in your case's coffin should have been about 10-15 years ago. It's time to let that one go man. I can't for the life of me fathom why you would drop $700 on a GPU and put it in a case that old and with no ventilation. 
2019/12/07 19:24:56
CraptacularOne
Have a look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u8rGgYrRZY&t=875s

Round up of a lot of the most popular cases on the market today. 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account