2019/12/05 19:13:17
yaggaz

So I have two fans in the left side of my case blowing air at the GPU and CPU area and one external exhaust fan.

Just started trying out my evga 2800 Super on Borderlands 3.   Load is a whopping 84c playing it at 1920 x 1080  with Ambient Occlusion set to low,  AA off and Fog taken down from Ultra to High.   I can see that both the card's fans are working too as is my PSU fan.

If the maximum safe temperature is 88c I have problems right?  And 55c with fans blowing on it at idle seems way too hot to me as well :(
2019/12/05 20:11:01
CraptacularOne
I'd remove the cooler and reapply thermal compound. 55C idle is definitely not normal. 
2019/12/05 20:35:12
yaggaz
Thank you.  But reapply compound on a brand new card that's only had a few hours use? 
2019/12/05 20:52:21
CraptacularOne
yaggaz
Thank you.  But reapply compound on a brand new card that's only had a few hours use? 

It's either that or RMA it. I'd try to reapply the thermal compound so you won't have to wait for a replacement. But if that doesn't bother you then by all means RMA it, you have a valid reason. 
2019/12/05 22:56:08
yaggaz

Okay thank you for the advice I appreciate it!
2019/12/06 00:44:49
GTXJackBauer
I would also make sure your ambient room temp isn't too warm to start with either.
2019/12/06 04:25:09
aka_STEVE_b
Only 2 fans sucking in & 1 fan out might be a bit to little of airflow ?  you can make sure it is not the card by taking off your side panel for freeflow air & retest your temps .

What case are you using ? 
What are the rest of the system specs of parts in side the case ?
2019/12/06 04:37:43
sparetimepc
yaggaz

It is a very common practice to reapply thermal paste on a brand new card, so many times even though the card is new the original OEM application of thermal paste is not very good. 
2019/12/06 06:25:09
Cool GTX
aka_STEVE_b
Only 2 fans sucking in & 1 fan out might be a bit to little of airflow ?  you can make sure it is not the card by taking off your side panel for freeflow air & retest your temps .

What case are you using ? 
What are the rest of the system specs of parts in side the case ?

+1

Could be you trapped the Heat in the Case as that cooler pushes most of the GPU heat into the case --> Your case fans need to remove the heat

Now - if 55 C is your idle temp after the PC sits overnight - that would indicate a possible issue with the TIM application - not covering the entire GPU Die

Please remember: If you cause physical Damage to the card while changing the TIM - that would Void your Warranty.  If your experienced & comfortable changing the TIM - you probably think it is reasonably easy to do. 

If you RMA a New Card - you would get another New card - though you have to pay shipping & wait for the replacement

EVGA Warranty

(excerpt) If an RMA is necessary within 30 days of the original purchase date of a new in box Product, a new in box OEM replacement will be sent to the Original Purchaser in return, subject to availability.

How To RMA
2019/12/06 09:46:51
kevinc313
Turn on vsync and post a pic of your case.

55C idle with fans OFF is normal.  30C or so idle with fans on.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account