2019/11/03 14:21:32
donbrownz
My first computer job was swapping 5MB disks out of an IBM machine and loading punch cards.
5 years later built my first computer around an Intel 80286 CPU.
Last 30 plus years I built hundreds of systems BUT mostly bought premade systems the last 10 years

Things just getting faster.  Same basics but devil in the details.

Graphics today IMHO  are the first area to look how a system will perform.

Today I have teenagers wanting to build gaming computers.

So I have a budget of 2 to 2.5 grand US dollars to build their first system.

I tried PC builder BUT ... 

Did a build bought a power supply and come to find out needed a 20+4 pin for better performance.  So return it to scrambled egg store.

Also bought a Phanteks Enthoo Series Primo Aluminum ATX Ultimate Full Tower Case and figure the thing will last a while for ATX motherboard builds.  I do have an old HD server rack in the garage but not gonna use it.

My endgame is to have a upper middle of the road build and upgrade every couple of years.  Probably AMD i7 , low end ETX2080 or high end 2070 , monitor 144 MHz refresh rate.   Its been my experience to go lower than state of the art or end up a BETA tester.

I am trying to figure out the nomenclature … modular non modular ... effeciency bronze gold etc.

How the heck do you pick a power supply?

BTW gonna post similar question about graphic cards so if there is a place to like general forum and then branch off to specific forums (graphics , Power supply, cooling etc.) I'd like to know.

2019/11/03 14:52:00
MSim
You could checkout reviews on power supplies you like or see what people recommend. I would suggest checking out EVGA 750W G2 or SeaSonic Focus Plus 750W Gold power supply.

Are you going with 1080p, 2K or 4K monitor?

General Hardware forums section would be a good place to post questions on building a new system.
https://forums.evga.com/General-Hardware-f40.aspx

2019/11/03 21:51:50
donbrownz
Monitor around $400  so thinking 

LG 32GK650G-B 32" 2560x1440 QHD 144Hz Gaming Monitor with G Sync (31.5" Diagonal)

Item # LG32GK650GB (Part # 32GK650G-B)
2019/11/03 22:17:20
donbrownz
I understand you recommend a EVGA 750W G2 at $110 or SeaSonic Focus Plus 750W Gold $100 power supply.
Thank you for the response. 

How do you come to this conclusion?  I can see the 750 watt … so runs around 40% capacity.

Since your recommendations are adequate … playing devils advocate why not go for it and get a Platinum power supply for $120?  Assuming Platunum better than Gold?

How did you pick from these ? The G2 is not on EVGA site  IS G2 on older model?
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 PQ  $120
$160
$100
$119
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G5 $100

$140

BTW are cables extra on a modular power supply?
2019/11/04 07:21:50
wmmills
donbrownz
I understand you recommend a EVGA 750W G2 at $110 or SeaSonic Focus Plus 750W Gold $100 power supply.
Thank you for the response. 

How do you come to this conclusion?  I can see the 750 watt … so runs around 40% capacity.

Since your recommendations are adequate … playing devils advocate why not go for it and get a Platinum power supply for $120?  Assuming Platunum better than Gold?

How did you pick from these ? The G2 is not on EVGA site  IS G2 on older model?
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 PQ  $120
$160
$100
$119
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G5 $100

$140

BTW are cables extra on a modular power supply?

The color codings like bronze, silver, gold, platinum, titanium are the efficiency ratings that the psu was officially tested for and can do. Now, some units will be rated say gold but can do platinum efficiency pretty reliably but not quite good enough for the company to be comfortable promoting the higher rating. One example of that was Coolermasters first Vseries like the V-1000. You want to slog through a trusted electronics testers reviews of psu's you can do that here: http://www.jonnyguru.com/  They are legends and really know what they are looking at with proper testing equipment. All modular psu's come with there own cables, the higher the wattage the more cables they can accomadate. If you go to the 1200watt and higher i would suggest a semi-modular unit for safety, reliability cause your tapping much higher currents and a hard soldered line for the pc's main 24 pin is usually more reliable. The extra cable packs your seeing,like evga selling, can either be if you need extra cables or you want to buy a whole pack of cables in a different colors for aesthetics. As always, DO NOT mix and match modular cables from different manufacturers or differnet lines within the same overall model lines or your going to regret it cause it can potentially fry your components. Hope that helps some and get sloggin!
2019/11/04 08:23:36
RainStryke
If your shooting for 1440p @144Hz, then I would make sure to get a RTX 2080 Ti for your video card, anything lower isn't going to be enough.

As mentioned above, make sure to check the power supply reviews on Jonny Guru's website, they do a full break down of the PSU with a detailed explanation of why they chose to rate the power supply the way they did. The Seasonic Focus Plus series power supplies are solid, I went with the 850w Platinum model and I've been pretty happy with it so far. If I went with EVGA, i'd suggest checking out the P2 or G3 series stuff. I highly recommend staying away from EVGA G5 line-up though, I had terrible luck with their 750w model.

For the memory, I would suggest looking into a 3600MHz kit, something like this:
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232740

For your motherboard and processor, we have a lot of options on the market right now. If you have a Microcenter in your area, the i7 9800X is probably the best deal going on right now. AMD has the Ryzen 7 3700X that will get you about the same performance. The trade off between the brands is that the AMD motherboard is going to cost more, so pricing between the brands is pretty similar.

Source:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_3800x_review,24.html
2019/11/04 08:47:45
donbrownz
I was just going to go with (direct the kids) to EVGA SuperNOVA 750 PQ  $120.

But gonna have the kiddies goto  to make a "better" determination.

My basis for teaching my children … Give a man a fish eats for a day … teach a man to fish eats for life.
2019/11/04 09:26:24
donbrownz
Microcenter is 2-3 hours away … not viable to save a little money.  It opened back in the late 80's … a worthy competitor at the time. Gonna probably do mostly mail order.

For CPU was looking at the Ryzen7 3700X with an Asus Crosshair VIII motherboard.  Again devil in the details which  Crosshair VIII Formula , Crosshair VIII Hero etc.  I think liquid cooled is better.

Although with history Intel usually gets aggressive when AMD gets close and releases some newer technology. But that's not available today.  It is interesting how AMD changed routes a few years back on how it routs data thru the CPU. Now we are at 5.2GHz overclock on AMD's Ryzen 9 3950X and I'll bet it will be upgraded again before years end while Intel lowers the price on the i5 , i7 , i9 thank you Moore's Law meeting up with Capitalism.

I get it on the RTX 2080 Ti … Again devil in the details … Kingpin is too much Not sure stay in the 8GB realm or move up to the 11GGB. New / used warranty etc.  My default is  to buy direct. We are coming off of 4 PS4's and 3 dell machines and upgrades are ALWAYS gonna be available.

Already got a deal on the Full size case … open box never used Phanteks Enthoo Series Primo Aluminum ATX Ultimate Full Tower Case for $120.
Has fan mgmt pwm built in with  1 x 140mm fan on top, 2 x140mm LED fans in front, 1 x 140mm fan in the rear, and 1 x 140mm fan on the bottom. Ability to upgrade to additional fans is possible. All fans included are Phanteks PH-F140SP.  Even has separate compartment for cooler pump. Case weighs about 45 pounds.  I have an old server rack in the garage I use as a tool stand BUT its over 100 pounds and the boss says its staying in the garage or donate it to a museum.
2019/11/04 10:39:36
RainStryke
I actually wouldn't suggest a Kingpin model for the RTX 2080 Ti. Those have always been aimed towards enthusiast. I would recommend this model:
https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-11g-p4-2281-kr/p/N82E16814487418

Yeah, but that Ryzen 9 3950X is going to be very difficult to attain... and it's $750. The Ryzen 9 3900X is worth looking at if you are considering an i9 9900K since they are about the same price. Intel is still a little bit quicker in games @ 1440p. The i7 9700K is also a decent option.
2019/11/04 12:28:07
donbrownz
newegg has some good deals.  Wonder what Cyber Monday will be like. Intel i9 9900K is $490 today.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account