2019/11/18 11:57:08
Vlada011
Wait review of 10900X - 10920X. 
Maybe Intel drop price of 12C/24T model, closer to R9-3900X value.

For my needs I would rather take Intel 12 cores then AMDs 16 for same price.
Becuase PCI-E 4.0 still sleep same as USB 3.1 Gen 2 and because X299 is my favorite chipset of all available now.
Even I prefer him more then Threadripper, actucally Threadripper is not for me at all. 

2019/11/18 12:00:13
MadmanRB
Vlada011
Maybe Intel drop price of 12C/24T model, closer to R9-3900X value.

This would be smart but I dont know if intel can do it.
This is the con of doing your own fabs, but they still need to cut prices next gen no ifs ands or buts.
2019/11/18 12:09:48
kevinc313
I find it very difficult to take AMD seriously because they got rid of their IC fab ten years ago.  

I'm guessing that people getting all riled up about "muh 7nm process" don't really understand that AMD stopped fabbing their own chips.
2019/11/18 12:29:35
MadmanRB
kevinc313
I find it very difficult to take AMD seriously because they got rid of their IC fab ten years ago.  

I'm guessing that people getting all riled up about "muh 7nm process" don't really understand that AMD stopped fabbing their own chips.

But again there are obvious cons to doing your own fabs as indicated by intels current prices over AMD, not to mention intel has been locked to the same base with only minor tweaks.
Intel has not innovated and will continue to not innovate as long as they dont take AMD seriously.
This is not a battle of core and thread counts, or high FPS, or frequencies or 7nm.
Its a matter of offering the best product for the money and to be honest I think this is where AMD currently shines.
Intel can have the best product on the market with the 9900K but the competition comes so close.
This is what can hurt Intel, they can still remain ahead of AMD but the cost factor needs to be competitive.
Neither company can rest on their laurels, sure AMD is still playing catch up but we know already the next processors will be faster.
Granted we are still talking about incremental changes but Moores law is faltering thanks to how small things are now.
Both companies will need to adapt and i already like AMD's "Chiplet" idea, its not perfect but it does mean AND processors can be more modular now.
processor modularity is what i think the future of computers are based on our current rate of technology.
3D nodes are also plausible but I think combining the two would be for the best.
Performance gains will soon be a thing of the past though and the next fight would be efficiency methinks.
2019/11/18 12:38:38
kevinc313
Intel controls their own fabs and their own destiny.  

This does not matter for consumer grade manufacturing.

It becomes a big factor for enterprise.

2019/11/18 13:17:49
MadmanRB
Yeah but what about Epyc?
Seems like AMD is making some headway there.
Thats two fronts where AMD is nipping at Intels heels.
Again so far the only place AMD is slagging behind on is laptops and on mobile platforms but they have the potential to do well there as well.
2019/11/18 13:57:06
kevinc313
MadmanRB
Again so far the only place AMD is slagging behind on is laptops and on mobile platforms but they have the potential to do well there as well.

I'd be curious who is deploying those at the enterprise level.
2019/11/18 14:06:27
MadmanRB
Netflix is planning on using them in servers:

https://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/136478-netflix-eyes-move-amd-epyc-processors-data-centres/

As is Tencent:

https://www.kitguru.net/tech-news/james-dawson/tencent-will-be-using-amd-epyc-rome-processors-in-new-star-lake-cloud-server/

Microsofts azure:

https://www.hpcwire.com/2019/11/06/azure-cloud-first-to-feature-amd-epyc-rome-processors/

These are the three main companies so far that seem to be ready for AMD

I can imagine many following them, small steps.
2019/11/18 14:08:02
RainStryke
MadmanRB

What about Epyc? -- Looks great for raw processing performance, but I don't see anything like DDR-T for AMD.

AMD is highly dependent on TSMC to surpass Intel and they've all ready been up front that they are not going to be able to keep up with the demand. One example would be... they are super late with the Ryzen 9 3950X that was announced to come out in the first half of the year. Now reviewers have it, but it's still not available to consumers. What I find interesting... everyone is looking at this battle between AMD and Intel, no one is watching Samsung just take everything,
2019/11/18 14:19:21
MadmanRB
Well the main reason why samsung is ignored is that they are more a factor in mobile and yeah mobile markets get ignored by us techies as we like our old fashioned X86 CISC style processors and our standard computer desktops.
Though Samsungs dominance has not escaped me, they have become a juggernaut and will be very hard to ignore quite soon.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account