2019/11/05 14:05:28
flyinion
mrblond
I was looking at those 10xxx chips and unless they take a good OC i dont think they would be much better then the 9900k, unless the x299 is much better then the Z390 boards.
  I still have not really got a good answer on the whole hyperthreading thing. Seems its worse in some games, but I should get it over the 9700k due to it being more futureproof..

I am leaning to just licking up a 9900k and hoping it OCs well. Now to deciding on a good board to pare it with.

Before I jumped ship and went with a Ryzen 3700X I was going to do a 9900K with a Gigabyte Z390 Master.  Gigabyte seems to have some of the best boards for overclocking those this time due to their VRM section and both Gigabyte and the ASrock Taichi series kept popping up everywhere I asked over other boards.  One thing that was mentioned to me was if you plan to use Quick Sync to help with stuff like Premiere that you have to make sure the board has a display output (not sure if it needs to be HDMI or if min DP like the Z390 Dark will work) otherwise that feature won't be available.  Z390 FTW doesn't have that for sure, also the MSI boards don't IIRC.
2019/11/05 14:50:22
mrblond
I been looking at the Maximus XI hero and the Gene with the gene being better powerwise as well as the Master. the Master and the Hero seem to be about equal in price with the Gene being more expensive by about $100 but they say its on the top tier for OCing powerwise. I have used the Asus bios before and I am hearing the Gigabyte bios is not that great, so that could be a factor as well.
2019/11/05 16:06:21
RainStryke
mrblond
I been looking at the Maximus XI hero and the Gene with the gene being better powerwise as well as the Master. the Master and the Hero seem to be about equal in price with the Gene being more expensive by about $100 but they say its on the top tier for OCing powerwise. I have used the Asus bios before and I am hearing the Gigabyte bios is not that great, so that could be a factor as well.

I just downloaded and installed the new F10 BIOS for my Z390 Master. It was pretty easy. They changed up the layout a little bit, but overall it's pretty much the same. The overclocking software is what I use for my overclocking and it's pretty solid, playing around with my i7 9700K I had 4 cores at 5.4GHz. The amplified USB ports are the primary reason I went with Gigabyte. 
2019/11/05 16:51:31
mrblond
RainStryke
mrblond

I just downloaded and installed the new F10 BIOS for my Z390 Master. It was pretty easy. They changed up the layout a little bit, but overall it's pretty much the same. The overclocking software is what I use for my overclocking and it's pretty solid, playing around with my i7 9700K I had 4 cores at 5.4GHz. The amplified USB ports are the primary reason I went with Gigabyte. 

I used the asus software to OC my 7700, I can only get to 4.9 though, but I really have not tweeked things to much.
2019/11/16 12:44:51
Squall_Rinoa86
mrblond
I am not considering a upgrade to my desktop. I have the ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) Z390 semi picked out for the mobo but I am also looking at some others. I have had pretty good luck with the ROG boards in the past which is why I picked this one.
  The big question is picking the CPU. I am considering the i9 9900k, which I think it at the top if the list. There is also the i9 9900kf, which should be cheaper but it is not.. and finally the i7 9700k
  I mostly play games but as I run 3 monitors, i tend to have several other things open, like a messenger, firefox and several windows open as well as maybe youtube playing.
   I have not really found the answer if I would benefit from the extra threads as well as hyperthreading from the i9 chips or will the i7 do the job.
  I am also a little concerned about buying into a soon to be replaced chipset on the mobo, like I found with my last one even though its lasted a good 2 years now, id hate to get a new mobo then find the next gen of chips that may come out in the next 6 months take a entirely new chipset and I got to do this all over again if I want one of the new chips.
  and I see i need to put the new system into my sig.

I just built an i7 9700K System with that board. No issues what so ever. I'm using a CLC 280 from EVGA and have no problems cooling the 9700K @ 5GHz.

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/9253486

i9 9900K is nice with HyperThreading, but Still quite happy with it. Was a large bump in CPU performance versus my i7 4790K.

Hyperthreading will only help you keep using the i9 in the future as some games are maxing out the 9700k. If you want to future proof, go the i9 9900k or KF. 9900K for me was out of reach, so went with the 9700K.

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/9253486/spy/7965565

Attached Image(s)

2019/11/17 05:55:54
MadmanRB
Why not go for AMD?
Sure the 9900K is still the best at gaming but the Ryzen 7 3700X can keep up in a lot of tasks with the 9900K and is cheaper.
I know AMD is a big evil nasty word for some folks but the zen2 platform is pretty awesome in my book.

I am not a AMD fanboy mind you but right now Intel is looking a bit silly.
2019/11/17 13:27:38
mrblond
Never really considered AMD, i just am used to intel I guess. I might need to look harder at it.
2019/11/17 15:11:29
MadmanRB
Its just a little hard to ignore AMD right now as they offer loads right now.
AMD isnt perfect but I am rooting for them a little
2019/11/17 17:22:38
mrblond
anything to help bring down the prices, although it looks like AMD is taking after Intel with their pricing
2019/11/17 17:46:31
MadmanRB
Well in the case of both the Ryzen 9 3900X and the 3950X I do think AMD has good justification of the price more then intel does.

Remember the 3900X is a 12 core 24 thread processor so it makes sense why its $500
I can also justify the cost of the 3950X as well as both of these kinds of core and thread counts are locked on intels enthusiast grade hardware whereas the 3950X is actually on a mainstream platform this making the incentive to buy it very appealing.
Then there is the 3950X which at $750 but that is pennies compared to intels offerings.
This is pretty much the same thing that happened when AMD launched the 1800X, again its launch price was pretty high at $500
It was easy to compare it to the price point on the losing side when talking about games compared to the 8700K but again it was (true) 8 core 16 thread processor for the mainstream.
Its practically the same situation with the 3950X, its price is insane for mainsteream but is a total steal for enthusiast grade processors.
The big issue right now of intel is that they have a supply issue and cant mark down the higher end stuff.
AMD is really being good at taking this opportunity here.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account