2019/10/26 07:46:05
sparetimepc
So this is a project i have been working on for a while and its now complete but have not tested performance yet.  A lot of people were saying there was no way to use the original memory cold plate for the kingpin card because of the way it was designed with any type of water block so i decided to try a modification. I bought the EKWB thermosphere to try just because i am thinking of using the EK-FC Terminal to link two kingpins together if this mod cools good. I like the Hydro Copper block but i wanted to try this mod and see if the flow can be improved because i think the hydro copper is to restrictive. What i done was replaced the thermosphere block with the G92 bracket instead of the G80 bracket it came with and used the standoffs it had came with. I removed the standoffs and then placed the cold plate on the block and then screwed the standoffs back on using them to hold the cold plate in position. Before installing it i drew the outline of the cold plate opening on a 1.0mm copper shim that could be used to fill the cold plate opening after installation.  i used my dremel grinder to then shave away the copper shim to fit inside the opening of the cold plate. After that mod i placed it on the pcb and tightened it down to make sure i had good contact and then removed it to inspect it and the thermal paste spread pattern was excellent and the thermal pads on the coldplate were contacting the memory like they should be.  I decided to go ahead with the rest of the mod then by reinstalling the original copper heat sinks and fan assembly as well as the back plate using as many of the screws as i could and then also added an LN2 kit OLED for the Kingpin so it still has the display screen.  So now that the mod is complete i will have to do my testing to see if it was worth it or if i just did a mod to say it could be done.

2019/10/26 07:48:54
Cool GTX
interesting
2019/10/26 07:50:29
rjohnson11
This is very interesting. 
2019/10/26 07:52:45
Cool GTX
Moving to OC & Cooling section of Forums

Home » All Forums » [Computer Hardware/Software] » Overclocking, Cooling and Benchmarking
2019/10/26 07:54:43
AHowes
Very nice.. but doing this mod looks like it will void warranty for the kingpin since you had to mod the cold plate. Unless somehow one can get an extra cold plate from evga.

Gona hurt to see the temps I bet! Obviously the GPU temp will be better I'm guessing.
2019/10/26 07:57:40
sparetimepc
AHowes
Very nice.. but doing this mod looks like it will void warranty for the kingpin since you had to mod the cold plate. Unless somehow one can get an extra cold plate from evga.

Gona hurt to see the temps I bet! Obviously the GPU temp will be better I'm guessing.

I didn't modify the cold plate, i didn't modify any of the original parts. I used the dremel tool to grind the shim to fit in the cold plate not the cold plate itself.
2019/10/26 07:58:49
AHowes
The EK-FC terminal work with this block? Seems the card is too tall and would block it unless there is an option to add it to that top of the delrin adapter ports.
2019/10/26 08:01:06
sparetimepc
AHowes
The EK-FC terminal work with this block? Seems the card is too tall and would block it unless there is an option to add it to that top of the delrin adapter ports.

It looks like it will work for these blocks but i might have to turn it upside down since the kingpin pcb is so wide and make the inlet from the side port which is usually outlet and the outlet from the down port which is usually the in port. 
2019/10/26 08:01:44
AHowes
Oh, ok.. hehe tuff to tell but see it now. Be more interesting to know now how much that shim effects the temps. Did ya use liquid metal for tim between the shim and cold plate?
2019/10/26 08:03:12
sparetimepc
AHowes
Oh, ok.. hehe tuff to tell but see it now. Be more interesting to know now how much that shim effects the temps. Did ya use liquid metal for tim between the shim and cold plate?

No i used the TF8 thermal paste. 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account