2019/12/03 10:54:17
rblaes_99
might want to update the information regarding new owners booting into bios with 10th Gen cpus.
2019/12/03 15:29:59
Avenger411
Or update all existing in-warehouse motherboards to 1.19.
2019/12/10 11:58:36
GTXJackBauer
Avenger411
Or update all existing in-warehouse motherboards to 1.19.

Are they not coming with the newest BIOS and how are we suppose to update the BIOS with a 10th gen CPU?  They send us a new flash chip or can we flash via USB w/out the CPU installed?
2019/12/10 13:02:09
Avenger411
Mine came with 1.07/1.08 can’t recall. So no couldn’t get past “dF” so no bios. The only way is to either wait for the bios chip they’ll send you once you figure out you can’t do anything without their help OR get an older gen 2066 cpu to get into bios so you can update it to 1.19 to boot 10th gen cpus. And no there is no usb flash without cpu with this board (my 7yo rampage v had it and it saved me a couple of times).

I’m still pissed about how all of this unfolded but in the end, our troubles (me and another fellow member) will most likely end up helping people.
2019/12/16 16:45:31
rblaes_99
I ended up having to RMA my brand new x299 dark because the little BIOS socket popped right off when EVGA sent me the replacement chip with 1.19 on it.  This has been a bit of a nightmare build for me so far.  That said, the RMA board came with 1.19 on it and I booted right into BIOS and I updated to 1.20 already.  Hard to believe the tear down, rebuild, tear down again, RMA, and now this weekend rebuild again all for a BIOS update when these were supposedly "ready for next gen".  That said, as always EVGA made it right as quickly as possible.  EVGA is the only reason I am not on an AMD machine right now.

couple of notes:

- The EVGA information sheet I received with the replacement BIOS chip mentioned an index triangle and a white dot on the BIOS chip to assist with orientation.  Neither are there in my case.  There is a tiny indented circle on the chip and it is the best way to make sure you have the BIOS inserted correctly.

- The BIOS socket is more fragile than I expected.  The BIOS hatch doors have a left side / right side that are tabbed and the one flap has to be opened first.  I think they should be numbered right on the hatch, but at least make sure you are careful and just use your fingernail when you try to open it.
2019/12/31 15:05:49
fvineyard
I agree with Avenger411 & rblaes. I have had my board since early October and waiting on the new CPU to be available, only to find out that the information is incorrect and that I cannot boot into BIOS and install the update from a USB flash drive. Plenty of time to request and receive a new BIOS chip if I had known I needed it. Now, unless I get extremely lucky, the new BIOS chip will not ship until January 7th, not to mention the hours spent trying to diagnose the dF post code that is listed as "Reserved for future use".

I like EVGA, and will continue to use their products, but this could have been handled better. I ordered the board from EVGA and expected the latest BIOS to be installed, or at least one that would allow me to boot and flash the update.

Everyone have a safe and happy New Years!

I did get lucky and it looks like my BIOS chip has shipped and will arrive on Monday January 6th. 

Thanks to EVGA for the effort to get this out before the holiday!!!
2020/01/05 14:47:05
CadetBuck
New build, X299 Dark purchased on sale end of November 2019 and just received i9-10900x cpu (starting assembly).
Read the forum comments and the earlier bios versions do not completely support the new Cascade Lake processors?
1) Can not locate current bios version for this MB printed anywhere on the board?
2) Possible to update Bios prior to loading windows? 
3) Can I load windows using the the i9-10900x without issues with MB then flash? 
4) Should I request new bios chip from customer service to version 1.20? 
Thank you for the guidance -
2020/01/06 05:18:45
HiLuckyB
CadetBuck
New build, X299 Dark purchased on sale end of November 2019 and just received i9-10900x cpu (starting assembly).
Read the forum comments and the earlier bios versions do not completely support the new Cascade Lake processors?
1) Can not locate current bios version for this MB printed anywhere on the board?
2) Possible to update Bios prior to loading windows? 
3) Can I load windows using the the i9-10900x without issues with MB then flash? 
4) Should I request new bios chip from customer service to version 1.20? 
Thank you for the guidance -

If your motherboard has too old of bios it will not boot with a 10,xxx cpu. You will have to wait for Evga to send you a new bios chip with a updated bios, Or you can try to find a older 7,xxx or 9,xxx cpu to boot so you can update the bios. Unfortunately there’s no way to know what bios you have until you try to boot the motherboard. It would of been nice if they put what bios it was flashed with somewhere.
2020/01/06 14:06:02
CadetBuck
Submitted a ticket about the 10900 cpu and service department said board should boot to bios and i can flash from there without loading windows (wonder if board serial number provides clue to them about bios version?) - they also offered the new bios chip like you said. Will give the flash a try after video card arrives.
Agreed, board should have the original bios version noted / printed on the the board.
Thank you!
2020/01/06 15:45:11
HiLuckyB
I got my 10980XE today, And i'm stuck with the DF post code. So I should be able to get a hold of a old 7,xxx CPU tomorrow, And hopefully get into the Bios for a update. I really don't want to wait for a Bios chip to come in the mail 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account