2019/11/08 09:31:41
EVGA_Lee
jasoncodispoti
Thanks for the update! I suspect that this is not a big priority for them since AVX-512 is not used often.

My understanding is that it's been root caused by Intel.  But no update from them for a fix.
2020/02/19 19:37:16
ZoranC
Was this ever resolved? If not when it will be?

I too ran into it today and this review http://tellitlikeitisnews.com/the-evga-x299-micro-motherboard-review-a-smaller-take-on-x299/ claims it is caused by BIOS default settings but goes away when overclocked (and benchmarks seem to confirm that).

My checks also seems to confirm this happens when using default frequency multiplier but goes away with manual settings (see this thread for details https://forums.evga.com/X299-Dark-CurrentEDP-limit-throttling-at-default-BIOS-120-settings-m3032687.aspx).
2020/02/20 09:38:13
EVGA_Lee
ZoranC

I too ran into it today and this review http://tellitlikeitisnews.com/the-evga-x299-micro-motherboard-review-a-smaller-take-on-x299/ claims it is caused by BIOS default settings but goes away when overclocked (and benchmarks seem to confirm that).

My checks also seems to confirm this happens when using default frequency multiplier but goes away with manual settings (see this thread for details https://forums.evga.com/X299-Dark-CurrentEDP-limit-throttling-at-default-BIOS-120-settings-m3032687.aspx).

First, that review is very outdated at this point, as there have been 13 BIOS updates (and two new CPU refreshes!) for the Micro since this review was posted.  The issue reported in this thread happens under three conditions, and all conditions must be active:
  • You must be using a Skylake-X CPU (possibly Kaby Lake-X) CPU
    • Cascade Lake-X CPUs do not exhibit this issue.
  • You must be using an override voltage
    • Using Auto and Adaptive/Offset voltages do not exhibit this issue.
  • You must be utilizing an AVX-512 load
The review referred more to "throttling" due to the default AVX options of the board, which is a different matter entirely.  Every overclock will have the same stage of overclock multiplier reduction depending on the AVX offset selected.  The issue reported in this thread is significant throttling more in line with temperature throttling; either way it's more of an artificial throttling caused by something introduced in a newer Intel microcode that happens only under those very specific scenarios.

The only solution to it is a custom BIOS that we created using older microcode.  Intel has not provided us with an updated microcode to resolve the issue.  As such, the only option right now is a BIOS I can send you based on the latest BIOS, but with an older microcode.  Because the microcode is older, it cannot be and has not been patched for any vulnerabilities discovered and patched by Intel since this issue was first reported in the thread.

Let me know if you want me to send you the BIOS, but those are the conditions under which the throttling occurs.  If you're experiencing something else, then I suggest you keep using the officially released BIOS.
2020/02/20 09:43:19
glocked89
hey jason! may I ask what your VCCIN is? or whatever it is showing in hwinfo.

also, could you check what VCCIN is during an avx-512 workload?
2020/02/20 15:46:51
ZoranC
EVGATech_LeeM
ZoranC

First, that review is very outdated at this point, as there have been 13 BIOS updates (and two new CPU refreshes!) for the Micro since this review was posted.  The issue reported in this thread happens under three conditions, and all conditions must be active:
The review referred more to "throttling" due to the default AVX options of the board, which is a different matter entirely.  Every overclock will have the same stage of overclock multiplier reduction depending on the AVX offset selected.  The issue reported in this thread is significant throttling more in line with temperature throttling; either way it's more of an artificial throttling caused by something introduced in a newer Intel microcode that happens only under those very specific scenarios.

The only solution to it is a custom BIOS that we created using older microcode.  Intel has not provided us with an updated microcode to resolve the issue.  As such, the only option right now is a BIOS I can send you based on the latest BIOS, but with an older microcode.  Because the microcode is older, it cannot be and has not been patched for any vulnerabilities discovered and patched by Intel since this issue was first reported in the thread.

Let me know if you want me to send you the BIOS, but those are the conditions under which the throttling occurs.  If you're experiencing something else, then I suggest you keep using the officially released BIOS.

I'm using X299 Dark with 1.20 BIOS, which is not latest but it is only one version behind.

I' m using Cascade Lake-X (i9-10900X)

When this issue occurs my CPU multiplier is on Auto and XTU reports my core voltage at boot is Adaptive. Thus I am not using override voltage, correct?

Which all indicates I should not be having this issue at all yet I am having it. And issue goes away moment I switch from Auto multiplier to manual.
2020/03/02 21:16:19
ZoranC
ZoranC
EVGATech_LeeM
ZoranC

I too ran into it today and this review http://tellitlikeitisnews.com/the-evga-x299-micro-motherboard-review-a-smaller-take-on-x299/ claims it is caused by BIOS default settings but goes away when overclocked (and benchmarks seem to confirm that).

My checks also seems to confirm this happens when using default frequency multiplier but goes away with manual settings (see this thread for details https://forums.evga.com/X299-Dark-CurrentEDP-limit-throttling-at-default-BIOS-120-settings-m3032687.aspx).

I'm using X299 Dark with 1.20 BIOS, which is not latest but it is only one version behind.

I' m using Cascade Lake-X (i9-10900X)

When this issue occurs my CPU multiplier is on Auto and XTU reports my core voltage at boot is Adaptive. Thus I am not using override voltage, correct?

Which all indicates I should not be having this issue at all yet I am having it. And issue goes away moment I switch from Auto multiplier to manual.

@EVGATech_LeeM Any idea why I am getting this issue even though my CPU is Cascade Lake-X and my voltages were on Auto?
2020/03/02 21:29:59
jasoncodispoti
I am not a MOD of anything, but for the sake of keeping things clean on the site and avoiding any confusion I would suggest creating a new thread for your current issue... Describe the issue that you are having and the conditions in which it occurs. 
2020/03/02 21:33:16
jasoncodispoti
glocked89
hey jason! may I ask what your VCCIN is? or whatever it is showing in hwinfo.

also, could you check what VCCIN is during an avx-512 workload?

I want to say 1.800v; My PC is currently disassembled as I moving it to a new case or else I would look.
2020/12/11 18:25:18
jasoncodispoti
For those that are following this, from what I can tell it appears that Intel has Microsoft pushing this microcode update out now... I am not sure which update is causing the issue or when they did it, but all BIOS versions even 1.17 and the BETA BIOS provided to me by EVGA that did not previously have the issue now have the problem. 

This kinda sucks... AMD? lol 
2020/12/11 18:31:28
ZoranC
jasoncodispoti
For those that are following this, from what I can tell it appears that Intel has Microsoft pushing this microcode update out now... I am not sure which update is causing the issue or when they did it, but all BIOS versions even 1.17 and the BETA BIOS provided to me by EVGA that did not previously have the issue now have the problem. 

I'm not in a position to test on my current system as that one is now used for daily work but I'm in process of building a second system I will be able to experiment with so if you tell me steps to reproduce it I will try to confirm am I seeing same.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account