2019/07/01 05:31:36
mokaphyyr
History: I received a friends computer for upgrade parts. One of the pieces was EVGA 980 Ti hybrid cooled card (manufacturer installed). I have had it has had several years of use now.

Current: The card idle's with a temp around the 50c. It is having trouble keeping below 80c (game FFXIV). I hear a popping sound from the pump working, not a fan due to testing each one in my system. Externally there is no clogging or dust build up. There is an oily looking spot around the GPU main processor on the back plate. I have attempted to look for conversion kits to return this card into air-cooled, but I find myself at a loss.

What are my options to help improve my situation and extend the usability of this card?
2019/07/01 09:03:43
bcavnaugh
Remove the GPU and Radiator from the Computer and take the Fan off the Radiator and Blow Out the Radiator.
Then under Hot Water Rinse the Radiator and try not to get the Tubes or GPU Wet.
Blow Out the Radiator real good from both sides.
Blow Out the Graphics Card real good from all sides.
Hold the Radiator above the GPU and shake the GPU to force any air in the Pump out.
Wipe the Fan down and install the fan back on the Radiator.
You may want to remove the Shroud and then the Pump to replace the Thermal Paste, some TF8 or TFX will do a great job and MX-4 will work as well.
Install the GPU back into your Computer and see how the Temperatures are.

"oily looking spot around the GPU main processor" is from the Thermal Pads and is normal, you can use 90% Isopropyl Alcohol to wipe down the Back Plate.

2019/07/01 10:56:11
mokaphyyr
I have done all the steps short of pulling the shroud off and replacing the thermal paste. @bcavnaugh would you recommend going as far as to replace/top off the AIO liquid?
2019/07/01 11:10:21
bcavnaugh
mokaphyyr
I have done all the steps short of pulling the shroud off and replacing the thermal paste. @bcavnaugh would you recommend going as far as to replace/top off the AIO liquid?

"replace/top off the AIO liquid" NO
Is the Radiator Warm/Hot or Cold, if Cold then the Pump is most likely dead.
Replacing the thermal paste would be the best thing to do with older Hybrid Cards with Working Pumps.
2019/07/01 21:32:47
EVGATech_DanielM
Please check the tubes to see if there is a vibration. We do not recommend replacing the coolant in the the unit itself as this is never needed to be refilled. 
2019/07/02 01:51:35
wmmills
Well, if your not covered under the warranty and the pump is dead then you can get a aftermarket AIO cooler setup from another brand or try and fit one of evgas current AIO's to that card, which theres no reason it shouldn't really work as far as I know plus you have all the mounting hardware you need from the current one you have. Your just replacing the core parts.
2019/07/06 06:54:21
mokaphyyr
bcavnaugh
Is the Radiator Warm/Hot or Cold, if Cold then the Pump is most likely dead.
Replacing the thermal paste would be the best thing to do with older Hybrid Cards with Working Pumps.

EVGATech_DanielM
Please check the tubes to see if there is a vibration. We do not recommend replacing the coolant in the the unit itself as this is never needed to be refilled. 

..::!! When running heavy !!::..
Rear exhaust is only mildly warm, the radiator is cool except where the liquid goes in. the return tube is cool. There is slight vibration in the tubes. The sound could also be a pump baring.
If this was not a gift, i would have this on air cooling.

Idle temp 35-40 degrees Celsius
I try to keep it under 80, around 75 (but that's with the fan setting to 100%)
2019/07/22 13:51:31
mokaphyyr
i must be doing something wrong, temps sitting now in the 60s C.
2019/07/24 13:05:44
mokaphyyr
I put one of these on there, fixed problems. idle 28c, load under 50c.
ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV
https://www.arctic.ac/us_en/ax4.html

i had to modify the sled for heat sink of the mosfts and ram. dont like the dremil things so much, but it worked.
2020/02/11 14:34:37
tyran4oks82
This should be handy for all hybrid cooled GPU users, not much information about that on the Web.
So, Im just finished servicing an AIO on my EVGA GTX TITAN X Hybrid 12G-P4-1999-KR
It was overheating to 83 degrees after a years, and it is back to 55-60 under stress testing now. 
I was looking to buy a new hybrid cooler, bracket, air cooler, tried push n pull, different positions of the radiator inside my tower... waste of time, save your money.
The solution is very easy and cheap.
All you have to do, unscrew a coldplate only, 8 nuts inside radius, dont touch the nuts on outside radius, they hold a mount plate and the whole block together.
Drain old coolant, fill, shake and rinse a radiator a couple times with a coolant, or you can even buy a special automotive coolant system cleaner, to make sure no more dirt is coming out.
Clean microchannels on cold plate with an old teethbrush, or anything you figure out, some acid might be handy. Lots of debree was there, plugged everything.
Fill radiator with a coolant ( Just keep a water block on top of the radiator, and shake a radiator to make sure air come out of radiator as much as possible while you filling) and screw everything back together.
At the end, dont forget to remove the plastic cover on top and dry electronic components inside with a hairdryer:)
Used the cheapest 50/50 automotive coolant from wallmart for 10$. Factory fill 100ml, I filled as much as possible, around 120-140ml i guess, everything works perfect.
Good luck guys :)

Attached Image(s)

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account