2019/02/13 15:16:27
felipy2k
Well i got the power link about 1 months ago!  Last weekend i was playing SQUAD online and the video went black, the system was running, i got sound, but no video! after several tries with the same result, i took out the power link, and the same problem happened!
plugged some new (pigtail) pci-e cable on my EVGA RTX 2080 XC gaming but in a different PSU (Corsair AX 760) conector and no more problem.

Tonight i decided to investigate the problem, well the first PCI-E cable that was in powe link was burned in to the PSU side.
My doubt is that Power link was the reason for this happend??? as i use the system in the same way for 4 years.
Even my last cards was mounted with the same pigtail pci-e cable.

Just to be sure till i decide put the power link back, im using 2 different pci-e cables (singles ones) for each pic-e connectors of VGA.
cause i dont know if was coincidence, after short time using the power link, or a PIGTAIL slit pci-e cable, wasnt enough to power the RTX 2080! 
2019/02/13 15:20:17
bcavnaugh
Maybe this could be why Corsair AX 760?
 And why I no longer use Corsair Power Supplies.

2019/02/13 15:34:32
felipy2k
same thing dude, look:

do you think that the problem is really the cables?  did you checked if the PSU connectors was dammaged? cause im about to buy some mulltimeter to check that!
Still very strange why power link ask to plug the both 8 pin but will only output 8+6 to the VGA !  4 years using the PSU and 1 month, maybe 5 days of using power link this happened!

2019/02/13 16:45:44
bcavnaugh
Yep!
Look inside the Connector on the Power Supply and I bet you have some melted Pins as well.
I would not use a Power Supply after this. 
So only One of the Two Cables look like this?
My Corsair PSU was only 3 Years Old.

Them RTX FTW3 Graphics Card Pull More Power then most think.
2019/02/13 18:03:56
felipy2k
just this one !  im still using and seems ok... im not using that plug though ! now i reaaly want to discover if was the power link somehow, or 1 cable with pigtails wasnt enought to the RTX 2080 as im using 2 separates cables right now and working fine!
2019/02/13 18:08:55
bcavnaugh
"1 cable with pigtails wasnt enought to the RTX 2080" This is Very True.
You need to use 2 PCIe Cables using One Connector from Each Cable.
2019/02/13 19:39:44
GGTV-Jon
bcavnaugh
"1 cable with pigtails wasnt enought to the RTX 2080" This is Very True.
You need to use 2 PCIe Cables using One Connector from Each Cable.

+1

If you were using a single pigtail from the PSU into a slitter to the power link then it was user error in cabling judgement - you should have used 2 cable directly from the PSU
If I am not correct the documentation for the GPU should have stated to use 2 pigtails = why they no longer supply a slitter with the cards
I have a power link on my 1080ti FTW3 - have seen it pull 300+ watts without any issues - have had it in my system for a good 8 months now
2019/02/14 06:05:43
felipy2k
but you guys mean that i got to use 2 cables because the power link or by VGA itself?  cause i used to set the configuration with one cable since my first built that demands power conector!  i was looking in the 2080 manual dont say nothing about it:
https://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/EVGA_Graphics_Manual_English_2019.pdf

take a look in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL7KIVI_hJg

2019/02/14 07:23:13
Cool GTX
Using two separate PCIe cables for Any performance GPU has been a "best practice" for years

The Power link did not "cause" the issue you are describing

Heat will concentrate where the resistance is highest in any electrical circuit, in this instance it appears the connection at the PSU was compromised.  This would most likely indicate either a loose fit or the PSU safety circuit for overload failed.

I would send the PSU to the Mfg for Testing as you would not want to damage any other part of your Rig
2019/02/14 09:06:35
felipy2k
thanks !  i just opened a ticket as the PSU is 7 years warranty!

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account