2019/01/08 14:46:15
chrisdglong
striker890
That really looks like it's going to outclass every internal soundcard on the market...
There are better DAC's out there.
2019/01/08 14:51:00
mattman657
You're definitely right for strictly DAC purposes but overall it's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison. This is meant for someone who has more needs than just a DAC. Not that it won't serve that well, but not a great comparison when putting it side by side with an external one strictly for home audio
2019/01/08 15:15:46
dustingg
I've been using the Sound Blaster Z for the past 6 years now. I really love this card and it's been working Flawlessly. I'm connecting via Toslink to a Yamaha receiver using the 5.1 surround sound via the Dolby Digital and DTS software built into creatives software panel.

My question is what kind of signal does the EVGA NU output via Toslink to a digital receiver? Dolby or DTS? PCM?
2019/01/08 16:27:46
MSim
bcavnaugh
MSim Can we get your approval here

Will have to wait and see.

I have Creative AE-5, hopefully some does a good review comparing EVGA NU AUDIO card vs Creative AE-5 card. I would like to see more information about EVGA NU AUDIO software for the card. You need both good hardware and software.

I'll take a stab at MSRP on EVGA NU AUDIO. My guess is $199 or higher.
2019/01/08 16:37:11
vxpulse
Would using a sound card take up less system resources than using a DAC over USB? I assume using USB audio would load the audio processing onto the CPU. Back in the day using a sound meant unloading the process from the CPU which was a perk. Or does it even matter anymore?
2019/01/08 16:46:05
OGM3X
Scout Mode or similar ? 
2019/01/08 17:36:50
mattman657
dustingg
I've been using the Sound Blaster Z for the past 6 years now. I really love this card and it's been working Flawlessly. I'm connecting via Toslink to a Yamaha receiver using the 5.1 surround sound via the Dolby Digital and DTS software built into creatives software panel.

My question is what kind of signal does the EVGA NU output via Toslink to a digital receiver? Dolby or DTS? PCM?

It SHOULD be able to output the same codec as the source unless the codec is too high of a bandwidth for the Optical connection. Toslink supports any stereo resolution up to 24bit/192khz PCM, does not support DSD stereo. It CAN output Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1. It does NOT support Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA or Dolby Atmos. Basically, any form of uncompressed 2 channel audio (other than DSD), and only compressed multichannel.

I would assume the software will have options to designate what your preferred output format is, but there is no sense of converting DD to DTS and vice versa.

vxpulse
Would using a sound card take up less system resources than using a DAC over USB? I assume using USB audio would load the audio processing onto the CPU. Back in the day using a sound meant unloading the process from the CPU which was a perk. Or does it even matter anymore?

Out of curiosity, does your external DAC have an Optical Toslink in? I personally like Optical over USB far more, Mobo Optical out to DAC Optical in. Have had much greater success over the years. Also, mot all USB DACs support 2 channel 24bit/192khz while pretty much all do over Toslink.
2019/01/08 18:56:09
Ravenmaster
Will the new EVGA sound card support any of the following? DTS Connect, DTS-X, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital Live, Dolby Atmos?
2019/01/08 19:01:14
cpagdog
How does this compare to my aging schiit stack? Using akg K712. Thanks been out of the audio loop for a long time
2019/01/08 19:03:54
gregboy83
Ravenmaster
Will the new EVGA sound card support any of the following? DTS Connect, DTS-X, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital Live, Dolby Atmos?

It doesn't have HDMI out. Quite sure HDMI is the only thing that can carry Dolby Atmos and DTS X. I've been waiting a long time for a sound card with this. I mentioned it to the guys with Creative at E3 a year or two ago, but no one is listening.  : /

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account