2018/11/21 22:59:50
widerworldweb
Hi,

I recently purchased a FTW3 Ultra and am waiting for it to be delivered. Does anyone know the thermal pad thickness? I am getting the best Fujipoly thermal pads I can.

Also if anyone has any more ideas on thermal improvements for the FTW3 Ultra that will let me keep using the cooler let me know please.

I originally wanted to get a lower end 2080 Ti and go crazy making my first Frankenstein graphics card, but then I saw FTW3 Ultra on sale and lower cost than the reference pcb 2080 Ti I was waiting for.

I already got Noctua thermal paste+Arctic clean thermal paste remover and surface prep, Arctic Accelero IV heatsink , 140mm fans, 50+ component heatsinks, and thermal tape for component heatsinks.

Right now I can only think of replacing thermal pads and paste.
2018/11/21 23:07:06
EVGA_JacobF
It depends on the thermal pad, there are various thicknesses across the card.
2018/11/21 23:15:03
widerworldweb
EVGA_JacobF
It depends on the thermal pad, there are various thicknesses across the card.

I am willing to buy all the sizes required. 0.5, 1, 1.5mm. I just would like not to buy unnecessary sizes :).
2018/11/22 02:40:26
scorpion73
EVGA_JacobF, if i wish to place thermal pads to make the front plate contact the heastink in memory areas, which thickness is to use? It seems that if you put a pad in this place memory temp decreases 10°C.
I suggest EVGA to take care of that because memory bank temp is really high in FTW3 as for upper and right bank.
If you can let me know i would appreciate. Thanks.
2018/11/23 22:32:43
widerworldweb
Is there a way to contact EVGA for the thermal pad information? I would like to be able to switch thermal paste+pads after a few days of testing the GPU is stable.
2018/11/24 01:00:07
widerworldweb
I have asked and hope they can provide. If not, not too bad. I will just have to open the GPU two different times. After they provide the info or I open it to find out, I will share the thermal pad thickness and dimensions info.

I got a 1080 Ti Kingpin but couldn't bring myself to frankenstein that since it came out this late, but now with 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra I want to try giving it a go! :). But I will keep the FTW3 Ultra cooler since it seems comparable or maybe even better than Arctic Accelero IV.

Thanks everyone!
2018/11/24 06:27:24
widerworldweb
Fast response! This is the response I got:

"Thanks for your questions. I don't have the exact details on the card, but they rarely use anything thicker than 1mm. You'd probably get along fine with a single sheet of that, maybe a small pack of .5mm if you feel the need. 

The thermal pads already installed are quite adequate, and shouldn't require replacement."

I have purchased 0.5mm, 1mm, and 1.5mm and will let you guys know the right mm for each part.
2018/11/26 17:49:04
mcgman80
i think you are wasting your time as power limit is going to be your problem not temps.  these cards run really cool in ftw3 form.  i can understand if you are trying to stay under 60 so you have full boost at all times but thats not gonna happen unless you watercool the card.
2018/11/26 17:55:46
widerworldweb
The FTW3 Ultra has really great performance from the reviews I have seen. 62 degree celsius with the OC mode fan profile.

Even if I don't get much return from modding, I am doing it for fun! I wanted to try making the coolest and quietest frankenstein 2080 Ti I could without water-cooled noise and moving parts, and maybe the FTW3 Ultra air-cooler is even quieter than the Arctic Accelero IV.

I also plan to put a case fan or two on top of the GPU (have GPU brace!) pulling heat away from the back heatsink. So I think it is quite achievable to push it down from that 62c in a review to 59c'ish. If not, that's fine, I will have a quiet 2080 Ti and that's more important to me than going below 60c.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account