2018/11/02 09:37:13
AlgernonX
Dear Admin, please pass this IMPORTANT recommendation to the software (or firmware) development team. I have an RTX 2080 Ultra, which I bought because of the promise of much more silent fans. Before buying it, I read various users complaining that they can often hear a clicking noise from the fans. I thought it'd be some unlucky users who got a slightly faulty fan. BUT I have the same problem (it's very annoying) and the reason is not faulty fans. Fans are turning off when the GPU temperature is below 55 degrees Celsius. That's a great feature, but the problem is that the software checks for the temperature very frequently and turns off the fans immediately once the temperature drops below 55 degrees. It just so happens that with a room temperature of about 22 degrees, during standard (non gaming) tasks my card's GPU seems to oscillate almost always between 54 and 55 degrees. So what happens is that the software turns off the fans at 54 degrees, half a second later the temperature is 55 degrees, fans turn on, then again half a second later the temperature is 54 degrees, fans turn off. And this creates a really annoying clicking noise, PLUS i wonder how long the fan engine life will be when you constantly turn the fans on and off. See the attached video. 

There is a VERY EASY solution to eliminate this problem: turn OFF the fans only when the temperature is below 55 degrees for AT LEAST 5 SECONDS. Turn the ON when the temperature is 55 degrees or more for AT LEAST 5 SECONDS. That way, you won't have any issue as the one described above, and you won't have any problem also with temperature control (5 seconds is not enough to overheat the GPU).

PLEASE do pass this suggestion as a CRITICAL one. It is an extremely annoying issue and although you may believe it's very rare, it just so happens that 54-55 degrees is the most common temperature for the GPU at standard room temperature levels (as I mentioned, many users complained about this issue on the web). I cannot attach a video to this post, but if you contact me by email i can send you a video of this issue happening regularly.

Thank you,

Giacomo
2018/11/02 09:58:00
Yes it is very annoying. i think this is something EVGA can fix only with a BIOS Update?
2018/11/02 10:32:11
ManiXyZ
EVGA can fix only with a BIOS Update?

yes

2018/11/02 11:33:01
Spyle
Yeah this really needs to be looked at. I have the same issue, they constantly turn off and on when not in use. Spinning up for half a second just to run back off seems pointless. click click click.... click click click.... 

I just set a custom fan curve for now
2018/11/03 15:10:40
somethingc00l
The word for this is called hysteresis and you are correct this would be a good change.

However, your GPU should not be idling that hot, something is likely keeping your GPU idle clock high. Use GPU-Z to see what the idle frequency is, should be like 300 MHz or so. If it's higher you need to find the culprit (most often you have set the card to max performance in the NV control panel). Doing a driver reinstall with DDU is often the easiest way to fix.
2018/11/03 20:47:28
GTXJackBauer
Also check Task Manager to see if there's a background program unnecessarily putting load on the GPU.  
2018/11/03 23:07:06
gazzaspins
Just wanna chime in on this too, my new 2080 is currently Idling at 54-55 and I'm hearing the fans constantly spin up and down which in my quiet room is driving me crazy!

GPU is sitting at 300mhz and 405mhz Mem clock

I installed precision to try and change the curve but it wont actually apply the curve I setup or even the default curves, the fan slider also just drags the entire precision window around which from using it in the past isn't what its supposed to do. 

2018/11/04 04:41:15
GTXJackBauer
Also check Task Manager to see if there's a background program unnecessarily putting load on the GPU.  

new installed windows 10 here. idle temps at 55-56. fans constantly spin up (with click/rattling) then turn off a second later.

@EVGA: Can one of you guys forward this to the dev team or can somebody confirm this is a thing that is beeing worked on or ill have to return my card :(
2018/11/04 06:28:38
Sixtus23
EVGA does have a youtube channel.
I would strongly suggest watching "Ask EVGA".
If they do not address an issue feel free to comment in here to get a propper discourse going.:
Ask EVGA - Episode 13  
3:43 – Fan clicking on RTX cards?

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account