2018/08/23 17:44:15
EVGA_Lee
Hi everyone,

Here's a relatively simple guide for understanding the changes to the warranty for original owners and secondhand owners.  Most people by now have heard that a proof of purchase is now needed for secondhand warranties if the product falls under our new warranty.  This warranty came into effect on May 25th, 2018.  This will be covered, but we may as well discuss everything that's needed for both original and secondhand owners for EVGA products.

Here's the obligatory link to the EVGA Warranty section: https://www.evga.com/warranty/

First, there are two types of dates you need to understand for the warranty:
  • Purchase date - This is the date that the original owner purchased the product from EVGA.com or an authorized reseller.  This is important for the original owner only.  When the original owner registers a product, the purchase date is the correct date to use and is the date upon which the warranty begins.  This date will eventually need to be verified by a proof of purchase.
  • Shipping date - This is the date that the product originally shipped from EVGA directly to a customer or to an authorized reseller.  When a secondhand owner registers a product, the shipping date will be used to determine the beginning and end of the warranty period.  Depending upon the original ship date, a proof of purchase may be needed by the secondhand owner.
Second, the product's purchase or shipping date will determine which warranty terms apply.  If the product was purchased or shipped before May 25th, 2018, then the older warranty terms apply.  If the product was purchased or shipped on or after May 25th, 2018, then the new warranty terms apply. 
  • Old Warranty - Products purchased or shipped before May 25th, 2018:
    • Original Owners - Original owners need to submit a valid proof of purchase to verify that they are the original owner and to establish the purchase date, or when the warranty period begins.
      • Other reasons to upload a proof of purchase -
        Spoiler
        • Step-Up (if available for your product or region)
        • Extended Warranty (if available for your product or region)
        • EAR or Cross-ship RMA options (if available for your product or region)
        • Promotions
        • Affiliate Reward codes (proof of purchase required for approval)
        close
    • Exception - A proof of purchase does not need to be uploaded if the product was purchased on EVGA.com from your account
  • Secondhand Owners - No proof of purchase necessary if the product shipped from EVGA before May 25th, 2018

• New/Current Warranty - Products purchased or shipped on or after May 25th, 2018:
    • Original Owners - Original owners need to submit a valid proof of purchase to verify that they are the original owner and to establish the purchase date, or when the warranty period begins.
      • Other reasons to upload a proof of purchase -
        Spoiler
        • Step-Up (if available for your product or region)
        • Extended Warranty (if available for your product or region)
        • EAR or Cross-ship RMA options (if available for your product or region)
        • Promotions
        • Affiliate Reward codes (proof of purchase required for approval)
        close
    • Exception - A proof of purchase does not need to be uploaded if the product was purchased on EVGA.com from your account
  • Secondhand Owners - Secondhand owners of a product shipped from EVGA on or after May 25th, 2018 must provide a proof of purchase of the sale from the previous owner to you, the current owner.
Third, if a proof of purchase is needed, what do original owners or secondhand owners need to provide?

We have a helpful FAQ to explain how to acquire and upload your proof of purchase here:https://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=58652.  There are other types of proof of purchase that will be accepted.  Similarly, you may need to scan or take a photo of your proof of purchase, if you only have a physical copy.  If you are unable to provide these types of a proof of purchase, please contact our Customer Service to see what other options may be available.
  • Original owners:
    • Original owners must provide a proof of purchase regardless of when the product was purchased.
      • The exception to the rule is if the original owner purchased the product from EVGA.com from the original owner's EVGA.com account.  Please remember to register the product, however.
    • Original owners should be able to provide the proof of purchase from the authorized reseller.  In most cases, a screenshot, PDF, or Windows XPS version from the reseller should be acceptable.  As noted above, a scanned or photograph of the proof of purchase should be sufficient.  Again, beyond the most common types of proof of purchases provided to us, there may be other options for an original owner to provide a proof of purchase.
  • Secondhand owners
    • Secondhand owners are required to provide a proof of purchase if the product was shipped from EVGA on or after May 25th, 2018.  If the product shipped from EVGA prior to May 25th, 2018, no proof of purchase is required.
    • Secondhand owners should provide a proof of purchase showing the sale between the current owner (i.e. YOU) and previous owner (i.e. the person selling the card).  This may be as simple as a screenshot of a PayPal invoice, Venmo invoice, Amazon Payments invoice, Ebay invoice, etc.  It is understood that sometimes sales are not done online, so another means of showing the sale, even if it's made for the purpose of this proof of purchase, is acceptable. 
    • Secondhand owners should not provide the original owner's proof of purchase from an authorized reseller, or the proof of purchase between previous owners of the card.
    • If you have any questions about what type of proof of purchase is needed, please contact our Customer Service.
FAQ

Q. I want to register my product, but I don't have a proof of purchase.
Spoiler

A. First of all, that was a statement, not a question.  However, a proof of purchase is never required for registration.  We encourage you to upload your proof of purchase after registering your product, but you can register your product without a proof of purchase.
close

Q. I bought this EVGA product secondhand. What should I do when I register it?
Spoiler

A. First, go to https://www.evga.com/support/register.asp.
  1. Enter the serial number and the part number.
  2. Select eBayCraigslist, or Secondhand as place of purchase options.  
  3. Enter the shipping date as the date of purchase. If you don't know the date the product shipped from EVGA, use the date when you purchased the product from the previous owner. The registration system will view the shipping date as the beginning of your warranty, which you can see on the View Details page for your registered product.
  4. Enter an Affiliate Rewards code (optional, but if you do enter a code, please make sure to upload a copy of your proof of purchase promptly)
close
Q. I registered my secondhand EVGA product, but why does it give me options for Step-Up, Extended Warranty, EAR, and other features that original owners are eligible for?
Spoiler

A. Most likely, you selected an EVGA Authorized Reseller as your place of purchase when you registered the product. Please contact EVGA Customer Service to update your place of purchase.
close

Q. I want to purchase a used EVGA product. How can I tell if it was shipped from EVGA before the warranty changed on May 25th, 2018?
Spoiler

A. First, you need to know the serial number of the EVGA product, which you may need to request from the seller. If you need help finding the serial number, please look at our registration page at https://www.evga.com/support/register.asp for examples. Once you have the serial number, please contact EVGA Customer Service and they will be happy to look up the serial number and tell you the warranty status.
close

Q. I purchased my EVGA graphics card from a friend last year. Does this mean I need a proof of purchase?
Spoiler

A. First, you need to confirm when the product shipped from EVGA, as noted in the above FAQ. If shipped before May 25th, 2018, then no proof of purchase is required.
close

Q. I bought my EVGA graphics card from the original owner who said he bought the EVGA product after May 25th, 2018, but the product's shipping date is before May 25th, 2018.  Which warranty applies to my product?
Spoiler

A. Because you are the secondhand owner, your warranty begins at the shipping date.  Since, in this case, your ship date is prior to the beginning of the new warranty, you will follow the warranty terms for products purchased/shipped prior to May 25th, 2018.
close

Q. I bought my card secondhand, but the original owner never registered the product and is willing to give me his original proof of purchase.  If I register the product and upload the proof of purchase, will I be considered the original owner?
Spoiler

A. No.  There can only be one (original owner).
close

Q. I bought my -RX product secondhand, but it says it cannot find my warranty information or it says there is no warranty.
Spoiler

A. Unfortunately, -RX products and certain other products do not quality for a secondhand warranty. Please review the EVGA Warranty information for your product at https://www.evga.com/warranty/.
close

Q. My product is not registered.  How can I tell how much time is left on my warranty?
Spoiler

A. If it's not registered, you can check the warranty with a valid EVGA serial number at https://www.evga.com/warranty/check.asp.  Alternatively, register your product and see the next question.
close

Q. My product is registered.  How can I tell how much time is left on my warranty?
Spoiler

A. I'm glad you asked!  We've recently added the time left for both original owners and second hand owners.
  1. First, go to your My Products page:  https://www.evga.com/community/myProducts.asp
  2. Locate the product you want to review and click "View Details".
For original owners, you'll see details similar to this:

• For original owners:  Note that your warranty is based on the purchase date that you enter.  If the information is incorrect, then the days left will be incorrect.  Please contact one of our Customer Service representatives to assist.  A proof of purchase may be required to verify any changes to this information.
For secondhand owners, you'll see slightly different information:

• For secondhand owners:  Note that the days left status is based on the shipping date from EVGA.  For this example, the product was "shipped" on March 1, 2018.  It has a 3 year warranty that began on 3/1/18, not the date of purchase that was entered.  Regardless of the purchase date entered, the system will pull from the date that the product left the EVGA warehouse. 
  • If you are an original owner and you see this message, then you likely entered the wrong place of purchase, or there may be an issue with your serial number.  In either case, please contact one of our Customer Service representatives to assist.  A proof of purchase may be required to verify any changes to this information.
close
 Hopefully, this clears up any confusion over this matter.  If you have other questions, please ask them below and I'll consider adding them to the FAQ.

Attached Image(s)

2018/08/24 11:43:44
Cool GTX
  Thanks Lee
2018/08/26 18:23:07
XrayMan

Good thread. Very informative.   
2018/08/27 00:19:51
MSim
It was posted!
2018/08/27 06:51:30
scgt1
What if a card is purchased as a gift for someone? Does the purchaser need to register the card even though they are never going to remove it from the box?
2018/08/27 11:37:59
EVGA_Lee
scgt1
What if a card is purchased as a gift for someone? Does the purchaser need to register the card even though they are never going to remove it from the box?

In these sorts of cases, it's best to discuss directly with EVGA Customer Service.  They can normally work with people in these situations, but there's also the potential for fraud, so it's best to simply discuss with the techs to register the product properly and to determine if any supporting documentation is needed.
2018/09/05 02:04:07
CDavison
I found a thread online that said EVGA offers a pay-for-repair service on their cards if out of warranty, is that still available? I purchased an unregistered card secondhand and it died shortly after...
2018/09/05 05:08:35
the_Scarlet_one
CDavison
I found a thread online that said EVGA offers a pay-for-repair service on their cards if out of warranty, is that still available? I purchased an unregistered card secondhand and it died shortly after...

I think EVGA stopped the pay for repair service a while back.
2018/09/05 09:40:55
EVGATech_DavidR
CDavison

As Scarlet stated, we stopped offering out of warranty repair service a while ago, as in many cases it was more costly to repair (if a repair was even possible) than it was to purchase a new product. No only that, but in most cases of an out of warranty item, the components necessary for repairs may no longer be available. If there is something repairable on a product, in most cases, a local electronics repair shop would be your best option.
2018/11/11 06:55:21
Smooth_Miner
Is this US policy or applies to EU (and UK considering Brexit) as well? Thx

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account