• Overclocking Lab
  • [Guide] How to force max voltage & curve overclock with msi afterburner (p.17)
2019/05/08 13:55:56
Globespy
At the end of the day Afterburner's voltage curve is cool, but essentially quite useless unless there's a way to stop Nvidia Boost 3.0/4.0 from doing what it likes.
You can spend hours moving those little dots and save what you think is the perfect voltage curve, but next time you start the curve will not look anything like what you spent hours setting up.
The curve will look the same when you press the profile you saved it to in Afterburner, but when you hit that 'apply' button, all bets are off.

It doesn't matter whether you set the curve under idle temps or full load temps, Nvidia Boost will do what it likes!
If you set the curve at idle temps, then Boost will push your clock way higher than you supposedly set in your voltage curve max clock speed, and this can cause instability in gaming.
If you set the curve at full load temps, it will mess with things once again, and you will end up with a lower clock speed.

Save yourself a bunch of time and stick to the sliders.
Start with resetting everything in Afterburner and run Aida64 or whatever GPU stress test you like - for me Realbench is the most realistic in terms of replicating actual gaming loads across the entire system.
See what your GPU does running at stock, as that will give you a good idea what it 'likes'. 
Lower your fan speed in Afterburner so that you can hover around the 65C mark, which for Pascal seems to be about the highest it will go assuming you have good cooling.
Then increase your clock/memory until you find it stable and save to a profile.
Then max your fan speed using the fan curve in Afterburner.

There will be many who will say the voltage curve somehow magically creates more stable overclocks, but unless you have a custom BIOS with power limits removed and higher voltages allowed, it's really a waste of time. I expect to be flamed, but I challenge anyone to prove that Afterburner's voltage curve can be locked and static to what a user set on a stock Nvidia FW, and it never changed or was ignored by Nvidia Boost.

I've spent countless hours across Pascal and Turing cards and Nvidia's Boost 3.0/4.0 has a mind of it's own.
2019/05/13 23:52:18
TwoEvilOne
great guide on AB
2019/05/14 11:33:18
Sajin
Thanks.
2019/06/12 14:02:54
FROSTYBE3R
This is a good way to damage your card.
2019/06/12 15:01:36
fleptronic
FROSTYBE3R
This is a good way to damage your card.

2019/06/26 07:44:49
pimphard
@fleptronic I see on your sig that you have 2175/8250 with your kraken. Mind if I ask you your +core clock and voltage you have. I too have the same kraken setup, only thing is I have the 2080 XC Black Edition.
2019/06/26 14:24:44
fleptronic
pimphard
@fleptronic I see on your sig that you have 2175/8250 with your kraken. Mind if I ask you your +core clock and voltage you have. I too have the same kraken setup, only thing is I have the 2080 XC Black Edition.

Hi
I don't use +core, I use curve mode following this guide. Giving you my curve wont help, it's something you need to find out on your card.

I use 1.087mv when OC is enabled.
2019/06/26 15:19:20
pimphard
fleptronic
pimphard

Hi
I don't use +core, I use curve mode following this guide. Giving you my curve wont help, it's something you need to find out on your card.

I use 1.087mv when OC is enabled.

Thx for the response, I really didn`t need the curve because I know it`s kinda a hit and miss thing. I was curious as to what was the voltage you had. Since we both have the same kraken setup
2019/06/26 16:59:27
fleptronic
pimphard
Thx for the response, I really didn`t need the curve because I know it`s kinda a hit and miss thing. I was curious as to what was the voltage you had. Since we both have the same kraken setup

I don't consider using curve a hit or miss.
For me it was really hard to master and find the correct spot, but when you do it, it will absolutely give you more overclock than using +core.

Of course is only worth for crazy ones that must squeeze the absolute max out of the cards 
2019/06/26 17:11:27
pimphard
fleptronic
pimphard

I don't consider using curve a hit or miss.
For me it was really hard to master and find the correct spot, but when you do it, it will absolutely give you more overclock than using +core.

Of course is only worth for crazy ones that must squeeze the absolute max out of the cards 

Yeah I`ve been playing with this for quite a while and finding that sweet spot is a task. With the 1.087v do you go over 55c in temps

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account