2017/10/31 20:33:46
CSN7
It has been discovered that applications polling gpu-power via nvapi are causing an overall delay visible as stuttering. Those applications include EVGA XOC among others (AIDA64, HWinfo, GPU-Z, MSI-A, etc.).

For those of you that are affected, the simple solution for now is to disable monitoring of the gpu power reading. This is where it's located in XOC:

Hope it helps!
2017/10/31 21:22:40
AHowes
Awesome news!
2017/10/31 22:39:08
Sajin
Glad I don't run any monitoring software when I game. No need to monitor a perfectly working system.
2017/11/01 03:40:38
PietroBR
Sajin
Glad I don't run any monitoring software when I game. No need to monitor a perfectly working system.

I'm getting used on not using the OSD in Wildlands as well.
I know the fan curve and the card itself will run fine either way (but sometimes I just like to keep my eye on the numbers )
2017/11/01 10:40:44
Gawg36
Wow, great post! I often use HWINFO 64 in the background when gaming, and always when benching. I thought it was just me but that program isn't working as it should after many years of goodness.
Didn't even suspect the driver, but the timeline matches exactly. Thanks!!

No more monitoring for me!
2017/11/01 11:00:47
Cool GTX
Thanks for the heads-up 
2017/11/01 11:46:54
bdogg454
I will check this when i get home. when destiny 2 first came out, everything was butter. No tearing, ran perfect, It still runs great now, but some minor vertical tearing started showing up here in the past few days or so. 

I have v-sync on and using a G-sync monitor, so no tearing should be present.
2017/11/01 11:52:23
AHowes
bdogg454
I will check this when i get home. when destiny 2 first came out, everything was butter. No tearing, ran perfect, It still runs great now, but some minor vertical tearing started showing up here in the past few days or so. 

You sure you should have v-sync also on when using g-sync?

V-sync attempts to sync your monitor's graphics card with the current refresh rate of the monitor. This means it would try to update the frame every 0.00694 seconds, or 7 ms, instead of when the graphics card is finished rendering. This causes input lag, and if you're running much lower than the monitor's refresh rate, stuttering.

If you are using a GeForce card with G-SYNC it literally makes V-Sync pointless, there's no reason to have it on so long as you're using G-Sync, as G-Sync does V-sync's job but better. It makes the panel update *as soon* as the card has a new frame, not when the monitor refreshes. This eliminates screen tearing entirely, which is the only reason V-Sync exists, and (most of the time) stuttering.

You want VSYNC set to OFF if you are going to be using GSync, period. There's no reason to use both at the same time.
2017/11/01 13:07:59
Sajin
AHowes
bdogg454

You sure you should have v-sync also on when using g-sync?

V-sync attempts to sync your monitor's graphics card with the current refresh rate of the monitor. This means it would try to update the frame every 0.00694 seconds, or 7 ms, instead of when the graphics card is finished rendering. This causes input lag, and if you're running much lower than the monitor's refresh rate, stuttering.

If you are using a GeForce card with G-SYNC it literally makes V-Sync pointless, there's no reason to have it on so long as you're using G-Sync, as G-Sync does V-sync's job but better. It makes the panel update *as soon* as the card has a new frame, not when the monitor refreshes. This eliminates screen tearing entirely, which is the only reason V-Sync exists, and (most of the time) stuttering.

You want VSYNC set to OFF if you are going to be using GSync, period. There's no reason to use both at the same time.

Yes it should be on.

Optimal G-SYNC Settings*

*Settings tested with a single G-SYNC display on a single desktop GPU system; specific DSR, SLI, and multi-monitor behaviors, as well as laptop G-SYNC implementation, may vary.
Nvidia Control Panel Settings:
  • Set up G-SYNC > Enable G-SYNC > Enable G-SYNC for full screen mode.
  • Manage 3D settings > Vertical sync > On.
In-game Settings:
  • Use “Fullscreen” or “Exclusive Fullscreen” mode (some games do not offer this option, or label borderless windowed as fullscreen).
  • Disable all available “Vertical Sync,” “V-SYNC” and “Triple Buffering” options.
  • If an in-game or config file FPS limiter is available, and framerate exceeds refresh rate:
    Set 3 FPS limit below display’s maximum refresh rate (57 FPS @60Hz, 97 FPS @100Hz, 117 FPS @120Hz, 141 FPS @144Hz, etc).
RTSS Settings:
  • If an in-game or config file FPS limiter is not available and framerate exceeds refresh rate:
    Set 3 FPS limit below display’s maximum refresh rate (see G-SYNC 101: External FPS Limiters HOWTO).

Source: https://www.blurbusters.c...nc/gsync101-input-lag/
2017/11/01 13:21:23
AHowes
Turn global v-sync on in the nvidia control panel and off in the game menu? Don't even make sense.. like contradicts each other. Seems it would lead to confusion.

If that's the way it should be for g-sync to work then nvidia should automatically turn v-sync on in the control panel and have it greyed out. And inform users to turn off v-sync in games.

I've always had it off in nvidia control panel and off in the game. Have not used the 27" Asus g-sync monitor for months now after buying a 4k monitor.. wonder if g-sync has ever worked right? Though the light on the monitor always showed g-sync engaged.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account