2017/07/11 10:28:35
Valtrius Malleus
You can see the card is hitting the power limit at 117%, as you say. Its in the bottom right of the image in the first post.

Try this: Create a txt file and put this in it:

@ECHO
start cmd.exe /k "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI\nvidia-smi.exe" -pl 355

Then change the .txt file to .bat and run it. See if that helps.
2017/07/11 10:36:04
Wreck3r
Thanks for posting the article. I read it when it was released, and refreshed the GPU Boost 3.0 now.

What the article says, besides the granular ability in changing the frequency at each voltage mark, it also mentions the dynamic down clocking in comparison to the older cards. From what I've seen Pascal starts lowering the clocks at around 55C. This is not my case fortunately.

Regarding folding. What you are seeing is normal "gaming usage" which usually does not push the card to it's power limit. Also, regarding the voltage, the limit is 1093mV. I suspect you only see 1081mV because of how the default curve is set up. You have the same resulting frequency at both 1081 and at 1093. Boost 3.0 will only go to 1081 because it's the same frequency. If you want more voltage, raise the curve at 1093 by one tick (try Afterburner as it can raise the frequency properly, not in 25Mhz steps as Precision XOC). If the card is not limited in any way (temps, power) you will see 1093mV.
2017/07/11 10:47:19
Wreck3r
Valtrius Malleus
You can see the card is hitting the power limit at 117%, as you say. Its in the bottom right of the image in the first post.

Try this: Create a txt file and put this in it:

@ECHO
start cmd.exe /k "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI\nvidia-smi.exe" -pl 355

Then change the .txt file to .bat and run it. See if that helps.

Hi Valtrius,

Funny thing: "Power limit for GPU 00000000:01:00.0 was set to 355.00 W from 355.60 W."

Unfortunately, still no change:

2017/07/11 11:11:42
Valtrius Malleus
Hmm. 355W is 127% of the 280W standard with the 1080Ti FTW3.

Try:
  1. Uninstalling Precision/Afterburner.
  2. Shutting down PC.
  3. Unplugging it from the wall.
  4. Changing the switch to slave, if not already on slave BIOS.
  5. Hold the power button on the case/mobo for a few seconds.
  6. plug it back in and boot up.
  7. Install Precision/Afterburner.

You could first try steps 1 & 7 and then if it doesn't work, then shut the PC down. A few other users were experiencing the same issue but rebooting a few times allowed the slave BIOS to kick in.

2017/07/11 11:28:34
Wreck3r
From what I gather, the slave BIOS is activated. This is confirmed by the version of the BIOS read by gpuz 86.02.39.01.90 (86.02.39.00.90 is the master) and by the fact that Precision xoc and afterburner lets me move the power slider all the way to 127%.

I will go through all those steps one more time switching to primary and again switching to slave and report back.
2017/07/11 12:00:34
Cool GTX
When another member had questions about the FTW3 power usage ....... from a different thread 

Sajin made a suggestion https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2693313

Sajin
Run the 8k optimized preset in superposition. I'm sure you'll get close to the 127% then. 

2017/07/11 13:59:46
kwkrnu72
Wreck3r
Come on with the Furmark thing. It emphasizes exactly what I'm saying. The card goes into Power Limit mode at 117% not 127%. If it were at 101,105,110 or anything other then 117%, I would have ignored it and blame it on the "Furmark Ban thing". But have confirmed this with both Time Spy and Superposition, albeit the toll on maximum boost is smaller than Furmark.

Also, the slave bios is loaded. It is confirmed by both Precision and GPUz looking at the BIOS version (i have mentioned this in the OP). 

I have uninstalled Precision for testing sake and also went with Afterburner because the voltage/frequency curve is more granular than Precision, which increments frequency by 25MHz (don't understand why when the GPU clock increments in 13Mhz if I'm not mistaken).

I'm keeping the card as you can imagine. I said this from the start. Or were you being sarcastic?

Guys, if you don't want to read, or don't care about benching scores and only gaming, please stop posting. it's not helping as is the support tech that has my case.

YES, I want to see this card power limit at 127%. 

PS: The linked images are clear enough. Anyway, they show a slight dip in frequency (~2080) and Power Limit at 116%.

Run FS ultra or Superposition 4k with the GPUz sensors tab open.  Crank up the clocks as high as possible, and post a screenshot of the GPUz sensors tab.  If you're seeing green, or "PWR" in the PerfCap Reason line, then you have a legitimate ****, gripe or complaint.  If you're NOT hitting the power limit, then the % of power the software is telling you the card is running at means exactly nothing.

Also, a screenshot of your voltage / frequency curve would help.
2017/07/11 14:16:25
Wreck3r
I redid the steps suggested but I get the same behavior.
Ran 8k same thing, with some spikes at 123%.

@kwkrnu72: I wouldn't have bothered opening this thread and documenting this behavior if I didn't do my homework. I do this all the time at least out of respect for you guys that take your time to read the forums.

Anyway, as requested:

@1093 mV the frequency is set at 2100MHz.
2017/07/11 14:24:39
kwkrnu72
Hmm....with the frequency set at 2100 @ 1.093v, I would think it'd try to run there...or should.  

I also wouldn't think it'd be hitting the power limit already at 1.075v...or certainly shouldn't.  Not if it was actually bumping the power limit up to 320+ watts.  

I'd either ask EVGA for a copy of the slave bios with the increased power limits, or RMA it.  You're correct.  It's not operating as intended.
2017/07/11 14:35:32
arestavo
kwkrnu72
Hmm....with the frequency set at 2100 @ 1.093v, I would think it'd try to run there...or should.  

I also wouldn't think it'd be hitting the power limit already at 1.075v...or certainly shouldn't.  Not if it was actually bumping the power limit up to 320+ watts.  

I'd either ask EVGA for a copy of the slave bios with the increased power limits, or RMA it.  You're correct.  It's not operating as intended.

And chance getting a card that overclocks way less?

To that I say: NUTS!

Then again, some people can't stand things not working the way they expect them to - even if they are working better than the majority of the run. 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account