2017/08/02 18:54:28
Quad5Ny
akteni
In the 1070/1080 FTW hybrid kit, stock rad fan is not controllable. I can not even see RPM with corsair commander mini. Does this guide overcome this issue? Or is it just rubbish temp controlled fan?

TLDR for guide: Connecting the radiator fan to a motherboard fan header which allows Speedfan to read the temperature off the GPU and adjust the fan speed based on the temperature curve you set.

When connected to a MB fan header it's speed should detected by crapton of programs (needs to be 3/4-pin fan). -- So yeah, you can overcome the issue but it depends on what your definition of "overcome" is.

Notwist
Got a quick question to throw in here since I literally cannot find an answer anywhere else on the internet:

I have an Asus motherboard with the Asus Fan Extension card connected. Have others have luck with getting the fan extension card fans to show up in SpeedFan? Figure this question might help some users, and I don't see them appearing at all for me.

I didn't even know that existed.  Try searching for or submitting a new issue on Speedfans bug tracker.  The developer is active and assuming you're willing to provide him debug info, he might actually be able to add support for it.
2017/08/20 04:00:43
tolagarf
Thank for you for such a great guide! I will be sure to make use of this when my Hybrid card arrives soon :)

One question though: I guess there is no way to have ASUS AI Suite software running at the same time as SpeedFan then? I know I can disable PWM control for each individual fan connector on the motherboard within the BIOS, but I guess this would prevent SpeedFan to work with it properly as well?
2017/08/22 16:07:16
Quad5Ny
tolagarf
...I guess there is no way to have ASUS AI Suite software running at the same time as SpeedFan then? I know I can disable PWM control for each individual fan connector on the motherboard within the BIOS, but I guess this would prevent SpeedFan to work with it properly as well?

You don't have to touch anything in the UEFI or BIOS.  Speedfan overrides the settings while it is running and when you shutdown, reboot, disable Speedfan or uninstall Speedfan it will go back to normal.

It might be possible to use both but the only way I could see it working is if AI Suite's doesn't touch (adjust) the radiator fan at all.  Why not adjust your fan settings in the UEFI/BIOS and disable AI Suite's fan control?  Most ASUS boards from Z77 onwards have some pretty decent fan control (with current gen boards offering full fan curve adjustment).

Anyway to sum it up; Having two pieces of software fighting over controlling a single fan probably won't end well.  Do you really want your GPU overheating during a game or while you're away?

P.S. The latest EVGA hybrid cards might have built-in control for the radiator fan.  At least that is what the product pages imply (see below).

2017/08/23 16:10:49
JosephL
Nice post! I might give this a shot at home when I have some free time and post my results.

Now I just need some free time...
2017/08/25 14:24:28
Quad5Ny
EVGATech_JosephL
Nice post! I might give this a shot at home when I have some free time and post my results.

Now I just need some free time...

I never expected this to be pinned, it was more of advanced user guide.  So at some point I need to noob-proof the thing, it has way too much info.

On the plus side it works through Windows and Driver updates without any issues.
2017/09/04 22:58:36
Capt. Kangaroo
Since you seem to know what you are talking about I have a question
Once our warranty has run out.., and the pump dies.., is it possible to retro fit a new fan/cooler to the Hybrid card??
I know we're talking about 3 years warranty.., but 3 years goes quick and I don't think I will financially be able to buy a new GPU every 3 or 4 years..., you have to sell your first born here in Australia to get a high end anything (GPU,CPU,RAM, etc, etc)
(My current PC is about 8 years old (FX 8350.., HD 7870 in Crossfire) and has been/still is, a very good PC. The first game that has given me any trouble was Ghost Recon Wildlands).
Time to upgrade, but I need to be smart about it. Kids are wanting VR.., hence the top card.

Cheers  Capt. Kangaroo
2017/10/13 17:11:00
elokos
I made a thread about this but noone has answered yet.  DO I have to place the radiator above the graphics card?  I have a corsair 760t and the bottom case fan mount is the only 120mm so I was going to mount it there but in the box for my 1080ti sc hybrid it says to place it above the gpu which would mean the back of my case but I just bought a bunch of corsair white led ML fans and If I mount it on the back Ill be stuck with an extra 140mm and missing a 120mm...  Any advice would be appreciated.  Does anyone here mount their radiator for their hybrid on the bottom?
2017/10/15 05:22:46
ty_ger07
I used NSSM to increase the power limit of my video card at every boot instead of using Precision or Afterburner.  I avoid overclocking software unless absolutely necessary; especially the buggy mess Precision has become.  You were my inspiration.

In NSSM:

Path: C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI\nvidia-smi.exe
Startup Directory: C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI
Arguments: -pl 217
Dependencies: NVDisplay.ContainerLocalSystem

Sets my GTX 1080 from 180w power limit to 217w power limit at every boot.

EDIT:  And by use of nvoc.exe which is a console command executable available on GitHub, I can do likewise with nvoc to overclock the video card at boot.
https://github.com/deathcamp/NVOC

I am loving it.  A couple commands, one time, and then it just runs the way I want it to run without needing to have a buggy program running all the time in the background.  And since it is watercooled, I don't need to have Precision running to control a fan curve.
2017/10/23 06:22:37
NocturnalCtrl92
Thanks for this post. I could use some advice though... Speedfan doesnt jive with my chipset, MSI Z170 and refuses to regulate fan speeds or even properly display RPM's or temps. From looking through the speedfan bug tracker it seems to be a common thing with this series of MSI boards, it just doesnt work. Any other alternatives? I Would like to be able to have some degree of control over the fans on my $850 card.
2017/10/23 08:22:43
ty_ger07
NocturnalCtrl92
Thanks for this post. I could use some advice though... Speedfan doesnt jive with my chipset, MSI Z170 and refuses to regulate fan speeds or even properly display RPM's or temps. From looking through the speedfan bug tracker it seems to be a common thing with this series of MSI boards, it just doesnt work. Any other alternatives? I Would like to be able to have some degree of control over the fans on my $850 card.

You could use the functionality built into your motherboard's BIOS to set the fan speed to a compatible motherboard header based on CPU temperature. In most rendering situations -- especially gaming --, GPU load creates CPU load. So, CPU temperature works pretty well for controlling GPU fan speed. Just make sure you don't use a zero RPM setting in such a situation ... just in case.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account