• Hardware Industry News
  • Intel Says i7 7700K CPUs Shouldn’t Be Overclocked In Response To Countless Overheating
2017/05/05 22:30:25
Xavier Zepherious
Intel i7 7700K owners have flooded the company’s official forum with countless reports and complaints about overheating issue that sends their CPUs’ temperatures shooting up to 90+ degrees Celsius with very minor computational loads and in some cases even when the processors are idling.
A number of i7 7700K owners have written about the issue to The Register which subsequently broke the story. One owner wrote “My own chip suffers from it, (without any overclocking) which is quite an annoyance. This despite a delid modification and a proper water loop, resulting in the fans ramping up and down very frequently, and the temperature appearing to frequently spike near the danger zone.”

What’s bizarre is that Intel doesn’t seem to understand or acknowledge that the reason so many i7 7700K owners have proceeded to de-lid their chips is precisely because they ran too hot. The process of removing the IHS is quite risky and can irreparably damage the CPU by directly damaging the silicon die itself.  Which is understandably why it voids the warranty. Despite the incredible risk, enthusiasts choose to do it because it can shave up to 25 degrees off the temperatures.
One would think that if you have to go out of your way to attempt such a risky endevour just so your CPU wouldn’t overheat then there’s something clearly not right. This is one of the reasons why many of the i7 7700K owners who have taken to the Intel forum to air their grievances were the least happy about the company’s response. After all the i7 7700K’s main selling point over the i7 7700 is that it features an unlocked multiplier specifically for overclocking. And now owners are being told that not only are the high temperatures normal but that they shouldn’t even attempt to overclock their CPUs. The very same CPUs that were specifically marketed and sold with overclocking as a feature.

http://wccftech.com/intel-i7-7700k-owners-flood-forums-with-overheating-complaints/

-------------------------------------------

lol whats next... Intel needs some lessons in PR management  - rather than blame people for trying to Overclock a CPU that suppose to overclock - and was a selling feature to boot
and runs hotter than a 5GHz AMD bulldozer - they should consider a recall  or replacement chips for those experiencing issues than lose market share from BAD PR

it's not like Intel doesn't have enough deep pockets to handle it

" The decision to include VRM circuitry into Haswell resulted in a lot of issues for Broadwell, and in the end the company ditched VRM circuitry for both Broadwell and Skylake."

the issue is power management - voltage spikes cause leakage if the spike is to high and lots of heat when it does
they need to revamp the power delivery system inside the chip and the transistors themselves - and it's why they ditch the internal VRM in the chip - because they had issues

sort of what Nvidia had to do to fix their heat issues with fermi

2017/05/05 23:01:45
FattysGoneWild
Seen it. Intel is hiding a design flaw of some sort that is going on. Not everyone has this problem and temps are perfectly fine. Bad 7700k's are out there. Far to many I suppose since Intel are just turning their heads the other way hoping it just goes away.
2017/05/06 10:41:07
boylerya
Kabylake-X launch is lining up to be an epic fail if this kind of detail is overlooked in the architecture. I cant imagine they fixed the issue when they pushed ahead on the launch date. I was highly considering buying it but now i will wait for user reviews til early 2018.
2017/05/06 12:08:52
rjohnson11
This is in reference to my previous post here. I still don't understand Intel's logic here:

https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2662161
2017/05/06 13:13:06
lehpron
No, everyone just needs to suck it up. 

The fact that Intel doesn't remove the IGP and uses paste under the IHS is obvious proof they don't bin K processors any differently or separately from every other SKU in the socket.  It's a red flag against the idea of "design to" or "supposed to" overclock just because Intel added a letter 'K'.  From Intel's perspective, they have identified a group of people willing to pay extra for an unlocked model, that's it.  Nothing special; factor in the silicon lottery, they can't test conditions outside specification if nothing is guaranteed.  

Unless anyone is willing to sacrifice your primary pillar (i.e. performance) and go to the competitor, on principle, Intel knows you won't leave; this is why they abuse you guys.  

Except even leaving won't do anything in this case, we aren't average folks by the tens of millions every year foregoing PC upgrades settling for ARM-based mobile devices-- that's the threat to Intel on the consumer side right now, not how overclockers feel.
2017/05/07 01:51:50
rjohnson11
lehpron
No, everyone just needs to suck it up. 

The fact that Intel doesn't remove the IGP and uses paste under the IHS is obvious proof they don't bin K processors any differently or separately from every other SKU in the socket.  It's a red flag against the idea of "design to" or "supposed to" overclock just because Intel added a letter 'K'.  From Intel's perspective, they have identified a group of people willing to pay extra for an unlocked model, that's it.  Nothing special; factor in the silicon lottery, they can't test conditions outside specification if nothing is guaranteed.  

Unless anyone is willing to sacrifice your primary pillar (i.e. performance) and go to the competitor, on principle, Intel knows you won't leave; this is why they abuse you guys.  

Except even leaving won't do anything in this case, we aren't average folks by the tens of millions every year foregoing PC upgrades settling for ARM-based mobile devices-- that's the threat to Intel on the consumer side right now, not how overclockers feel.

In a way I am glad I decided to try the AMD side of the house for a while
2017/05/07 01:52:32
Vlada011
If someone plan to build platform I suggest to wait little, it's not right moment, no matter what they want Ryzen or Intel.
Ryzen, I mean AM4 have own bugs, I read situation is not shine and people constant wait some BIOS improvement for C6H.
Mostly then can't overclock memory on fabric settings and similar things.

AMD look good if people are angry on Intel, or at least CPU single and multi core performance,
but memory benchmarks performance I don't like. It's seriously behind i7-5820K even on default settings with default Cache.
If Intel offer same performance + better memory results with X299 than only price is question.
Maybe memory is not so important for game, but could be important for other things, memory performance are part of PC and they count as well, not only CPU performance.
I was little angry because AMD beat me, but I will back with 8 cores and I will beat him in fair faith.
They design AM4 3 years, lets give Intel at least 6-12 months to launch something better not immediately to make decision.

I mean at the moment Ryzen 7 with better CPU performance are in advantage, fast CPU is far more important,
but maybe Intel could give us both, same or bigger CPU performance and quad channed DDR4 could shine. 
2017/05/07 07:31:14
pat39576
boylerya
Kabylake-X launch is lining up to be an epic fail if this kind of detail is overlooked in the architecture. I cant imagine they fixed the issue when they pushed ahead on the launch date. I was highly considering buying it but now i will wait for user reviews til early 2018.

Usually intel uses solder on the HEDT chips but no guarantee with kaby lake X should it depart from tradition and be a quad core.
2017/05/07 07:38:36
rjohnson11
pat39576
boylerya

Usually intel uses solder on the HEDT chips but no guarantee with kaby lake X should it depart from tradition and be a quad core.

Maybe it's best if you want to overclock with Intel to stay with their upper level CPUs.
2017/05/07 09:04:09
agent8
I was actually thinking about splurging on a i7 7700 but after reading this, I may just opt for a gently used i7 6700 like I originally planned. After I watched a few videos, I don't even see the need for an I7 for what I do...

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account