2017/03/13 09:30:36
Bobmitch
The ICX cooler makes all the sense.  However, Asynchronous fans, do not.  That would entail thermal sensors on the Power/VRM of the card, which it says it does not have.  I am with Ra1n that I believe a misprint on the product description...There would be no way for the fan controller to know when to start the fans...The only possible way for the fans over Power/VRM to work would be to use Precision and link the fans together...thus the GPU sensors would initiate the Power/VRM fan as well. 
2017/03/13 09:31:05
EVGA_Lee
I see multiple posts here with most of the facts correct, but not all of them (except, technically, for Ra1n_).  We've split up EVGA iCX Technology into two components - iCX Technology and iCX Cooling.  The main difference between them is that iCX Technology incorporates iCX Cooling, but uses the extra sensors and other features to enable the use of asynchronous fans, monitoring tools, etc.  iCX Cooling refers to the baseplate, backplate, cooler, and other patented technologies that relate only to the cooler portion of iCX.

The SC Black Edition features everything from the iCX Cooler:
  • Die-cast baseplate/backplate
  • Pin fins, multiple contact points between baseplate and heatsink
  • Pin holes and half-open fins to direct airflow around and through the card.
However, the card does not feature the iCX Technology, which means:
  • Fans are not asynchronous (only 1 fan header, not two)
  • Only the Nvidia GPU sensor (standard on all Nvidia cards)
  • Standard PCB, without any of the exclusive iCX PCB features (with the exception of a safety fuse).
Think of the GTX 1080 Ti Black Edition this way:  it's got all of the best new cooling features from iCX, but without the sensors or the asynchronous fans.  If you're the type of person that isn't worried about the temperatures around the PCB - especially with the newer cooling features on the iCX Cooler - then you can save a little money and go with this card, compared to the iCX version.  Similarly, the 1080 Ti SC Black Edition uses a reference PCB, which may be important to you if you're looking for aftermarket cooling, such as watercooling.  If you want the full iCX Technology with the sensors and asynchronous fans, however, then you'll want to go with the 1080 Ti SC2.
2017/03/13 09:37:48
the_Scarlet_one
Thanks Lee.

Bob, where are you seeing that it says the black has asynchornous fans anyway? This screen shot is from last Friday:

If there is a place the shows the black edition has asynchronous fans, it needs to be updated.

The product page doesnt show async fans either:

iCX Cooling

New vented heatsink fin design and pin fins for optimized airflow

Redesigned cooling with L-shaped contact fins to improve contact surface area for better heat dissipation

*EVIDENTLY Lee is a ninja and cut it off the product description before I could get there, lol

The launch page on the main site doesnt say anything about the black having async fans eithe
2017/03/13 09:42:18
EVGA_Lee
bob's not crazy.  He was referring to the features tab on the product page.  I just cleaned it up.  Mea culpa.
2017/03/13 09:43:15
the_Scarlet_one
EVGATech_LeeM
bob's not crazy.  He was referring to the features tab on the product page.  I just cleaned it up.  Mea culpa.

You're fast, lol. I looked in there, and it didn't say it anymore so I was very confused, lol.
2017/03/13 09:54:03
Bobmitch
EVGATech_LeeM
I see multiple posts here with most of the facts correct, but not all of them (except, technically, for Ra1n_).  We've split up EVGA iCX Technology into two components - iCX Technology and iCX Cooling.  The main difference between them is that iCX Technology incorporates iCX Cooling, but uses the extra sensors and other features to enable the use of asynchronous fans, monitoring tools, etc.  iCX Cooling refers to the baseplate, backplate, cooler, and other patented technologies that relate only to the cooler portion of iCX.

The SC Black Edition features everything from the iCX Cooler:
  • Die-cast baseplate/backplate
  • Pin fins, multiple contact points between baseplate and heatsink
  • Pin holes and half-open fins to direct airflow around and through the card.
However, the card does not feature the iCX Technology, which means:
  • Fans are not asynchronous (only 1 fan header, not two)
  • Only the Nvidia GPU sensor (standard on all Nvidia cards)
  • Standard PCB, without any of the exclusive iCX PCB features (with the exception of a safety fuse).
Think of the GTX 1080 Ti Black Edition this way:  it's got all of the best new cooling features from iCX, but without the sensors or the asynchronous fans.  If you're the type of person that isn't worried about the temperatures around the PCB - especially with the newer cooling features on the iCX Cooler - then you can save a little money and go with this card, compared to the iCX version.  Similarly, the 1080 Ti SC Black Edition uses a reference PCB, which may be important to you if you're looking for aftermarket cooling, such as watercooling.  If you want the full iCX Technology with the sensors and asynchronous fans, however, then you'll want to go with the 1080 Ti SC2.

So fans are NOT asynchronous.  Thank  you for clearing that up.  It is really an ACX on ICX steroids without the thermal sensors.  Even so, going to be a very nice card...and I think it will be an in between the FE and the SC2 version. 
2017/03/13 09:55:54
redleader00
EVGATech_LeeM

Similarly, the 1080 Ti SC Black Edition uses a reference PCB, which may be important to you if you're looking for aftermarket cooling, such as watercooling. 

Remember that the SC Black Edition has the extra DVI-D port, so its 99.9% reference but check that this is not a problem with the specific watercooler you choose if you are going for it.
2017/03/13 09:58:44
EVGA_Lee
bobmitch

So fans are NOT asynchronous.  Thank  you for clearing that up.  It is really an ACX on ICX steroids without the thermal sensors.  Even so, going to be a very nice card...and I think it will be an in between the FE and the SC2 version. 

I'd say that's a fairly accurate description.  It certainly has its place in the lineup, depending on a person's needs.
2017/03/13 10:01:54
the_Scarlet_one
redleader00
EVGATech_LeeM

Similarly, the 1080 Ti SC Black Edition uses a reference PCB, which may be important to you if you're looking for aftermarket cooling, such as watercooling. 

Remember that the SC Black Edition has the extra DVI-D port, so its 99.9% reference but check that this is not a problem with the specific watercooler you choose if you are going for it.

The titan xp had a dvi port, and since it uses the same pcb, it should not have any effect on fitment when using titan xp blocks.
2017/03/13 10:44:33
EVGA_Lee
redleader00
EVGATech_LeeM

Fair point.  I also just learned that the SC Black Edition will also feature the safety fuse on it, as well, which means that compatibility with some waterblocks could be compromised.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account