2017/02/17 14:20:33
EllBrad
Or does EVGA only recommend pure sine wave with line interactive with their PSUs because of power factor correction?
2017/02/17 14:24:22
Tech_RayH
The power supplies all have active PFC and can support a simulated sine wave from an APC just fine
2017/02/17 14:28:07
EVGA_Lee
Do EVGA Power Supplies support UPS backup devices that support Line-Interactive AVR UPS which uses a simulated/artificial sine wave?

Edit:  To clarify the FAQ a bit, the main source of potential harm from Active-PFC and UPS devices comes from the rush of power that spikes when the UPC flips from the wall outlet to the backup.  If the UPS device has a large fluctuation outside of what the PSU's Active-PFC can handle, then you might see some damage.  However, all of EVGA's Active-PFC power supplies are well-within the margins to tolerate these kinds of voltage fluctuations.  I'd generally recommend purchasing a good quality brand and unit, however, to make sure those sorts of issues have a low probability of occurring.  
2017/02/18 04:26:33
MSim
At least someone able to get answer from evga, they ignored my question about this same thing.

http://forums.evga.com/UPS-backup-power-m2614025.aspx

2017/02/18 10:01:51
bcavnaugh
Nice Info and Link EVGATech_LeeM
2017/02/18 11:22:29
robbysites
EVGATech_LeeM
Do EVGA Power Supplies support UPS backup devices that support Line-Interactive AVR UPS which uses a simulated/artificial sine wave?

Edit:  To clarify the FAQ a bit, the main source of potential harm from Active-PFC and UPS devices comes from the rush of power that spikes when the UPC flips from the wall outlet to the backup.  If the UPS device has a large fluctuation outside of what the PSU's Active-PFC can handle, then you might see some damage.  However, all of EVGA's Active-PFC power supplies are well-within the margins to tolerate these kinds of voltage fluctuations.  I'd generally recommend purchasing a good quality brand and unit, however, to make sure those sorts of issues have a low probability of occurring.  

EVGATech_LeeM is correct that the main source of potential harm is from power spikes. Having a good battery backup is essential in saving your computer from possible damage from these large fluctuations or spikes from the power source.
There is however another condition that occurs and can be unseen and cause severe damage to Hard Drives. That condition would be a Brown Out where the power going to your computer from a 110 volt power source is less than say 99 volts. Your computer will still work but the life of your hard drives is significantly decreased. There are volumes of information regarding this topic.The best solution to stop a Brown Out would be to purchase a good battery backup that is line interactive. The cheap UPSs only turn on if there is a blackout, total loss of power and offer protection from spikes. The pure sine UPS will be the most expensive, but if you get one that is line interactive you will prevent the small drop in power to your computer and extend the life of your hard drives.

Thanks for the post EVGATech_LeeM
2017/02/18 17:04:15
EllBrad
Because it's a SSW and a standby unit, means no brownout protection? This one I bought CyberPower EC650LCD manual claims it will switch to battery in event of a brownout
2017/02/18 23:52:42
robbysites
EllBrad
Because it's a SSW and a standby unit, means no brownout protection? This one I bought CyberPower EC650LCD manual claims it will switch to battery in event of a brownout

Then you should be fine. There a plenty out there that kick in when there is a power loss, but do not constantly monitor the current. If the model you have monitors the power and assists if you have a lower current then you should be fine. Many models merely turn on where there is a power loss!
2017/02/22 13:01:48
HeavyHemi
EllBrad

If that is on the system that is in your sig, it's too small. Its max rated output is 390 watts. Your UPS should be sized, at the bare minimum, at your expected max power draw.
2017/02/22 13:07:06
EllBrad
HeavyHemi
EllBrad

If that is on the system that is in your sig, it's too small. Its max rated output is 390 watts. Your UPS should be sized, at the bare minimum, at your expected max power draw.

I've tested my system using a kill-a-watt and it did not draw more than 320 watts running fire strike

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account