2016/11/01 17:45:57
the_Scarlet_one
http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/

EVGA has Just updated the Thermal Pad Mod page.

Turns out, I was right about the fan speed being too low and not moving enough air over the VRM heat spreader.  This is a very easy supplementary update for every user (simply download and open the file). 
2016/11/01 18:16:57
DeathAngel74
I have some spare pads lying around. Will these suffice? 
Fujipoly / mod/smart Ultra Extreme XR-m Thermal Pad - 100 x 15 x 0.5 - Thermal Conductivity 17.0 W/mK
Fujipoly / mod/smart Ultra Extreme XR-m Thermal Pad - 100 x 15 x 1.0 - Thermal Conductivity 17.0 W/mK
Fujipoly / mod/smart Ultra Extreme XR-m Thermal Pad - 100 x 15 x 1.5 - Thermal Conductivity 17.0 W/mK
Thanks for the tutorial Scarlet-Tech.
Also, I don't see a file download on the thermal mod page. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the above post.
Nevermind, I misread it. It will be released in a few days. Thanks again!
2016/11/01 18:22:19
ilyama
Very nice this post but I still think that a customer dont have to do such manipulation on his graphic card, and for you this is easy, I already know several evga customers on french forums who dont want to do that ! 
2016/11/01 18:28:43
wirerogue
thanks

2016/11/01 18:46:33
Guest007
Thanks a lot for the guide - It'll certainly help me out a lot, and I think I'll do the spread method as well.
I still remember how badly my first pea method went when installing my 4790K.
Well it wasn't the peas fault - I just didn't fasten the darn sink at all xD

As for suggestions for the guide, you could point out that the indentations from the fins can be seen more clearly in the picture below where you're applying the thermal paste.
Again, thanks for the guide! It's awesome 
2016/11/01 19:12:04
andeh19
Thanks for the guide.  Exactly how much paste do you initially put on before spreading it?
2016/11/01 19:41:45
the_Scarlet_one
andeh19
Thanks for the guide.  Exactly how much paste do you initially put on before spreading it?

A little more than an 1/8th the size of the die with the pea method, and then spread. I will add a little more of needed, and then spread.
2016/11/01 22:27:59
shannonjpower
NM just read the bottom section. All good in the hood. Thankyou!!
2016/11/01 22:47:52
sahafiec
this guy is just great! thank you Scarlet, well done. 
2016/11/02 02:20:11
MitchyK7
For those asking how to apply thermal interface material (TIM), Heatsink compound, Cooler sauce, or whatever you like to call it, here's a tip. As scarlet said, spreading IS the best way to apply TIM. I used to work for an electric vehicle research company, and as you can imagine, our MOSFET's and VRM's were a "bit" bigger to say the least. After twenty years of experimenting i settled on a way to apply TIM which has never let me down, and always provides superior results if done right. It's easy, it's quick and only takes slightly more effort than just globbing it on. lol.
As Scarlet suggested using a credit card or similar is a good way to apply it, but NOT using the edge. Initially using the edge to get it on is fine, but then you need to move slightly inboard. I've got a picture i'll add to this post to show you what I mean. It's quite simple, you bend the card slightly by pushing down firmly on it as you spread the TIM. This helps expel any bubbles and applies a nice even thin layer of TIM. I've used this on electronics of all sorts including CPU's and GPU's of hundreds of systems. My current RIG has an i5 6600K that idles at 27'c and tops out at 38'c. My GTX 1070 FTW idles at 28'c and tops out at 64'c. Can't take credit for the FTW, that's out of the box and i've had no issues, but mine was built on 10/10/16 according to my info page. I've run it while monitoring temps with an infra red thermometer and the back of my card sits around 35-40'c. So it seems the pad fix is very effective. I also run a more aggressive fan profile, but not by much.

Anyway, as you can see by the picture you use the part of the card slightly away from the edge as the edge can scrape away the TIM as you're spreading it. This way you can expel bubbles and the edge is flat to stop it digging up TIM as you're applying it. It is slightly messier on surrounding areas but a couple of wipes can clean that up in seconds. Then you're good to mount your cooler and carry on. This works well for both GPU and CPU coolers as well as all kinds of electronics with large heatsink areas. it's fine to change direction if one area isn't covered well and keep going until it's completely covered and then do the aforementioned clean up. Hopefully this helps some of you worried about your cards and the most effective way to stop them self igniting. lol

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account