2016/11/01 16:02:27
bcavnaugh
I now use the Spread Method as well, CPU and GPU.
2016/11/01 16:03:20
brokencross
Scarlet-Tech
I have used the line, the pea, and the spread method.  the times that I used the line and the pea method, there was sections of the GPU core that had absolutely no TIM covering them, so I started using the spread method and making sure it was all covered. Four 780's, four 780tis, four 980, four 980tis and now one 1070, and I have never had a GPU fail... except the time I used dry ice cooling on a 780 and killed it, but that was because of condensation lol.

Hm, makes sense. Better safe than sorry, I guess.
2016/11/01 16:32:03
Ugugu
My questions goes to creator of this thread, Scarlet-Tech, is this the official evga's guide and will they ship the same thickness pads? I ask because, I also have all the materials already in home, there for if this is the real solution and real materials, I don't need to wait no longer, I will just apply this fix right now. Please respond if you'r online, thanks.
2016/11/01 16:40:52
the_Scarlet_one
Ugugu
My questions goes to creator of this thread, Scarlet-Tech, is this the official evga's guide and will they ship the same thickness pads? I ask because, I also have all the materials already in home, there for if this is the real solution and real materials, I don't need to wait no longer, I will just apply this fix right now. Please respond if you'r online, thanks.

This is not an EVGA official how to.  This is the same guide that EVGA will be putting out for the thermal pads install. The thermal pads they ship will probably be 1mm.  I used what I had at home, which was .5mm.  I am looking for my 1mm pads so I can install them now.
2016/11/01 16:42:56
ARIOS-X1
Thanks for the information about the pads placements and also applying the thermal paste, I will spread the paste instead of just putting a pea drop on. I would like to know from your experience, What is the best tool or way to spread the paste efficently and even?

Also I just ordered some Arctic 1.0mm thermal pads from Amazon because my request for the EVGA thermal pads is still stating "Your request is awaiting approval." I don't feel like waiting as I requested those more than a week ago and the status hasn't changed, I have no knowlege of when they will even be shipped...

Also I replaced the stock backplate with an EK-FC1080 GTX FTW Backplate - Nickel and it came with some thermal pads to put in between the pcb and plate. I believe in the exact spot in your pics. I will know for sure when I take it apart again to apply the new Arctic pads. I did notice that the new EK back plate was extremely warm near slight burning when I was running some benchmarks on my 1070 FTW Slave bios auto fan speed. Temps were in the 80's and it soon started to artifact/glitch non overclocked. Could the backplate be a reason temps actually get warmer as it acts as a heat trap instead of a heat disapater? I am using EK's backplate with the ACX 3.0 cooler and not with a waterblock, but when I game I now put the fans on 100% because I use headphones and don't notice the noise.
For anyone looking to buy the Arctic Thermal Pads, there were only four 1.0mm 145/145mm sets left on Amazon so anyone who doesn't feel like waiting for EVGA to send them, go grab the last pair. Or look for some other brand, I figured Arctic is a trusted enough brand to go with. Cost was $16.29 USD and it's Prime 2day ship available. They also have 0.5mm and 1.5mm as well. Is the thicker the thermal pad, the better heat reduction?
2016/11/01 16:47:05
BrandonS
I won't weigh in on which method is best, but keep in mind that there is a heat spreader on a CPU that doesn't exist on a GPU; it's a bigger problem for bare spots on the raw die than if the corners of a heat spreader aren't covered. 
2016/11/01 16:48:41
Ugugu
Scarlet-Tech
Ugugu

This is not an EVGA official how to.  This is the same guide that EVGA will be putting out for the thermal pads install. The thermal pads they ship will probably be 1mm.  I used what I had at home, which was .5mm.  I am looking for my 1mm pads so I can install them now.

I have plenty of 0.5mm (100x100mm), also few 1mm and 1,5mm (100x100mm), I will do exactly as you did, only replace 2x0.5mm straight away with 1mm or 1.5mm will see how the backplate will make contact with upper pcb mosfets.
2016/11/01 16:55:33
the_Scarlet_one
ARIOS-X1
Thanks for the information about the pads placements and also applying the thermal paste, I will spread the paste instead of just putting a pea drop on. I would like to know from your experience, What is the best tool or way to spread the paste efficently and even?

Also I just ordered some Arctic 1.0mm thermal pads from Amazon because my request for the EVGA thermal pads is still stating "Your request is awaiting approval." I don't feel like waiting as I requested those more than a week ago and the status hasn't changed, I have no knowlege of when they will even be shipped...

Also I replaced the stock backplate with an EK-FC1080 GTX FTW Backplate - Nickel and it came with some thermal pads to put in between the pcb and plate. I believe in the exact spot in your pics. I will know for sure when I take it apart again to apply the new Arctic pads. I did notice that the new EK back plate was extremely warm near slight burning when I was running some benchmarks on my 1070 FTW Slave bios auto fan speed. Temps were in the 80's and it soon started to artifact/glitch non overclocked. Could the backplate be a reason temps actually get warmer as it acts as a heat trap instead of a heat disapater? I am using EK's backplate with the ACX 3.0 cooler and not with a waterblock, but when I game I now put the fans on 100% because I use headphones and don't notice the noise.
For anyone looking to buy the Arctic Thermal Pads, there were only four 1.0mm 145/145mm sets left on Amazon so anyone who doesn't feel like waiting for EVGA to send them, go grab the last pair. Or look for some other brand, I figured Arctic is a trusted enough brand to go with. Cost was $16.29 USD and it's Prime 2day ship available. They also have 0.5mm and 1.5mm as well. Is the thicker the thermal pad, the better heat reduction?

I honestly use the edge of my debit or credit card.  It works really well.  I wouldn't show that part in the pictures though, lol.

As for the backplate and thermal pads, I can not say whether the backplate holds heat in rather than dissipating.  I have no way to properly test that.

Thicker thermal pads do not always work better.  Took thick isn't going to be bad, but too thin definitely would be horrible. 

EVGATech_BrandonS
I won't weigh in on which method is best, but keep in mind that there is a heat spreader on a CPU that doesn't exist on a GPU; it's a bigger problem for bare spots on the raw die than if the corners of a heat spreader aren't covered. 

Thank you for stopping in Brandon. If you can see any changes that need to be made to this, please let me know and I will update the thread.

2016/11/01 16:56:09
the_Scarlet_one
Ugugu
Scarlet-Tech
Ugugu

I have plenty of 0.5mm (100x100mm), also few 1mm and 1,5mm (100x100mm), I will do exactly as you did, only replace 2x0.5mm straight away with 1mm or 1.5mm will see how the backplate will make contact with upper pcb mosfets.

Perfect.  Let us know how it goes when you have a chance please.
2016/11/01 16:58:03
ARIOS-X1
EVGATech_BrandonS

Thanks for pointing that out. Last time I changed the TIM I put a large ~3mm pea size right in the middle, but when I apply the new pads, I'll use the spread method. It looks like its the safer way to go.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account