2014/01/28 12:07:22
kmc234
Hi Everyone,

So the pump that came with my Hadron Hydro kit leaks.  EVGA was awesome enough to send me a replacement pump.  That one leaks, too.  They both work fine for about a few days, but then they start leaking.  I suspect they weren't tested under load, with warm 60 C water rushing through them.  

Whatever their testing methods, I decided not to mess around with thousands of dollars of EVGA moba and GPU.  I ordered a custom pump from another vender and I installed it.  After several days of intense World of Tanks action, I am happy to report that my new pump does NOT leak.  At all.  Not a drop.  So I have confirmed the problem in fact lay with the pumps that came with the EVGA Hadron Hydro kit.

Note also the design of the new pump:
  • The new pump is smaller, but retains approximately the same size reservoir.
  • The new pump is quieter.
  • The new pump is made from a clear ceramic.  It feels more sturdy and the seams between the 3 pieces (pump, plexi-top, reservoir) are nicely made with gaskets between them.
  • The new pump reservoir fills from the top, not the side.  Seriously, the old fill hole design doesn't let you fill the reservoir all the way, unless you tilt your machine!!  It also makes spills more likely; I had to put paper towers underneath the pump after tilting it just to fill the reservoir.  No, just no.
  • The new pump came in 3 pieces that are easy to assemble.  If the new pump motor were to fail (years from now, I expect), I just have to order an $18 part instead of replacing the other two pieces.  The pump itself is a tiny thing, and unscrews easily from the bottom of the plexi-top (their name for the middle piece).
  • The entire new pump with top and reservoir costs around $55 from an online shop.  Somewhat more expensive ($76) from a more famous online shop that rhymes with "ozenCPU"  I sadly paid the higher price, but they threw in a couple of 1/4" G screw plugs because you need at least one in my kind of setup (one outlet, one return). 
  • The new pump seems more powerful.  My CPU temps top out around 52 instead of 60 now.  Maybe some of that is the thermal paste on the CPU settling in, but I think it's mostly the stronger pump.
  • The new pump has a connection that hooks right up to a fan header on my motherboard.  The old pump needed an adapter, although admittedly the old pump had a cool LED light inside of it.  Not a big deal, if I need a light I can buy one easily enough.
  • The new pump drives out the air bubbles immediately.  The old pump struggled to do so.  I had to tilt the case with the old pump running to try and get the air bubbles out.  All I had to do with the new pump was to fill it as it consumed the coolant to fill air spaces in my loop.
  • The new pump does not leak like the old one did.
So everything is working great now!  Kudos to EVGA for their Stinger Z87 Motherboard and their GTX 780 Hydro Copper video card.  The performance is great, I've got settings in World of Tanks maxed running on 3 screens (5970x1080 odd resolution due to bezel adjustment).  

However, I strongly recommend taking precautions if you are going to use the stock pump that comes with their Hadron Hydro water cooling kit.  I suspect that that entire batch of pumps they had made for them leaks.  Now with the new pump, I can run my computer without fear of coolant gushing everywhere and turning my system into an expensive hunk of junk.  Seriously, it's not fun worrying about a leak while running your rig.  Water cooling has been around for a while; tubes, fittings, and pumps are all made and tested to not leak.  The fact that the stock pump from EVGA leaks is... not good.
2014/01/28 12:28:36
kmc234
Here are images of the old and new pump (old on the left):

Note that the new pump is quite a bit smaller than the old one.  What's that under the new pump?  I made a little stool for the new pump to stand on out of some of the clear plastic that came with an SD card (hehe, recycling!) and filled it with some packing foam.  Pretty amateur, I know, but I didn't have a piece of hard foam handy to stick in there.  Maybe if I'm feeling ambitious I'll put a proper mount in there.  Yes, I appropriated the metal mounting block from the old pump for the new one.
2014/01/29 14:23:42
bigbrag
I almost bought that same pump. Its nice to see that it will fit the stock pump stand. I wish I could buy that part seperate from evga's kit because I plan to assemble my own parts. 
2014/01/30 04:52:34
erick.mendes
@kmc234 The images are not loading (at least for me...)
2014/01/30 10:37:09
TECH_DaveB
KMC234,
this is definitely unusual, I have personally built a few of these and done some long term testing without issue.  That being said I would like to work with you on getting this squared away.
I will be contacting you directly shortly.

2014/01/30 12:01:32
Jfeil
Welcome to the club, man.  I just finished my Hadron Hydro build last night, and after running for about 3 hours leak free, the seam on the pump/reservoir developed a leak, and it leaked all over a brand new Power Color R9 290x liquid cooled card.  Prior to running the system with the power on, I used the supplied power supply jumper and ran the loop for SIX HOURS without any system components powered on!  I think you're correct about these not being tested with warm liquids in them.  Needless to say, I'm out nearly $800 for the graphics card, luckily it seems as though the rest of the system was spared.  I'm so upset right now I could scream!  I honestly should have known better, I had my reservations about the pump/reservoir when I saw it in person, it's made of some incredibly cheap plastic with shoddy looking plastic weld seams holding it together.  I never should have trusted that piece of junk to my new system, I've built MANY liquid loops in my day, and I've never had a leak or any similar issue.

Anyway, I ran across this post after a google search, I guess I'm not alone.  I'm sure I could get EVGA to replace the faulty pump, but that's peanuts compared to what I've lost in the process.  I've been an EVGA customer for YEARS, but this one definitely puts a sour taste in my mouth.
2014/01/30 13:19:06
kmc234
Hi Jfeil,

I'm so sorry to hear that your graphics card was ruined!  Maybe my noobishness with regards to water cooling PCs served me well here.  I do happen to be an engineer (of sorts), and when I unpacked the kit and looked at the pump I was dubious.  So I was careful with it, and monitored it constantly during the first few days of usage.  I put paper towels around and under it.  Eventually when it started oozing bright green liquid I was able to see it immediately and I drained the loop.

The warm water guess is just that: a guess.  But it seems the leak got worse only after putting the system under load.  So maybe it's not a terrible guess.

Like I said, I'm a complete noob in this area, but the pump I eventually purchased rocks.  It was clearly made for this kind of operation in mind, and very fortunately it fits in the tiny space allotted for a pump in the Hadron Hydro case.  If you're still going to use the case, I might suggest buying the same one I bought.  I've been running it for about a week now under constant load and so far, so good.

The pump combo I ordered is called "Alphacool DC-LT Ceramic 12V DC Pump + Plexi Top + Reservoir".  The ceramic building material they used probably doesn't expand/contract due to heating very much.  Internet search that and you should find some vendors that sell that pump.  One note, however.  The pump screw holes are aligned 90 degrees to the outlet port, so you can't screw it into the existing mount or the case, unfortunately.  You'll have to use another mounting scheme, maybe strapping it in with zip ties or an angle bracket.
2014/01/30 13:19:37
TelFiRE
I don't know what EVGA's policy is, but when a Corsair H100 leaks, Corsair buys the ruined parts.
2014/01/30 13:31:32
kmc234
bigbrag
I almost bought that same pump. Its nice to see that it will fit the stock pump stand. I wish I could buy that part seperate from evga's kit because I plan to assemble my own parts. 

If you buy the pump, note that the screw holes on it are facing the wrong way to be used with the stock pump stand (the pump stand which comes with EVGA's kit already attached to the pump, NOT the Hadron case itself).  You'll need to find another way to secure it.
2014/01/30 13:41:06
kmc234
EVGATech_DaveB
KMC234,
this is definitely unusual, I have personally built a few of these and done some long term testing without issue.  That being said I would like to work with you on getting this squared away.
I will be contacting you directly shortly.

Do not send me another pump!  I've already purchased and installed a pump that I like.  Just reimburse me for the pump I bought (I paid $77 for it, it can be purchased for $55 from a different vendor.)  Or do not reimburse me, I'm not going to bad-mouth EVGA or anything; you guys have good customer service.  Maybe you outsourced these pumps and the manufacturer let you down.  But the pump even looks dubious.  And despite your testing, the above poster JFeil is clearly having the same problem.  So I believe the problem to be inherent to that model of pump, not the specific 2 instances of it that I got (the original kit and the replacement you sent me).

Due to gravity and the arrangement of components in the Hadron case, the failed pump WILL drip coolant onto the graphics card, eventually causing it to short out.  I'm just lucky I caught the problem before that happened to me.

I would suggest calling up Alphacool and see if you can use their (awesome!) pump in your kit.  It seems to do a much better cooling job than your pump did; I'm posting lower temps on my i7 4770k CPU + EVGA GTX 780 GPU with the Alphacool pump as opposed to your pump.  It's quieter and doesn't leak.  I've always associated quality with your products, but if you insist on continuing to sell your kit with the existing pump model, I fear you will get more of these complaints coming your way soon.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account