2014/01/08 10:39:31
eduncan911
Fyi, I undervolt everything - it saves the wattage.  The Titans are max undervolted, and it still was way too hot.  The trick I found was not to use the Power Target to limit temps because the PT makes the core speed jump way too much; but, instead to use the Temp Target to limit the temps.  The temp target is key because it seems to lower the GPU voltage EVEN FURTHER than I could lower it manually!

It looks like that is exactly what you are doing: take a look at your voltage: it should be around 1.135 or 1.175 at that core speed.  You are limiting it with the Temp Target.  I also didn't see any difference with memory overclocking.  Instead of +0.035V, lower it as far as it will go instead!  This should boost your core speed, as well as lowering your Power usage to stay away from the Power Target limit of the 115% of the stock LN2 bios.

I do have to make a note that with my 780 Classy, before I found this Temp Target trick, I could not undervolt it.  As a matter of fact, I had to use the CLassified controller to force 1.35V really hot wattage to get it to mine at 1380 and 1390 Mhz.  It was insanely hot, and pulled an insane amount of wattage (around 870 Watts from the wall, for a single GPU!).  I'm hoping it was just my frack up of not knowing how to undervolt properly or PrecisionX didn't take or something.  I'll try again.

Take a look at your graphs/monitor.  Look at the "Limit" values towards the bottom.  It should tell you what is limiting your GPU.  I am going a guess and say both the Power Target and Temp Target is limiting it (Temp Target on purpose at 75C, but Power Target getting in the way).

Flashing Skyn3t's BIOS will remove that Temp Limit, and let your core Mhz and Power usage run free!  Use the Temp Target, with fans set to manual of your liking, to limit the amount of khash the card is making.  I have my Titans set at 80C as that is what I am comfortable with.  The CLassified's VRms can take fare more abuse than my Titans, so set the guy at 85C.  

I control my overall khash/s with my fan speeds.  When I am in my office, like right now, I have them set to 80% because I can't bare the noise any higher (even at 80% with reference coolers, they are loud) for around 1250 khash/s.  When I step out, I increase them to 100% for about 1430 khash/s.  And I got rid of the ACX coolers from the Titans beause the heat dumping, even with the side panel off, made one card run way too hot.  Reference coolers, with high-end thermal pads and TIM, seem to actually give me the same performance as the ACX coolers did with their EVGA thermal pads and grease.  Just the noise is louder with reference coolers.

I use Afterburner for my overclocking because of 1 reason and 1 reason only: Precision X does not allow you to set the voltage in a stored profile (I have my machine set to auto start into mining and overclocking, undervolting at boot up).  It's sad too, because I really liked controlling my machine remotely with my Android.

2014/01/08 10:48:55
Equitum
Just for reference - I got about 60 more kh/s when I bumped up my memory clock offset to +150 MHz from the +50 MHz I had it at before. YMMV, but overclocking the memory is worth a try, especially since Scrypt operations are memory intensive.

I'm not sure where I would look on the graphs for Precision X to find the "Limit" - I don't see anything like that - but I was planning on switching over to Afterburner anyways. I'll take a crack at undervolting my card with AB and report back.
2014/01/08 10:59:06
eduncan911
Look at the bottom of Precision's window. See the Profile buttons? Those buttons are there because of the button to the left that says Profiles.

Instead, click the button that says "Performance Log". Now, in those graphs that appear, double click the graphs and be wow'd at what opens next.

Click the Profiles button again to return to profiles.
2014/01/08 11:10:16
Equitum
eduncan911
Look at the bottom of Precision's window. See the Profile buttons? Those buttons are there because of the button to the left that says Profiles.

Instead, click the button that says "Performance Log". Now, in those graphs that appear, double click the graphs and be wow'd at what opens next.

Click the Profiles button again to return to profiles.

Aha! I was wondering why I could only see those three logs..! It is the power limit for sure. Also, it seems like I can't undervolt at all. The "slider" on the voltage control on AB is nonresponsive, and the readout only shows green. I'm not sure if that's because I'm voltage locked on the 780 Ti Classified LN2 BIOS (I would certainly hope not), or if it's because I simply don't know what I'm doing...

Attached Image(s)

2014/01/08 11:23:02
eduncan911
1) make sure u don't have both PrecisionX and Afterburner running.

2) for Afterburner, always get the Beta. Betas have the volt unlocking (and other api hacks likr LLC) for unofficial cards.

3) to unlock voltage, go into the settings and check the box. You may want to read how to use Afterburner for overclocking and voltage tuning.

There's also another app that I love for overclocking, undervolting: Nvidia Inspector. You can set desktop shortcuts that does the overclocking for you and it doesn't have to be running (think max bemchmarking). It just the graphs don't remember the settings and u always have to change them.
2014/01/08 11:51:56
Equitum
eduncan911
1) make sure u don't have both PrecisionX and Afterburner running.

2) for Afterburner, always get the Beta. Betas have the volt unlocking (and other api hacks likr LLC) for unofficial cards.

3) to unlock voltage, go into the settings and check the box. You may want to read how to use Afterburner for overclocking and voltage tuning.

There's also another app that I love for overclocking, undervolting: Nvidia Inspector. You can set desktop shortcuts that does the overclocking for you and it doesn't have to be running (think max bemchmarking). It just the graphs don't remember the settings and u always have to change them.

I'd already taken care of 1 and 3, but I hadn't looked at a beta version of AB. I'll check their site. 

Edit: Got the beta version. Voltage looks adjustable, bit more options as well! I'll get tinkering...

Edit 2: Well, any time I try to undervolt via AB, it reverts back to stock voltage. Disappointing. I assume it has to do with voltage limits set in the BIOS, and there's likely a workaround; I just have to find it.
2014/01/08 11:57:38
eduncan911
Afterburner Beta = bypasses Nvidia NDA agreements because it is "unofficial".
2014/01/08 13:29:01
Equitum
I actually decided that, since I'm still at 70C and I haven't even really plumbed the depths of OCing my GPU, I won't worry about undervolting until it becomes necessary - currently operating at +0.3V, 115% TDP, 1202 MHz core clock (+156 MHz offset (BIOS issue on 780 Ti Classy apparently doesn't allow for stable overclocking past here - have yet to test past it)), 3703 MHz mem. clock (+200 MHz offset), and I'm at 71C with power still being the limit.

Best part of it: card is mining at around 745-750 kh/s now. My first hashrate on a safe, preliminary, OC was ~630 kh/s. This kind of result is fantastic!

For now, i'm going to try and push past the 1202 MHz core clock "boundary" others with the 780 Ti Classified have experienced on the stock BIOS. I might push the voltage up, but as the limit is still the power, I don't think adjusting the voltage will really do much beyond raise temperatures. I might flash to the Skyn3t BIOS later just for the unlocked Power limits and really test out what my card can do - I'll just have to proceed while carefully watching temperatures.
2014/01/08 20:59:55
eduncan911
That's pretty awesome.

Man I am getting jealous of these 780 Ti cards now.  You're the 2nd to get consistent 720+ out of them (the other is a reference 780 Ti).  And your low temps is nice as well.  The other guy is using Temp Target to limit his Power usage to just under 112%, which downvolts the card as well.

Down-volting = less Power Target usage.  It's a direct 1:1 correlation.  If you can lower your voltage, you'll lower your Power usage and your Power Target will drop.

So, you may find success in that as well since you are hitting the 115% PT limit.  Use your Temp Target to lower your voltages even further.

Then again, with my 780 Classy it did NOT like any less voltage at all.  Maybe the 14 phase VRMs that the CLassifieds have really needs a lot of voltage to run them, opposed to the 6 phases the reference Titans and 780 Tis have.  

I am starting to think the reference cards are better for Mining now because of the VRM's lower power requirements.  Meaning, higher Mhash/j ratio and less Power usage.
2014/01/08 21:17:32
eduncan911

Jez, it looks like "gambling" really is a gambling.  It took nearly 24 hours to find my 4th block.

[2014-01-07 10:15:06] 2 miner threads started, using 'scrypt' algorithm.
[2014-01-07 17:34:54] accepted: 1/1 (100.00%), 1229 khash/s (yay!!!)
[2014-01-07 20:25:03] accepted: 2/2 (100.00%), 1206 khash/s (yay!!!)
[2014-01-07 23:07:08] accepted: 3/3 (100.00%), 1382 khash/s (yay!!!)
[2014-01-08 22:59:38] accepted: 4/4 (100.00%), 1325 khash/s (yay!!!)

Yowser.  I am still ahead of the 0.48 estimate at my hashrate (difficulty dropped recently, it's lower now).  

All in all, I gambled and still won.  I was supposed to make only 47 coins in my 37 hour's stint if I was pooling.  Instead, I have a wallet balance of 60.10 coins.

I have to do some travelling the next couple of days and since I have no remote access to this machine, I am going to shut it down and give my Titans a break.  So, no more Solo Mining for me until this weekend when I think about it again.  

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account