2013/04/24 12:22:16
larsoncc
So, just bear in mind that you'll actually want to go into the monitor/resolution settings in windows and switch it to the correct refresh rate.  I know that sounds silly, but the 120hz monitors I've played with all defaulted to 60hz. 

Want a fun game to play with that monitor?

Plug both your monitors into the card, and do an extended desktop.  Drag a window between the two monitors, and then rapidly up and down.  Watch as your old monitor tears the heck out of the window, while your new monitor shows silky smooth motion.
2013/04/24 12:43:29
Zuhl3156
I set it to 144 in the nVidia control panel. There are some weird settings like "Trace Free" that goes from zero to 100. It comes set at 60 and I bumped it to 100 because I thought higher equals better but I got some flickering in YouTube videos. I was getting some dark flashes in BF3 but it might have been bloom from firing rockets in Moble Artillery. The manual is seriously lacking. I'll have to experiment with the different settings and see what happens. Can't get a decent photo with my iPhone. Sorry.
2013/04/24 13:26:23
NemesisChild
A friend bought this same monitor about a month ago.
It literally took him a 2 weeks to fine tune the settings.
2013/04/24 14:05:23
larsoncc
Zuhl3156

I set it to 144 in the nVidia control panel. There are some weird settings like "Trace Free" that goes from zero to 100. It comes set at 60 and I bumped it to 100 because I thought higher equals better but I got some flickering in YouTube videos. I was getting some dark flashes in BF3 but it might have been bloom from firing rockets in Moble Artillery. The manual is seriously lacking. I'll have to experiment with the different settings and see what happens. Can't get a decent photo with my iPhone. Sorry.

Trace Free 60 or 80 are good on your monitor according to this:  http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/asus-vg248qe

So "trace free" is pixel overdrive.  Basically, this monitor is quicker at setting its pixels by forcing more voltage through it (simple version). Too much overdrive (Trace free) can yield "ghosting" or "inverse ghosting".  Not enough, and you get "trailing" - so in other words, this is a balance.  It's kind of like Sharpness on a TV, but in motion.

http://www.prad.de/en/index.html - these guys have some tools that can make it easier to determine how much Trace Free you should use.  Having not seen this monitor, just based on reading, I think you set it correctly.
2013/04/24 14:44:27
Zuhl3156
I knocked it down to zero because I was getting choppy frames in BF3 and after that everything was fine. I read a review before playing where they had better results with Trace Free set to zero. A setting of 80-100 caused serious tearing.
2013/04/25 07:08:13
jesterhead963
I own both this 24 in 144hz monitor as well as a dell 27in u2711 60hz 2560x1440. I actually prefer playing on the asus even though its a lower res and smaller screen than my dell. Gameplay is so smooth when u can maintain 144fps. My only complaint is the color. Compared to my ips dell the colors feel as if they have poor contrast. I tried adjusting them from what came out of the box and its alot better now but still not as nice as i would like. Anyone mind posting their settings for this monitor
2013/04/25 08:13:46
Zuhl3156
I might need to make some adjustments whenever my new cable gets here but so far I like what I am seeing. It would be nice to be able to move this display back around 6-8 inches and see what needs to be done but NewEgg has decided to use DHL to ship my part. Monday my cable sat in their warehouse waiting to be picked up. Tuesday it sat in a DHL warehouse waiting to be picked up. Yesterday it sat in another DHL warehouse waiting to go somewhere else. This morning it arrived in Delaware waiting for USPS to pick it up. They literally drove it past my house and took it 60 miles away so that USPS could pick it up and ship it back to my neighborhood. NewEgg only has to call USPS and say that they have packages to be picked up and they will pick up and deliver. Instead, NewEgg pays DHL to pick up the package and drive it around for a few days before they give it to USPS. How does paying two different companies to deliver the same package save anybody any money? It definitely doesn't save time! It would be nice to have a warning before I ordered but all that I am told is "Egg Saver" shipping. If I knew they were using DHL I would have ordered from TigerDirect. TigerDirect would have shipped it from Florida and I would already have it.
2013/04/26 11:28:21
OGM3X
I've been using the Asus VG248QE  monitor for about a month now , this monitor ROCKS  
2013/04/26 11:54:25
Zuhl3156
oG kill3r

I've been using the Asus VG248QE  monitor for about a month now , this monitor ROCKS  

Definitely!
I moved it back after the cable finally arrived this morning and it looks great. I don't have to change a thing! I am totally sorry that I didn't get this monitor sooner. I would recommend it. Absolutely no regrets here.
2013/04/26 12:49:16
BioHazardSperm
used my wifes laptop dying as excuse to buy it  (lol she bought it too) ordered her this
http://www.newegg.com/Pro...opPCs-_-83256542-L034D
and me the asus monitor
Not a bad deal overall for what she needs/uses it for ,may drop my 480 in it and a new PSU for her also .thanks all for the responses and intel,it really did assure me and sway my decision to buy this particular model.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account